Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 02:50 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We haven't been plowed here in W. Springfield yet. I know I posted a pic of it on another thread (Hark, it's a P~L~O~W). Most of the driveways are cleared out and 4x4s can get in and out.

Don't put your shovel away! When the plow does show up...it will push a MOUNTAIN of snow onto your clear driveway....dig that out, and another plow will be along shortly, so you can do it AGAIN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 03:00 PM

320 posts, read 711,316 times
WTOP has the Fed. Govt. closed for Monday already -- don't know if that is accurate or not though.

Arlington County Schools are closed tomorrow. Come on Fairfax, announce already!!!!

Old 12-20-2009, 03:07 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Muffy, thanks, I won that one! (My husband said the federal government would open, I said it would close.) Looks like Scran-Barre got his wish too.

FCPS tends to be very annoying about not announcing until late.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:09 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Muffy, thanks, I won that one! (My husband said the federal government would open, I said it would close.) Looks like Scran-Barre got his wish too.

FCPS tends to be very annoying about not announcing until late.
And me too baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2009, 03:09 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Yeah as others have mentioned flurries or a slight dusting in Virginia results in schools being delayed or closed early. Anything more than a few inches and schools will be closed....

Deciding whether to open schools has to be one of the WORST jobs in the world...you guess wrong and a kid gets hurt, and they'll want your head on a stake.

Nobody in FCPS Transportation will ever forget the winter of '03. At 5:00 am, temps were hovering near freezing and the roads were wet from light rain. The decision was made to go for it...no 2 hour delay. As the buses started rolling, temps dropped a few degrees and the roads started icing. Nearly 40 buses wrecked in a half hour, thankfully no students were injured....but lots of damage. I slid into a ditch in Clifton, doing minor damage to the bus, but requiring a wrecker to pull it out....

Old 12-20-2009, 03:18 PM

WTOP has Fairfax closed for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday but their site hasn't been updated yet. My child has his fingers crossed that it is accurate -- ME TOO!!!

Old 12-20-2009, 03:19 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
Hi

I didn't read all the posts after Flamingo questioned you having kids. People like to start drama on here so just ignore that post. AND people who don't have multiples just don't get it. I too have twins-toddlers and I have to have mine at home with me for the next 2 weeks before I start a new job and the thought of them fighting and screaming and hitting etc is already making my head hurt. I get it. I love my children more than life but that doesn't mean they can't get on my nerves several times a day and when you are working from home it is even harder. Where do you live? Maybe I could help you out.

[quote=arielmina;12102673]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Just playing devil's advocate - if you can't stand the idea of having your kids home.... maybe you shouldn't have them?

quote]

NICE ok you're right, clearly I shouldn't have had them even though they are my reason for being and I love them more than anything else on this planet...should I send them back?

Good lord people, get real. I have 7 yr old twins that have to be doing something or they will be fighting the entire time. They WANT to go to school because they're missing all their holiday parties and friends. I work from home, have no days off, so I have to work while they are home...again 7 yr old twins. I'm not sure how old your kids are, but it's a full time job just keeping them out of trouble and from fighting. So this is going to be difficult for me...and them. That doesn't mean I don't love them and shame on your for insinuating such.

I never said I "can't stand" having my kids home...good grief.

THE POINT OF MY POST HOWEVER was that I can't believe they closed for Tuesday since they have no idea of what the roads will actually be like by then. But again, i come from New England where we got snow closures the morning of and we'd never closed for more than one day unless it was still snowing. Clearly things are different here and you all helped me understand the history and reasoning. Obviously they are not as prepared for snow as we were in CT, so I see now that things are different. Thanks to those who were helpful in your posts.

To the point made about the county-wide closures, thanks for the info. I guess it will work out for me because I am in Western Loudoun which I assume will almost always have worse weather due to being in the foothills and away from the city. But that is tough that it covers such a large area...so I guess I'll be prepared for lots of school closures the good news is as of 2010, I have lots of days off coming to me so I'll be sure to save some to go play with my kids.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:25 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,737,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy62 View Post
WTOP has Fairfax closed for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday but their site hasn't been updated yet. My child has his fingers crossed that it is accurate -- ME TOO!!!
I'm keeping mine crossed too!! I'd so much rather work from home..

Old 12-20-2009, 03:34 PM

YEAH!!! Fairfax County site has been updated. They are closed Mon. through Wed.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:36 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy62 View Post
YEAH!!! Fairfax County site has been updated. They are closed Mon. through Wed.
Yep, it just came across our cell phone as a text.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia