U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 05:10 PM

887 posts, read 2,870,029 times

Advertisements

I think I'll take my little elderly buddy to see some Christmas lights/decorations and the kids with Santa.

In your opinion, which mall is the most gussied up for Christmas - Tysons Corner, Fair Oaks Mall, or Dulles Town Center?

Also, which one has a "Christmas Store?" This is a seasonal store that just sells decorations and such. When I look in the store directories, I don't know how this store would be classified, so I can't find it? When I google the words "Tysons Corner Mall Christmas Store," I'm not getting what I'm looking for.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 06:03 PM

15,400 posts, read 17,891,885 times
I haven't been to Fair Oaks so can't tell you about it. Neither Dulles nor Tysons have Christmas Stores this year. They used to have those stores, but not this year. The decorations are pretty at both of those malls but not excepional. Of the two, Tyson's might be more fun. They have a whole forest of Christmas Trees that's pretty cool.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:09 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,209,811 times
Not sure about Christmas stores in malls, but the Christmas Attic in Old Town Alexandria (125 South Union St.) is really cute:

http://www.christmasattic.com/index.aspx

Old 12-15-2009, 08:46 PM

Occoquan has lots of Christmas stores and other fun little shops.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:33 PM

962 posts, read 956,646 times
Tysons 1 usually has a seasonal store. I havent checked this year though. I know they had one for halloween so it would be stupid not to have one for Christmas

Old 12-16-2009, 07:50 AM

7,754 posts, read 11,835,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Not sure about Christmas stores in malls, but the Christmas Attic in Old Town Alexandria (125 South Union St.) is really cute:

Browse The Christmas Attic for Department 56 villages and hand blown glass ornam

You beat me to it Alicia but I will second the recommendation for the Christmas Attic. Walking down King Street this time of year, one can really get into the holiday spirit with all the lights strung throughout the trees.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:37 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,675,844 times
I did not see the seasonal Christmas Store in either Fair Oaks or Tysons Center (I may have just missed it)> I did notice that the Christmas Section in Macys is quite a bit smaller than I'm used to. Usually it takes a lot of sqft on the 2nd/3rd floors and they have pretty stuff. Either its the economy or I'm remembering the big selection I used to see on the West Coast.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I did not see the seasonal Christmas Store in either Fair Oaks or Tysons Center (I may have just missed it)> I did notice that the Christmas Section in Macys is quite a bit smaller than I'm used to. Usually it takes a lot of sqft on the 2nd/3rd floors and they have pretty stuff. Either its the economy or I'm remembering the big selection I used to see on the West Coast.
It's the economy. They used to have huge holiday sections in all the dept. stores.

Ironically, even though the Christmas decorations are scaled back this year I saw many more stores selling pricey halloween decorations this year. Not sure if the stores have cut back on Christmas because Halloween didn't sell well.... or if Halloween is popular now and Christmas decorations aren't big sellers anymore.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:09 PM

887 posts, read 2,870,029 times
A big thanks to you all for the suggestions.

I think I'll take her to Tysons Corner for the forest of Christmas Trees, a stroll around the mall, and then take her for something to eat at one of the Amphora Restaurants.

The Christmas Attic sounds very nice, but I don't think I can get down to Old Town Alexandria to scope it out before this coming weekend. Because my little friend uses a wheelchair, I like to preview places I've never taken her to before, so I can see how the accomodations will be for a wheelchair.

With regards to the store decoratons, I remember when I had a part-time job at Hecht's, and the decorations were out of sight. This year, to me, the decorations don't seem to have the same razzle and dazzle that they've had in past years. Boy, I miss Hecht's...Woodies too. Waaaaaah!

Again, many thanks!

Last edited by virgo; 12-16-2009 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: Adding a boohoo moment.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:13 PM

18,717 posts, read 15,315,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
With regards to the store decoratons, I remember when I had a part-time job at Hecht's, and the decorations were out of sight. This year, to me, the decorations don't seem to have the same razzle and dazzle that they've had in past years.
Yeah, I remember that, too. I predict once the economy gets rolling again we'll see razzle dazzle like we've never seen before. But this year the decorations are low key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia