U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 08:46 AM

103 posts, read 134,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Defintely part of DC. Alexandria is a good two hours from Richmond on a good day. It is VERY expensive.
That is good to know, I've looked at the apartment rentals for that town looks to be in descent price range but not saying that your wrong about the pricing. Is their any cheaper around D.C that I can afford, like if I went to school for a scertin job like Nursing (witch I probably wont do, but an ideal of what I'm talking about). Like if I went to get a cooking degree wood I have a good chance of getting a job in or at less near D.C. For nursing you can apply any were in the states an have at less a good descent pay to get an apartment like in D.C or any were that is allot in rentals. Now with my brother same as if gotten a military job (crunching numbers for the military), he majored in mathematics and physics an he gotten a job at this unveristy were he graduated form this year. An I've got to say that he is renting out an apartment for $559.00 a month also he has a new car he gets got this year with what he gets paid at his work witch is $40,000.00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 09:43 AM

699 posts, read 498,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman120 View Post
That is good to know, I've looked at the apartment rentals for that town looks to be in descent price range but not saying that your wrong about the pricing. Is their any cheaper around D.C that I can afford, like if I went to school for a scertin job like Nursing (witch I probably wont do, but an ideal of what I'm talking about). Like if I went to get a cooking degree wood I have a good chance of getting a job in or at less near D.C. For nursing you can apply any were in the states an have at less a good descent pay to get an apartment like in D.C or any were that is allot in rentals. Now with my brother same as if gotten a military job (crunching numbers for the military), he majored in mathematics and physics an he gotten a job at this unveristy were he graduated form this year. An I've got to say that he is renting out an apartment for $559.00 a month also he has a new car he gets got this year with what he gets paid at his work witch is $40,000.00.
Waterman, generally speaking, any major metropolitan area is going to offer more chances for employment than small, isolated towns. It's not just the area, though, it's also about what you have to offer to the employer you want to work for. Think of it this way: If they hire you, they are paying for your services, and you are selling your services (labor) to them for a price (salary). Are your services worth their money? Do you have enough experience to get the job done right and well? Are you mature? Can you work well with others? These are just a few of the things that an employer might consider.

From what I've heard, though, the medical field is definitely a strong field to get into nowadays in spite of the economy. Financially you probably couldn't go wrong by going into nursing, but on the other hand, there is something else to consider: Is nursing something you would really want to do? It's not easy, and if you get squeamish or generally don't like to take care of people, then it might not be for you.

Regarding rentals in the DC area, let me tell you: I have lived in this area for about 6 1/2 years, and there is no such thing as cheaper rentals in DC unless you move into Southeast DC, but that is a neighborhood you should definitely avoid. The only way you can get a cheaper rental in this area is to have roommates. One-bedroom apartments around here go for an average of $1,000 a month, maybe $100 less if you live out in the Manassas area. Studio (efficiency) apartments are not much better in price. If you're dead set on moving to this area, my advice to you is to share a 2-bedroom apartment with someone you know and trust.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
Waterman, generally speaking, any major metropolitan area is going to offer more chances for employment than small, isolated towns. It's not just the area, though, it's also about what you have to offer to the employer you want to work for. Think of it this way: If they hire you, they are paying for your services, and you are selling your services (labor) to them for a price (salary). Are your services worth their money? Do you have enough experience to get the job done right and well? Are you mature? Can you work well with others? These are just a few of the things that an employer might consider.

From what I've heard, though, the medical field is definitely a strong field to get into nowadays in spite of the economy. Financially you probably couldn't go wrong by going into nursing, but on the other hand, there is something else to consider: Is nursing something you would really want to do? It's not easy, and if you get squeamish or generally don't like to take care of people, then it might not be for you.

Regarding rentals in the DC area, let me tell you: I have lived in this area for about 6 1/2 years, and there is no such thing as cheaper rentals in DC unless you move into Southeast DC, but that is a neighborhood you should definitely avoid. The only way you can get a cheaper rental in this area is to have roommates. One-bedroom apartments around here go for an average of $1,000 a month, maybe $100 less if you live out in the Manassas area. Studio (efficiency) apartments are not much better in price. If you're dead set on moving to this area, my advice to you is to share a 2-bedroom apartment with someone you know and trust.
The only person I know that I can trust is my cuishon. Now with the nursing I was pointing it out, it is a demanding feild, yes I do like to care of old folks like my grandmother but it is fare off form what a job might make me do but still I do like to help people out. Now with my disability will limits me to what I can do, like I've said about non competitive class to get into an to come out with a degree is fine with me at less I can do what I want to do after college.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
It seems to be helping me out, but finding an apartment in a pertiacler town in Richmond that is something that is a different story. Also I wood need to have a drivers licenses in order to live down in Virginia or any were that I pick to move down two.
Waterman, try Craigslist: http://richmond.craigslist.org/. Scroll through several pages of rental ads. That should give you a basic idea of what rents are like.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
The only person I know that I can trust is my cuishon.
Okay, you get a laugh point for that. Unfortunately, that is going to keep you from living in the DC area--unless you live in your car. :-)

Quote:
Now with the nursing I was pointing it out, it is a demanding feild, yes I do like to care of old folks like my grandmother but it is fare off form what a job might make me do but still I do like to help people out.
Have you ever worked in a hospital? If not, that might be the best first step you can take--getting a job as an orderly or even as a custodian of sorts, just to be in the environment and to get a real feel for what it's like on a day-to-day basis.

Quote:
Now with my disability will limits me to what I can do, like I've said about non competitive class to get into an to come out with a degree is fine with me at less I can do what I want to do after college.
Try going to community college first. It's cheaper than 4-year colleges, and usually you can transfer your credits to a 4-year college later on. Also, colleges usually have special staff that can help you make career decisions, helping you figure out if a certain profession would be good for you.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
Have you ever worked in a hospital? If not, that might be the best first step you can take--getting a job as an orderly or even as a custodian of sorts, just to be in the environment and to get a real feel for what it's like on a day-to-day basis.
I'm thinking about for a vuoltiner at my local hospital.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:29 AM

1,821 posts, read 1,544,558 times
I worry about you going into nursing because of the very high amount of writing/recording of patients' care that must be done or read and comprehended by the nurse/LPN.

I would suggest that, if you have a good ability to figure out how things go together, that you look into small engine repair, plumbing, wallpaper/painting -- hands-on trades where your cognitive challenges won't hold you back so much nor possibly endanger others.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I worry about you going into nursing because of the very high amount of writing/recording of patients' care that must be done or read and comprehended by the nurse/LPN.

I would suggest that, if you have a good ability to figure out how things go together, that you look into small engine repair, plumbing, wallpaper/painting -- hands-on trades where your cognitive challenges won't hold you back so much nor possibly endanger others.
I know. We are trying to figure out what I can do. Like I said many times I was gets saying about nursing be a good place to get into (Not saying me, because bad at spelling not good in math) if some one wanted to move to Virginia.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:18 PM

7,668 posts, read 11,101,544 times
Almost two-thirds of the posts in this thread had to be deleted due to (responses to) personal attacks. Bringing the focus back to the OP's original questions regarding Manassas will lengthen the life of this thread.

There is another sub-forum for Richmond where related questions could be answered better.

Happy Holidays!

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:16 PM

280 posts, read 619,603 times
As far as the car stuff goes, registration is about 25/yr, inspections (emission and safety) probably about 40 combined, you get 2 plates and I forget what the fee for that is. There are tons of specialty plates for 10-20 more, I'm cheap though so I didn't really look at them.

The safety inspection they don't do so much in the midwest, but it's tires, lights, brakes, wipers, etc.

Another important car issue that hasn't been brought up is that VA has a car tax (called "personal property tax") where you are taxed on the value of your car. 3% of the value, with the first 1K exempted, some other restrictions too). It ranges from about 50 - 500 every year, depending on the value of your car, +25 for the sticker.

In terms of jobs, there was a lot of construction going on, before the housing collapse, and still is some. There are also some government jobs that are good (I actually know someone who worked at the Manassas jail in some sort of office/paperwork position and loved it). Always is retail. Bartending/waitstaff can pay well at nice places

DC in general is a very expensive area, mostly because there are enough really high paying jobs (like, 100K + ) that there is a lot of housing competition from wealthy people, double income couples, etc.

Manassas is cheaper than other parts of DC and Northern VA, but still expensive compared to most places.

One place to price apartments is Apartments.com | Find Apartments for Rent, Houses, Condos and Townhomes | Rental Listings (guessing about 800 - 1000 for a 1 br in Manassas)
Craigslist can also give you a sense of what roommate situations/shares are like.

I lived in a group home for a long time and enjoyed it because it helped me meet people and make friends (and is cheaper!) so I'd look into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia