Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:43 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

So many families in Ashburn/Sterling/Herndon/Reston have kids going to GMU. So I think this is a fantastic thing, not only because my kids won't have to drive as far, but because it will relieve congestion on the route to Fairfax. Shorter drives take a lot of cars off the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 12:46 PM

15 posts, read 48,729 times
I teach part time as an adjunct for GMU, and in the 9 years I've been associated with them, the student body has changed considerably. It was a commuter school, almost entirely from NoVA. The students were a mix of NOVA transfers, part timers, adults going back to school after hitting the wall in their field, kids who couldn't afford to go anywhere else and were living at home, and a small minority of traditional college students. Based on what I've seen in my classroom, they've changed to a much larger majority of traditional students, and fewer of the non-traditional students. I still have night classes dominated by the non-traditional types.
No hard numbers here, but in my estimation, the number of on-campus students living in dorms has at least tripled since I started working. They've been building dorms constantly since at least 02. One of the reasons for this (at least it was in 2000) was that the state will pay a larger majority of the cost for a dorm, rather than an academic building. So they build dorms, and convert older dorms into academic space. Va Tech has done this extensively since the early 90's, and most of the original dorms except corps of cadet residences are now office space.
As for the ashburn campus, it's not going to be a giant party scene with drunken freshmen staggering through peoples lawns while trying to find the next party. I doubt that there will be any residential dorms, and the vast majority of the facilities there will be geared towards a few undergrad classes, along with popular graduate programs (MBA, MIT, MEd). Undergrad students may take a few gen ed classes out there, but they're still going to have to go to the fairfax campus to get the majority of their coursework out of the way. It's very lucrative though to have evening classes for various masters programs out in that area, because there's a large population out in that part of the NoVa region who could benefit from it, and more importantly work for large corporations who would be willing to pay for it. George Washington University has mastered the art of this, and in some cases offers MBA's where they bring hte professors into the company's facilities, rather than have the employees go to a university sattelite campus.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:53 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
I agree that GMU's rep as a "commuter school" is outdated. I regularly cut through the Fairfax campus and on the weekend that students return, there are LOTS of out-of-state cars about.

Another thing is that a fair number of students that live in the area choose to live on campus even though they could easily commute.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,402 times
When is the GMU in Ashburn, Va expected to open?

Old 03-03-2011, 06:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvsmith0 View Post
When is the GMU in Ashburn, Va expected to open?

Funny you should ask this. I was just wondering the same thing yesterday. Anyone know?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:45 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times
Where exactly is this property?

Old 03-04-2011, 04:43 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Where exactly is this property?
It's in Broadlands, near Greenway exit 6 (which is where the terminal Silver Line Metro stop will be).

Old 03-04-2011, 09:54 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times
Could you be a little more specific? How near is it to the gas station on Loudoun County Pkway at exit 6?

Old 03-05-2011, 12:44 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Could you be a little more specific? How near is it to the gas station on Loudoun County Pkway at exit 6?
The Exxon on Loudoun County Parkway is off exit 7. There is another Exxon off exit 6 - Mooreview Parkway/Ashburn Village Boulevard (the Exxon is in Ryan Park shopping center).

The GMU property is on the other side of the Greenway from Ryan Park. It is situated between Demott Drive and the Greenway, south of Waxpool Road, northwest of the Broadlands wetlands preservation area off Mooreview Parkway.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:36 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
So what happened to this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia