Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 9,256 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I have been searching for churches and I have been told to check out McLean Bible Church as well as it has it has come across a few searches I have done.

I was wondering if anyone had been there and could give me an opinion on what McLean is like (ie the biblical teaching, diversity, ministries, etc). I am seriously concerned with the biblical teaching and diversity of the congregation.

Thanks I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 05:12 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
I don't know much about the biblical teaching, but I believe it leans to the conservative side if that helps. You're probably going to find a diverse congregation. McLean is a very popular mega church. People come from all over to attend services--a lot of folks even drive down from Maryland. (BTW, this also means traffic and parking near the church can be crazy on Sunday mornings.)

I've never actually been there because I'm not a mega church kinda gal. But I know a few people who go and they love it.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:19 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,570 times
Not sure what you mean by "diversity," but this church has several programs for special needs kids, including a respite program to give their parents some time off.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:37 PM

380 posts, read 1,159,731 times
To help in your decision you can listen to the sermons online or on the radio, WAVA 105.1 FM. Check out the website at mcleanbible.org. Lon Solomon is a good preacher, typically preaches topical rather than expository sermons. Non-denominational, but I think it's basically a conservative bible based baptist church. Not 100% positive but I think more arminian than calvinist.
You may also want to check out Capitol Hill Baptist Church. Mark Dever is the senior pastor. It's a conservative baptist church. I think more calvinist than arminian. Typically expository rather than topical preaching. You can also look them up online.
Due to the diversity of this area and the size of the congregations, I'm sure there is a wide diversity within the membership.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 13,104 times
You can watch online every Sunday at 9, 10:45 and 12:30 to hear Lon Solomon teach and Todd Phillips at 5:30. Rebroadcasts on Monday at noon and 2pm mbclive.org or mcleanbible.org click the internet campus button

Old 12-02-2009, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 13,104 times
Regarding diversity--there are several campuses; Tysons (near Vienna), Loudoun (near Sterling) and recently opened Prince William (near Manassas) Frontline is the young adult ministry (25-35 yr olds) and has several campuses as well. The Gathering is the college ministry (18-25 yr olds) and has a presence on most campuses around DC. There is a rich diversity in age, race, creed, ministries and styles or worship. There is a Spanish, Korean, Signed and Russian language translation live in services. And a Farsi and Spanish congregation/community at the Tysons campus.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:18 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,098 times
Great programs for singles!

Old 03-31-2010, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 18,408 times
Default Problems with MBC

There is another thread about MBC, "Mclean Bible Church (MBC) Controversy". Go check it out. Pretty sinister stuff.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:08 PM

702 posts, read 961,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsullivan View Post
To help in your decision you can listen to the sermons online or on the radio, WAVA 105.1 FM. Check out the website at mcleanbible.org. Lon Solomon is a good preacher, typically preaches topical rather than expository sermons. Non-denominational, but I think it's basically a conservative bible based baptist church. Not 100% positive but I think more arminian than calvinist.
You may also want to check out Capitol Hill Baptist Church. Mark Dever is the senior pastor. It's a conservative baptist church. I think more calvinist than arminian. Typically expository rather than topical preaching. You can also look them up online.
I'd second the recommendation for Capitol Hill Baptist. I don't go there, but from what I've read, Mark Dever is a strong, responsible church leader who has turned that church around. And yes, it is definitely Reformed (Calvinistic).

Personally I'd stay away from McLean Bible. I attended there for a few months a few years back and found its large size to be overwhelming and, like any megachurch, all too easy to hide in the crowd and avoid accountability. I was not impressed by the vast numbers of attenders and all the great facilities they have. I also sensed that they are a bit too worldly, taking the seeker-sensitive approach. I don't doubt there are some strong, faithful Christians who attend there, but the preaching, not being expository, does not promote spiritual growth (like living on baby food one's whole life).

Of course, all that may have changed since I was last there, but I doubt it.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:23 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyousir View Post
There is another thread about MBC, "Mclean Bible Church (MBC) Controversy". Go check it out. Pretty sinister stuff.
It should be mentioned that said thread was created by this poster, so avoid using his endorsement as "a second opinion" if you will. Also, after reading that thread, I suppose I have a different definition of "sinister"..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia