Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 08:40 PM

296 posts, read 733,091 times

Advertisements

When I was on the phone with my friend tonight she told me that they have already started building it over there on route 1 is this true?Has anybody been over my route 1 lately an seen this?

I think this is a great idea considering how much the traffic has accumulated over the years here.I think Woodbridge should have had a metro system a long time ago.

Here is this article if you have not seen it:

Prince William Democrats Push Proposal to Extend Metro to Traffic-Snarled Area - washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 11:41 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,745,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90'sHip_Hop_Head View Post
When I was on the phone with my friend tonight she told me that they have already started building it over there on route 1 is this true?Has anybody been over my route 1 lately an seen this?

I think this is a great idea considering how much the traffic has accumulated over the years here.I think Woodbridge should have had a metro system a long time ago.

Here is this article if you have not seen it:

Prince William Democrats Push Proposal to Extend Metro to Traffic-Snarled Area - washingtonpost.com
Actually I don't think it would be a good idea. It would be real expensive for one and heavy rail transit isn't really designed to go that far. It would slow existing service. There is rail transit (VRE) in that area already, why not just expand that instead. I think it would probably be far cheaper.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:43 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,087,142 times
I recall a similar thread from a couple months ago where I suggested that a Yellow Line extension to Fort Belvoir might be reasonable once the economy is booming again. But a further extension to Woodbridge could be a bigger challenge, given the cost to build over the Occuquan River. I believe an interim solution would be to have Prince William's OmniRide buses go through Woodbridge on the way to Fort Belvoir and perhaps the Springfield or Huntington Metro stations.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:28 PM

389 posts, read 1,225,888 times
I would prefer it. The VRE does not run on the weekends, so when we want to go to DC, we park at Springfield. It would be nice to have a station that far south. It would also be nice if the VRE would run at least one train in and out on the weekend.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:59 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,497,930 times
They're currently expanding the VRE station in Woodbridge.

Capital Improvement Projects - Virginia Railway Express

Old 11-29-2009, 08:16 PM

15,402 posts, read 25,678,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90'sHip_Hop_Head View Post
When I was on the phone with my friend tonight she told me that they have already started building it over there on route 1 is this true?
Whatever they're doing on route 1 has nothing to do with Metro exppansion.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:55 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,928,683 times
Oh my. This reminds me of the metro extension to Dulles that they have been talking about for 40 YEARS. Yes, 40 years. Not to worry, it looks like it will be completed before 50 YEARS. I would advise you to NOT believe than ANY metro extension to Woodbridge will happen within the next few decades. There are no such plans and even with plans it could take decades.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:11 PM

296 posts, read 733,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They're currently expanding the VRE station in Woodbridge.

Capital Improvement Projects - Virginia Railway Express

Wow i guess you are right but it's weird how I found more than one article discussing the "build" of a metro being extended to Woodbridge It is even on the paul nichols website.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:28 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,861,659 times
By the time they get around to buiding a metro out to Woodbridge, we won't need one anymore because rail service will be obsolete.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:03 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,686,233 times
I'd think it'd be easier to do something VRE-like and just have it run more frequently and/or on weekends. Tracks are already there for the time being, and then over time they could build more so there isn't congestion on the tracks with CSX and Amtrak. Fewer stops than Metro would also make the ride a lot faster and convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia