Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,472 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been in NoVa for over a year now, and I'm about ready to switch from renting (in Burke) to owning. I want to focus my house-searching efforts in areas that meet two factors:

One, it needs to be within reasonable distance of a VRE station. I work within walking distance of the Alexandria station, and I couldn't imagine having to drive in every day.

And two, it needs to be in my price range of $200-300k for a townhouse or single-family home, but in a neighborhood that is reasonably low crime. (Okay, maybe that last one is yet another factor )

My thoughts at the moment are the Manassas/Manassas Park area or the Lorton/Woodbridge area, but I don't know enough about the crime situation in those areas (aside from some parts of both Manassas and Woodbridge not being so good).

Any thoughts/suggestions on areas near the VRE where I should focus my efforts? Am I overlooking some good areas? Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 04:52 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
There are a lot of SFHs in North Springfield under $300K that are maybe 1-2 miles from the VRE station on Backlick Road -- although that's close enough to your work (7 miles?) that you may prefer to drive

Old 12-09-2009, 04:57 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Check out the Braemar subdivision off Linton Hall Rd just outside Manassas off RT 28. (Nokesville Rd) Plenty of townhomes in here although I don't know what they are selling for. Crime is still not an issue here although there is no such thing as a "crime free" neighborhood. Even gated communities experience crime at some point. Braemar is a short drive to the Manassas VRE near the airport.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:27 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
There are houses for sale in that price range in Burke. Is there a reason you would not want to live in Burke? You would be in the Fairfax County school system, which makes the area attractive for a future resale. You would know that area well enough to know which areas would suit you. Check out the houses for sale at homesdatabase.com.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:47 AM

389 posts, read 1,229,420 times
I don't know if you want to come out this far, but we love living near the Brook VRE in Stafford.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,472 times
Margery: I've been using Redfin for a good bit of my research so far, and they only list a few properties in Burke in my price range. I don't know if homesdatabase.com includes listings on properties that aren't actively on the market, but that might explain the difference.

In any case, I'm certainly keeping Burke in mind as well, but as a first-time homebuyer, I want to make sure I've considered lots of options before I make a decision.

Thanks all for your help! Any other suggestions people want to offer are quite welcome as well.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:05 AM

389 posts, read 1,229,420 times
as far as i know, homesdatabase is always up to date....i had heard it was the most up to date website for this area

Old 12-10-2009, 11:32 AM

437 posts, read 1,228,634 times
Try looking in franklymls.com, you can do a search under "Burke" or by zip code, set the price for under $330k. Franklymls.com seems be up-to-date site and it has the best detail from my experience.

Just doing a search for active properties in 22015 under $300k today there are 18 properties.

FranklyMLS.com Virginia & DC MLS via Keyword Search & Wiki. Homes for Sale

I think if you look around, you can find a property to suit you in the Burke/Springfield area if you are interested in staying there, some of the ones I pulled up looked like they are near the Burke Center VRE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia