Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:58 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
yeah..I lived in State College for a bit and it is lovely. BUT I live just one or two miles from this land where they are thinking of building and I am not so sure I want a bunch of college kids running around...It was fine when I was a single person, it was even fine when we had no kids. But having little kids...I just don't know if I want that type of environment for my kids. There are not many bars around here so that leads me to believe there would be a lot of house parties and thus a lot of noise and such. If this does happen I think we will have to think long and hard if we want to stay here. On the upside, as you mentioned, there will be concerts and such which I do like. I just wonder how this will affect resale.
The main campus is much larger and the greater Fairfax-Fairfax Station area is not overrun with college students creating mayhem, and an unsafe environment for small children. The worst issue is the traffic generated by the school and by events at the Patriot Center. I really don't think that it will create much of an issue at all in the surrounding community.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 07:15 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
I wonder where the Commonwealth is getting the dough to build a new GMU campus....or all the construction at the Fairfax campus, for that matter?

I thought we were broke....we can't even afford pee stops on the Interstates....we're letting the Aussies build Lexus Lanes on the Beltway....I hit a pothole the other day that already had a car in it!

What gives?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:54 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Maybe they've had some specific donations for this expansion? The land was donated to the college by developer Van Metre, it makes sense that there could be other donations too.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:02 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Maybe they've had some specific donations for this expansion? The land was donated to the college by developer Van Metre, it makes sense that there could be other donations too.

I wonder what they gave Van Metre in return....big developers don't donate ANYTHING for the hell of it.

I wouldn't think GMU gets much in the way of endowments....but I don't know....

Old 12-15-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I wonder what they gave Van Metre in return....big developers don't donate ANYTHING for the hell of it...

LOL, good point and yes, indeed that is a $64,000 question. Maybe I'll see if it's in the Independent tomorrow, those guys always seem to know what's going on.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:04 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Ha, when I googled this to find more information, the fourth item to show up on Google was this thread!

Old 12-15-2009, 09:15 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Part of it has to do with the prestige that it will bring to Broadlands, and part of it might be a legacy to the elder Van Metre who died last year. Perhaps the campus, or at least the main building, will be named for him, etc. And, it's not a bad tax write-off.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-16-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Ha, when I googled this to find more information, the fourth item to show up on Google was this thread!
LOL--You know, that's happened to me quite a few times. The power of our forum!

Old 12-16-2009, 10:59 AM

738 posts, read 2,956,082 times
Ironically, they've been building what looks to be a huge new apartment complex at the end of Old Ryan Rd. and Loudoun Cty Pkwy - that's not too far away from where the proposed campus would be. I wonder if they had insider info that a campus was being planned for here in the future.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
Ironically, they've been building what looks to be a huge new apartment complex at the end of Old Ryan Rd. and Loudoun Cty Pkwy - that's not too far away from where the proposed campus would be. I wonder if they had insider info that a campus was being planned for here in the future.
How much you want to bet those apartments are being built by Van Metre!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia