Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 02:58 PM

8 posts, read 21,065 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer from IBM for 60k as a consultant with base location at Herndon, VA, though I will be consulting mostly in Washington, DC area.

First of all, should I be looking for a apartment to rent in or around DC area or Herndon, VA?
Is 60k salary enough to have somewhat of a living around Herndon, VA <-> DC area. I've heard taxes in this area are really high and seems to some extent, the rent. From my analysis so far using paycheckcity.com and looking at some rates of apartments in or around Herndon, VA, it seems like after taxes I will make 30k (after taxes and rent). Is that good enough to live in this area? I am still in college and wont be graduating for another six months. But i need to make a decision about this job by the end of this month. If I was living in this area already I would have taken it but I am moving in from Philadelphia, $60k here is very good but I am not sure if its the same case in DC.

BTW, any other neighborhoods you would mention that are safe to stay in?
Whats the best way to find an apartment too..
Sorry but this is all new to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 03:36 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
$60K for a single person should be okay. For a night life kind of place Reston would be good for you which is right next to Herndon. It is fairly expensive but you may be able to find a decent rent or even a room mate if you so wish. I don't know of any place to find an apartment, but you could look on Craigslist under Virginia and then the subcat of Northern Virginia. Apartment.com may also have some stuff for you.
If you are not looking for a singles area, then Sterling may be okay. There are some very nice parts to Sterling and it is also next to Herndon. (Some people will try and tell you Sterling is awful and that is true for some areas. I really love the Cascades and Countryside in Sterling)

Arlington is great for singles as well but that is much farther and if I were you I would want to keep my commute as short as possible.

Good luck!

Old 12-14-2009, 03:40 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
$60K will go further in Philly for sure, but it's not so far behind DC in being expensive. I think you will do fine in the Herndon area at that salary for a single person. I am from the Philadelphia suburbs originally so I am pretty familiar with the cost of living in both places. (As an aside, my nephew is graduating from college in May and just got an offer in NYC for $65K and he is taking it. I think $60K will go further here than $65K in NY.) Good luck!

Old 12-14-2009, 04:11 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
No worries! I moved here on a $45,000 salary and I am doing just fine. I live in Herndon my rent is just over a thousand and I have a car payment. I think on $60,000 you will be doing pretty darn good to be honest. Plus it sounds like its room for career advancement in that job. The DC area is a great place to be for a secure career. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:12 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
You can definitely live comfortably here on a $60,000 salary. I'm earning a $41,000 salary, and while my expenses are even with my income I also had a good safety cushion of savings when I moved here. Otherwise I'd be broke. I could see myself living with enough income to outpace my expenses to be able to save a bit more again if I were earning just $50,000. At $60,000 you should be able to support yourself AND be able to hit up Reston Town Center from time to time to enjoy some of the fun (yet very expensive) entertainment options there. You don't get a lot for your money here, but apparently once you earn a decent salary this place is heaven on Earth. Best of luck to you!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:13 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
$60K in Philly is like the mid $40Ks in Northern Virginia.

Or another way of putting it, $60K in NOVA is like about $75K back in Philly.

If you have no debts and don't drive a Maserati, you'll be able to live comfortably in a 1B apartment and moderately indulge in local fun.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:08 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
There are quite a few low-rise apartment complexes along highway 50 near there you might want to take a look at. Plenty of good shopping and restaurants are nearby.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:18 PM

8 posts, read 21,065 times
Thanks everyone...!
Why does everyone keep saying its expensive to have fun around the area. Honestly, from my searches online it doesn't seem there is anything fun to do in Virginia, besides regular movie theaters and parks (are businesses like these limited in NOVA?). Everything is on the other side of the river, other words DC.
Honestly though if I find a good church that I could take part in I would be just fine... Speaking of which, where are some good protestant/non-denominational churches in NOVA located?

Old 12-15-2009, 11:48 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GujuNilesh View Post
Thanks everyone...!
Why does everyone keep saying its expensive to have fun around the area. Honestly, from my searches online it doesn't seem there is anything fun to do in Virginia, besides regular movie theaters and parks (are businesses like these limited in NOVA?). Everything is on the other side of the river, other words DC.
Honestly though if I find a good church that I could take part in I would be just fine... Speaking of which, where are some good protestant/non-denominational churches in NOVA located?
Things that are expensive - going out to dinner, bars, sporting events, joining a gym, concerts - things like that. There are other fun things that are cheap such as bike rides down the W&OD and other bike trails, lots of parks, sport leagues, museums, etc. Yes, a lot of things to do are in DC but that's part of moving to this area. Lots of the nightlife is in the city. Out in Herndon you will get a more suburban environment.

There are tons of protestant churches all around Northern Virginia, but I'll let someone else address that (I'm Jewish. :-))

Old 12-16-2009, 05:20 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Entertainment can be pricey if you like things like eating in fine restaurants, club hopping, and going to the theater. IMO, this is not a reflection on Nova-- those activities are expensive no matter where you live. If you like things like hiking, going to museums, or art shows then you can find plenty of entertainment for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia