Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:43 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,274,971 times

Advertisements

I came to NOVA expecting outstanding schools, especially when you read about how high the test scores are in this area. Coming from a very poor state with low test scores I expected my boys to either be behind or have problems, instead I have found for my 2 older boys they are perhaps alittle more advanced. However, for my 3rd grader I find they are teaching a language arts/reading program that was created to help ESL students learn to read better. They are teaching phonics in the 3rd grade, he learned phonics beginning in kinder and already has an established reading base, so he is very bored when doing language arts and reading. Since we are going back to our home state in FEb and he will attend the same school as last year, they were kind enough to send me some workbooks and other things to help supplement him here at home. Very frustrating to me. Of course we are not in the FFX school districts so it may be different there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 12:38 PM

132 posts, read 324,002 times
The supposedly good Fairfax county public schools on the whole are not academically challenging enough even for the average students. There might be a few individual schools that offer a good enough education but chances are the housing costs are going to be huge.

As a parent you will need to be very involved to supplement your kids education or go find a private school that suits your needs.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:47 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
In my opinion, test scores and other measures of school quality really reflect the quality of the students more than that of the schools themselves. Teachers and schools are not that different from place to place. Other than class size, the determinant of the speed of learning your child will experience is probably more a function of the capabilities of the other students in the class. If your child is in a class of slow learners, they'll probably be bored. On the other hand, if the other kids are more advanced and quicker learners, your child may get frustrated at not being able to keep up. In Fairfax County there are honors, AP, and IB courses that are designed to keep the more capable high school learners challenged. In the elementary and middle schools GT and other groupings and techniques are used to accomplish the same thing. The other factor in here is that Virginia has SOL tests that the schools teach to.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novajs View Post
The supposedly good Fairfax county public schools on the whole are not academically challenging enough even for the average students.
Based on my first hand experience, I don't agree. The schools in my area are not even considered the top ones and my kids got excellent educations. Much better than when I was a kid. The biggest thing you can do to help your kids is make sure they do their homework and study for tests.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:24 PM

132 posts, read 324,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Based on my first hand experience, I don't agree. The schools in my area are not even considered the top ones and my kids got excellent educations. Much better than when I was a kid. The biggest thing you can do to help your kids is make sure they do their homework and study for tests.
I don't have experience with middle and high schools here. But from my first hand experience with our elementary school, which was ranked high based on test scores, the Math and science currilum is way too easy. The everyday Math they used doesn't teach you basic concepts and abstract thinking. The homework is very light. Half day kindergarten and Half day on Monday just don't cut it in this day and age. My son just started the GT center. It is not that challenging in terms of the difficulty of the curricum and the work load.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:13 PM

My daughter didn't even go to kindergarten, had the half days on Mondays and graduated from one of the best universities in the state. My son did the same and scored over 2200 on the SATs and was a national merit scholar (he did GT, she didn't). Especially since your son's in GT, he'll be fine. Homework is overrated and for the most part unnecessary busywork in my experience.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:18 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
So if Fairfax County Public Schools are NOT living up to the "hype," then what are all of the high taxes here paying for? Why are housing prices so high? I just found out that due to my vehicle's value I'll likely be paying a $700 "car tax." If 50% of the county's budget is devoted to education, then I want a refund of $350 if the money is not being well spent.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:29 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novajs View Post
I don't have experience with middle and high schools here. But from my first hand experience with our elementary school, which was ranked high based on test scores, the Math and science currilum is way too easy.
The elementary education science curriculum is atrocious. My oldest is in a GT center and we supplement a great deal for science education. I am content with the compacted math program, although we supplement (Singapore Math) with that as well.

We looked at private and there was nothing that worked for us. Homeschooling is not an option for our family.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:39 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,309,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I read on this forum that the county is 500 million in debt. Don't see that helping either.

http://www.city-data.com/county/Fairfax_County-VA.html
The school district faces about a $168 million dollar shortfall. They are looking at some changes in advanced academics (GT), such as a 20% reduction in AA resource teachers.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:40 PM

I haven't noticed any difficulty with the kids here getting into and doing well in good colleges and then getting out and getting good jobs. Fairfax is near the top of all school districts in the country for college admission test scores. That's the true measure of a school system. On that score, the Fairfax County schools are doing very well.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 12-07-2009 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia