Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:25 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordPony90 View Post
You are in dire need of perspective. Maybe you just act this way on here because you know so many will respond to you. If so, boy, you got what you wanted. People are giving very rational responses, and you continue to ignore them.
Perhaps I'm giving rational defenses to justify as to why I felt so personally offended by the disgusting actions a stranger was causing to another stranger, and it is these defensive replies that are being automatically disavowed and ignored?

Old 12-15-2009, 04:34 PM

123 posts, read 246,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Perhaps I'm giving rational defenses to justify as to why I felt so personally offended by the disgusting actions a stranger was causing to another stranger, and it is these defensive replies that are being automatically disavowed and ignored?
No, you haven't. You stepped over the line with what you did in the parking lot.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
No, you haven't. You stepped over the line with what you did in the parking lot.
What did I do in the parking lot, exactly? I envisioned backing up slowly just to make this woman even more late for her engagement. I envisioned having her bump into me inadvertently just to see her throw her hands up in the air and yell at me so I could give her a piece of my mind. Did I actually do any of it? No. Would I have endangered the lives of anyone? No.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:41 PM

4 posts, read 8,570 times
Quote:
Exactly the point many posters have been trying to make, yet he isn't listening. In his mind that behaviour is fine, even though more than 99% of the population would not think to create such an incident over a customer service encounter. It also shows low respect for women - making fun of her weight, etc.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:44 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye2000 View Post
Exactly the point many posters have been trying to make, yet he isn't listening. In his mind that behaviour is fine, even though more than 99% of the population would not think to create such an incident over a customer service encounter. It also shows low respect for women - making fun of her weight, etc.
I think he was showing low respect for that one woman. In that case she deserved it for how she treated that fast food worker who by the way was a woman that ScranBarre vigorously defended.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye2000 View Post
1.) I have many overweight friends. One of my ex-boyfriends was overweight. I don't take issue in general with overweight people. I decided to make fun of her (and only her) for this facet in particular because I want her to see what it feels like to be bullied for something you can't help. I found it ironic as well that someone who shouldn't have been at a Chick-Fil-A in the first place made herself even later for an already late appointment/meeting by going there.

2.) Did I actually cause a collision in the parking lot? No. Did the thought fleetingly cross my mind? Yes.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:02 PM

4 posts, read 8,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
1.) I have many overweight friends. One of my ex-boyfriends was overweight. I don't take issue in general with overweight people. I decided to make fun of her (and only her) for this facet in particular because I want her to see what it feels like to be bullied for something you can't help. I found it ironic as well that someone who shouldn't have been at a Chick-Fil-A in the first place made herself even later for an already late appointment/meeting by going there.

2.) Did I actually cause a collision in the parking lot? No. Did the thought fleetingly cross my mind? Yes.
1. Do you tell those overweight friends of yours that they don't belong in Chick-Fil-A. Or is it just this one overweight woman you encountered?

2. You said in your first post "I had parked my Mazda in a spot that was nearly directly behind the impatient and "important" woman's Prius, so when I got into my car I waited to watch her get into her car. I had wanted to wait for her to get ready to back up so I could back up first---very, very slowly---just to prolong the amount of time she would be late as a punishment for how callously she treated that young girl, who was nearly in tears by the time I had left. I was secretly hoping the nasty businesswoman would actually BUMP into my car with her Prius, just to make her day even more "miserable" as I filed an insurance claim against her for putting a dent into my own "baby." "

Now you change the story to you "fleetingly" had these thoughts. Obviously not, you continued to post about them several hours later in the first post in this thread. And there was nothing fleeting sounding about it in your original post.

You still don't see how you are guilty of the same behaviours. What if the person you are behind tailgating has had a bad day, and is just trying to make a left turn ahead of you while you are riding their tail? Apparently, that is OK, and you think since Fairfax County Police don't enforce some faster driving behaviour in the left land you've appointed yourself to do it.

As far as my looking at your posts, just because I haven't posted here doesn't mean I haven't seen your many many posts, which is not that hard to do given the frequency of your posts. If you only posted a few times, you'd have a point, but it is invalidated due to the high frequency of your posts.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:08 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Moderator cut: Quoted post removed

This is a good example of why NoVA people argue with you so much- you take one anecdote and make it into a conclusion about the whole area.

The same can be said for this whole thread. It's not about NoVA. It's about one person who you perceived to be self-important. Can you blame us NoVans for defending our area from these constant smears that are only based on anecdotal evidence?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 12-15-2009 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Quoted post removed

Old 12-15-2009, 07:22 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
Here's my opinion...not that there haven't been enough...... NOVA and all the little D.C. suburbs are full of what can be perceived as really rude, self-absorbed people. If you don't see that, you're blind. I've lived all over this country (literally ever region) and overseas. This is our third time in the D.C. area. I have a lot to compare it to.

BUT...I don't think it's an intentional rudeness. I think people in this area are so rushed, so stressed, and so crowded that they just don't see others the way folks in other parts of the country do. I am fortunate in that I don't have to work. I'm home full time with the kids. This in turn, dramtially reduces the stress in my husband's life. Most people in this area don't have that luxery.

Sometimes I'll jump on the metro early in the morning to hit the malls before they get crowded. I sit and just watch the expressions on people's faces. Angry, stressed, exhausted faces. No one talks to each other. They just mindlessly pile on and off of the crowded, smelly, sometimes hot metro. Day after day, week after week, year after year. Most wear headphones. They don't interact with anyone...the don't want to. They leave before the sun comes up and come home after dark. Their kids spend ten plus hours a day in daycare and come home grumpy and exhausted as well. If you're lucky, you get home in time to eat a late supper with your kids. Both parent likely work, so there is probably a mad rush to get homework done. You finally get the kids fed just in time to put them to bed. That's reality for most people in this area.

Compare that to life in a smaller town. You get up and have breakfast with your family. Head out the door about 7:30 or 8. Make a five or ten minute commute to work. Maybe meet your wife for lunch. You take another relatively traffic free ten minute ride home. Cost of living is significantly lower, so many times once parent chooses to stay at home. Supper is ready when you get home. And you have the whole night to do homework with kids, play, and relax. That's reality.....that was my life before we were reassigned up here.

I don't dislike NOVA. I think it's a great place to live. But it's not an easy place to live. It's crowded, stressful, competitive, and fast paced. A lot of what appears to be rude behavior is more likely oblivious behavior. That fast food worker didn't deserve rude treatment....but she was just another obstacle in the customer's already difficult day.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:47 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The issue has been discussed, and is consistently veering off topic into language issues and personal attacks. Thread closed.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia