U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 01:27 AM

3,166 posts, read 4,244,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't think it's much different here than in most affluent suburbs of major cities. In Naperville, Westchester, Buck's County, and Montgomery County you're going to find the same type of thing. The point I was trying to make is that those "extras" don't contribute to kids' success nearly as much as what goes on inside the home. Don't confuse correlation with causation.
What about kids who have parents who are working two jobs and have no time to provide for their children's education at home? Or the parents who don't speak English? Or have no education themselves? Or a single mom who can barely cope? What about those kids? Don't they at least deserve a decent education in public schools? Don't they deserve to able to learn real math, at their level, without a parent who can afford a tutor or teach themselves at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 01:32 AM

3,166 posts, read 4,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novajs View Post
The supposedly good Fairfax county public schools on the whole are not academically challenging enough even for the average students. There might be a few individual schools that offer a good enough education but chances are the housing costs are going to be huge.

As a parent you will need to be very involved to supplement your kids education or go find a private school that suits your needs.
You are SOOOO right. What a shame for those kids who don't have parents who can supplement their education. And the educrats can't understand why there is and ever increasing ''gap'' between more affluent kids and poor kids. If only they would educate ALL the kids, so that parents didn't have to supplement so much, poor kids would have a fighting chance at getting a REAL education. But no such REAL education in public schools anymore. It's the poor who suffer because of it.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:32 AM

50,007 posts, read 47,101,239 times
the difference between ratings and reality performance is sobering.
it reminds me of the soviet unions stats, lies made up by liars.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:28 AM

316 posts, read 390,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Oh my gosh, Algebra in 8th grade is considered the advanced program in Prince William?! That's terrible! In Fairfax gifted kids take it 7th grade and have for over a decade. Some kids take it even earlier.

It's a shame that Prince William has dumbed down their math program to this extent and even worse they have adopted the worst math textbook series Math Investigations, over the objections of the parents. Once again, political correctness prohibits the teaching of real math.

Yup, the new math program in the elementary school SUCKS!!! My neighbors are ALL tutoring their kids in math.

It is not suprising when "parents" will push for their kids to be in the "gifted" program even if they aren't. And those in extended Math -- some shouldn't be in there but there is the "push" to get the kids in there.

Why do you think there are so few PWC kids at TJ???? Very few take geometry by 8th grade. I don't know if it is the strict scoring on IOWA in 6th grade (you pretty much have to score a 100% on it to take algebra in 7th) or the fact it costs extra bucks to send the kid to HS to take geometry and then route the kid back to their middle school. Let's just say there is no incentive to have more kids taking Algebra in 7th and then geometry in 8th.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:38 AM

2,523 posts, read 4,877,182 times
Algebra is a big deal in 8th grade Prince William? Heck, I grew up in a working class neighborhood and we had Algebra in 6th grade!

A lot does depend on what goes on inside the home, Why do you think all those Asians and East Indians end up doing so well in school? Genetic? No., School? No, THEY ARE EXPECTED TO WORK HARD IN THEIR FAMILY -thats what - parents need to participate in their childs educations - and crack the whip when the kids get lazy. On the flip side - coming from a family of so-called highly educated people has nothing to do with it - you can come from a family of poor factory workers who have a great work ethic and still succeed.

And about taxes - Fairfax County property taxes are MUCH lower than most of the country. Now I say most - not all.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:55 PM

413 posts, read 727,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Algebra is a big deal in 8th grade Prince William? Heck, I grew up in a working class neighborhood and we had Algebra in 6th grade!

A lot does depend on what goes on inside the home, Why do you think all those Asians and East Indians end up doing so well in school? Genetic? No., School? No, THEY ARE EXPECTED TO WORK HARD IN THEIR FAMILY -thats what - parents need to participate in their childs educations - and crack the whip when the kids get lazy. On the flip side - coming from a family of so-called highly educated people has nothing to do with it - you can come from a family of poor factory workers who have a great work ethic and still succeed.

And about taxes - Fairfax County property taxes are MUCH lower than most of the country. Now I say most - not all.
True, but the level of ease to achieve such success is more accomplishable if you're coming from a wealthy family.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:23 PM

2,439 posts, read 5,980,189 times
"On the flip side - coming from a family of so-called highly educated people has nothing to do with it - you can come from a family of poor factory workers who have a great work ethic and still succeed."

The real issue is not poverty, per se, but family structure. Children from intact, two-parent families tend to do better on every observable dimension than children from single-parent families.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:02 PM

88 posts, read 167,776 times
[quote=claremarie;11944014 The real issue is not poverty, per se, but family structure. Children from intact, two-parent families tend to do better on every observable dimension than children from single-parent families.[/quote]

Will you provide your source for this statement? Or is this just your opinion?

Old 12-08-2009, 08:07 PM

26,450 posts, read 46,879,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housewatcher View Post
Will you provide your source for this statement? Or is this just your opinion?
I'll back you up here, as I was friends with two lower-middle-class girls in high school who came from single-parent households (one a widower and one where the father left when she was a young age). Both are very well-adjusted in life, and I am very proud of their accomplishments. One has just bought a house in Florida with her fiancee. One is engaged and living in Pittsburgh (sigh...seems like so many I know were smart and moved to Pittsburgh to begin with! LOL!)

As long as that ONE parent is strong-willed and devoted to his or her child I see no reason why that child can't grow up to be successful. Is it more difficult for one person to balance a career and effective child-rearing without the aid of a spouse? You bet. Is it impossible? Not at all.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:08 PM

77 posts, read 148,283 times
Housewatcher I would like a response too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia