Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 03:15 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar12 View Post
The best state slogan of them all:
Oklahoma is OK
Would love to see a follow-up:
Maine is MEdiocre

And my own personal slogan for Rhode Island, Montana, and the Dakotas combined:
Where the Census Gives Up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 10:32 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
With an eye to our famously congested roads, perhaps the slogan for this part of the state could be "Northern Virginia is for HOVers"?
LOL LOL That's a good one!

Old 04-16-2011, 06:58 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
How's this motto here? Virginia: where we work hard no matter what our collar color is.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:22 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
After 40 years, Virginia Is for Lovers is still going strong, being perhaps the most successful and effective state tourism slogan in US history, one that helped propel VA into the top ten in total tourist revenue while earning itself a spot on the Madison Avenue advertising Walk of Fame. Its vaguely provocative nature is often credited with helping to create an image of VA as something more than just another dusty redneck republic, an upgrade that would prove critical to drawing the brighter minds of the liberated hippie generation into what is now NOVA. The slogan has reached such iconic stature in American culture that replacing it at this point would be something like tearing down the Eiffel Tower. Probably not going to happen.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:36 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
The band Guster (who are increidble, btw) a while back would use the phrase "Guster is for lovers" in some of its promotional stuff.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:03 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
The band Guster (who are increidble, btw) a while back would use the phrase "Guster is for lovers" in some of its promotional stuff.
BTW, Guster just signed up to play at Wolftrap this summer.

I agree with Saganista, it's pretty amazing that this motto has been going strong for more than 40 years.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:26 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
After 40 years, Virginia Is for Lovers is still going strong, being perhaps the most successful and effective state tourism slogan in US history, one that helped propel VA into the top ten in total tourist revenue while earning itself a spot on the Madison Avenue advertising Walk of Fame. Its vaguely provocative nature is often credited with helping to create an image of VA as something more than just another dusty redneck republic, an upgrade that would prove critical to drawing the brighter minds of the liberated hippie generation into what is now NOVA. The slogan has reached such iconic stature in American culture that replacing it at this point would be something like tearing down the Eiffel Tower. Probably not going to happen.

Claiming that the "Virginia is for Lovers" slogan has "iconic stature in American culture" seems like a smug exaggeration to me.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:51 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Claiming that the "Virginia is for Lovers" slogan has "iconic stature in American culture" seems like a smug exaggeration to me.
All right--controversy! Woo hoo! Pass the popcorn, while I try to decide which side to take.

I'm tempted to side with Fern, because a saying doesn't seem like something that would be called iconic. OTOH I have a jigsaw puzzle that has a map of the US with various iconic symbols for each state. Washington D.C. has the White House. Maryland has a crab. Virginia has a "Virginia is for Lovers" pin. So maybe it has become iconic.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:42 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Well, it takes something for a slogan to endure over four decades and make it to the Advertising Walk of Fame. I believe VIFL went in along with the Budweiser Clydesdales. It doesn't get much more iconic than that. And talk to the tourism people. The slogan is still getting the same positive public response it's been getting since 1969. How many slogans has Coca-Cola had in that time?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,326 times
OMG I rode the Metro tonight and it's plastered with Virginia is For Lovers ads. Wow talk about overdoing the tourism thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia