Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:49 PM

26,695 posts, read 41,675,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Oh well. It was a nice idea while it lasted.
So what is your plan for dealing with the expiring lease? I seriously recommend renting a room. I know it will stink but it makes saving for Pittsburgh a whole lot easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 06:48 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,504,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
So what is your plan for dealing with the expiring lease? I seriously recommend renting a room. I know it will stink but it makes saving for Pittsburgh a whole lot easier.
I will cross that path when I come to it. I still have until May to make that decision. Hopefully by that time I'll no longer be single, and I can move my better half in with me and renew my lease (splitting my cost in half), or we can both find a new place together.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:51 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,078,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Good points. I'll only add:
If one (or more) of the roomies bails on a joint expense- due to job loss, bad with money, doesn't want to live there anymore, whatever reason - it will be up to the remaining housemates to fork over the extra cash or risk having the utilities turned off, eviction etc. Of course, the housemates could always pool their hard earned money to hire a lawyer and sue the (ex) roomie(s) for money owed to them but that isn't cheap either.
It all depends how the landlord agrees to rent the place out. For example, utilities might be included in the rent. Or s/he may have separate leases for each individual. That way, if one individual wants out (or needs to get tossed out!), it won't affect the situation of the others.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:05 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,136,875 times
Quote:
I'm still honestly trying to figure out WHAT that "reason" is. After living here a half-year I don't see what makes Tyson's Corner or Reston "better" places to live than Arlington or DC.
In the case of Tysons Corner, it's convenience to the job engine of the region, which you can probably appreciate as you've recounted in your stories of a seven-mile commute to and from there taking almost an hour.

In the case of Reston, it's just a desirable place to live for a lot of people. Perhaps not so much for young professionals but, as you've conceded, certainly for families and others for whom Arlington and DC isn't necessarily an attraction.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:14 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,136,875 times
Quote:
I will cross that path when I come to it. I still have until May to make that decision. Hopefully by that time I'll no longer be single, and I can move my better half in with me and renew my lease (splitting my cost in half), or we can both find a new place together.
Hey, we all need love. Friendships don't hurt either. Without knowing your financial priorities, I still maintain that you could go share a nice place in Arlington or Alexandria with your future partner/good buddy for no more (or probably a little less) than what you're paying now and use some of that $8K raise to enjoy life a little more around here.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:42 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,219,953 times
Quote:
I'm still honestly trying to figure out WHAT that "reason" is. After living here a half-year I don't see what makes Tyson's Corner or Reston "better" places to live than Arlington or DC.
People live in Tyson's Corner? I've never heard of anyone describing it as a desirable location. McLean, Vienna, yes.

Now, these are not my preferences, but I know others have a preference for Reston or Fairfax County suburbs over Arlington because of larger houses for the money, more modern houses, and a newer feel. Again, not my thing, but can't deny it matters to many others (perhaps you'll one day broaden your mind to realize not everyone sees things like you - or even should). Many people do not want a 1940s house with tiny bedrooms, attic rooms with no closets, no walk-in closets, no garage, a 60 year old furnace, corroding pipes, etc.

As to these areas versus DC - many people have a low regard for cities. Think of the many people who move to our area from parts of the country that are more rural, or where cities are decrepit and everyone who can afford to lives in the suburbs. When they come here, will they move into DC? No way. Crime and abysmal schools also deter people.

But you - you claim you seek the vibrancy and character of true urban life. If you're now willing to have roommates and a place in Oakton (please for the love of everything don't expect Oakton to cure your Reston malaise), what's stopping you from grabbing what you desire and getting a roommate in Arlington or DC? After all, Warhol left for NYC as soon as he could get the heck out of the small provincial nowhere he was born in. Oh yeah, that was Pittsburgh!

"I hate being odd in a small town
If they stare let them stare in New York City" (Lou Reed, Songs for Drella)

Old 12-10-2009, 01:31 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,875,279 times
Excellent! I'm out of town for two weeks (give or take), and, when I return, there's a fresh 'n' juicy SB soap opera episode playing! Pass. the. popcorn.

Please don't take that wrong, Scran - in all seriousness, I'm glad you're here. We need voices of dissent here on the Northern Virginia forum. And, well, you just keep things spicy here in virtual NoVa, which is cool. I mean hot. As for your problem, I still doubt you're ever going to like it here. I've lived here for four years now, have maintained through that entire period roughly your same complaints about the area, and still get a weird migraine-dyspepsia combination when I'm anywhere but select neighborhoods of D.C. proper (and maybe Old Town Alexandria outside of tourist season, and of course F'burg, but that doesn't count since it's too far from our places of employment for most of us to live). I have fallen in love with 'Old Town' Fairfax ("City") and really look forward to moving (near) there and giving NoVA one more chance (not that I'll necessarily be able to leave if I don't like it.. I'll just finally be forced to surrender to a permanent state of dissatisfaction). But I am optimistic. What I'd really like is to open a random-but-well-edited little tschotschke boutique (you know, a few toys, stationery, select fragrances, [local?] artisinal jewelry, etc.) in the middle of downtown Fairfax. (Non-Alexandria/-Arlington/-Tysons Corner NoVA needs retail, dammit!) But anyway. I think you have about a 50-50 chance of ever learning to like it here, but you're very young and have time (and a job!!), so go for it.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:58 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,913,215 times
Quote:
I hope you meet somebody nice... and someone who likes Pittsburgh. It would be too cool if you could hook up with a guy who wants to move to Pittsburgh with you when the time comes.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:08 PM

110 posts, read 268,669 times
Honestly, you're too young and life is too short to be that miserable where you live. If you can find a job in a location you think better suits you, go for it. You're more likely to regret the things you didn't do than the things you did.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:27 AM

182 posts, read 540,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I've lived here for four years now, have maintained through that entire period roughly your same complaints about the area, and still get a weird migraine-dyspepsia combination when I'm anywhere but select neighborhoods of D.C. proper (and maybe Old Town Alexandria outside of tourist season, and of course F'burg, but that doesn't count since it's too far from our places of employment for most of us to live).
Wow, that sums up my 3-year stint (and counting) in NoVA to a T!! Bravo! Though I can tolerate this area and am very greatful for the amazing job opportunites and ability to earn enough money to pay my bills, save, and go on trips, I certainly look forward to the day I can move to a different place.

For Scran, I really recommend you expedite your move to PA. Trust me, hopping from one nova suburb to the next isn't going to make you happy. And living with 5, 4, or even 3 roommates will undoubtedly lead to some tension/drama/etc. If I were you I'd work my butt off trying to secure a job in Pittsburg, and the second you get that job, start looking at places to rent. You really need this and at your age, all is left to gain. Wishing you all the best of luck with your next transition!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia