U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-17-2009, 10:11 AM

15,402 posts, read 17,001,947 times
Default One more reason I'm glad I live in Nova, not Oregon, California, or Illinois

No offense towards Oregon, California, or Illinois, they're great places. But I think this early release program for prisoners is a big mistake. Governor Schwarzenegger proposed releasing 27,000 inmates--I know it's a budget issue, but that would make me nervous if I still lived there.

I'm very glad Virginia's governor rejected an early release proposal this year.

With bleak economic forecast, some states free prisoners early - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 07:17 PM

239 posts, read 419,984 times
Holy moly. Seriously? I have not yet heard that.
I am from CA, no, I didnt vote for the guy - either time, this is insane. Yes, the budget there is bad and they are looking at laying off my former co-workers with the County of Orange, but to let 27,000 inmates go is bad.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:38 PM

2,641 posts, read 3,861,986 times
Yes but we Virginians will be subsidizing Medicaid for Nebraska in perpetuity since Harry Reid just used our tax dollars to buy sell-out Ben Nelson's vote on the health care bill ...

Old 12-19-2009, 07:57 PM

149 posts, read 207,732 times
I am totally in favor of releasing nonviolent criminals to help the NOVA budget. This should be a no brainer decision. And legalize it already, and then tax the **** out of it.

/not a stoner, nor have I ever used, but I have yet to hear an argument against doing this.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:03 PM

1,707 posts, read 3,480,215 times
In February Kaine proposed to early release "non-violent criminals" from 30 days early to 90: then close 2 prisons, saving "tens of millions of dollars" Nonviolent Inmates Could Get Out Early - washingtonpost.com. I believe GOP blocked that.

Dec19th Kaine proposed, importing out-of-state criminals (such as California's). "Leases 1,000 prison beds to out-of-state inmates to raise $19.8 million."
This would be combined with "Cuts $73.4 million from local police departments."
Official Site of the Governor of Virginia.

also Kaine: End car tax, raise Virginia income tax 1 percent | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

I think McDonnell is going to get all these ideas killed.McDonnell, GOP lawmakers assail Kaine's budget plan | Charlottesville Daily Progress (http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/news/state_regional/state_regional_govtpolitics/article/mcdonnell_gop_lawmakers_assail_kaines_budget_plan/50202/ - broken link)

I especially hate the importing other inmates. Taking in Illinois inmates so they can make room for Gitmo Enemy Combatants that should not be here? Geez..

Old 12-20-2009, 01:10 AM
TPL

127 posts, read 165,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger21 View Post
I am totally in favor of releasing nonviolent criminals to help the NOVA budget. This should be a no brainer decision. And legalize it already, and then tax the **** out of it.

/not a stoner, nor have I ever used, but I have yet to hear an argument against doing this.
I have to take issue with this entire idea of "Non-Violent" inmates somehow being better than "Violent" inmates. Think about it like this, how many of us could one day find ourselves in a fist fight, which we never set out to do, but we simply became involved in it by circumstance? That can happen to anyone of us here, and you can be locked up for it, then subsequently declared a "Violent" offender.

On the other hand, think of how far someone has to go out of their way to intentionally sell drugs, and to in fact make a business out of it. Think of how many lives and families someone like that screws up in their greedy and careless pursuit, and then realize that even if they are arrested, charged, and convicted, they are still declared a "Non-Violent" offender.

The bottom line, is that there shouldn't exist this Black & White distinction between the two labels, as it should in fact be a case-by-case basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia