U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 04:33 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,858,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
I don't think they deliver when the government offices are closed. Not sure though. But no, we didn't get ours.

No mail on Federal holidays, but I think this is different...I saw lots of postal vehicles driving around today...

One thing though, many older SFH neighborhoods don't have curbside mailboxes...the carrier has to trudge up to each front door. They normally cut across front yards, so it seems like walking up each driveway from the street would take FOREVER, far longer than any reasonble shift.

If you really want your mail, you can go to the post office and get it...at least you can in Annandale. My wife was expecting something, so I did just that earlier this afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 04:50 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,613,293 times
Yeah, our mailbox is at our front door. I didn't want my mail so much, but I had a package in the mailbox that I wanted our carrier to pick up. My husband just brought it by to the Vienna Post Office. He went around back and the postal worker there said they are trying to go around and pick up all of the mail at the blue mailboxes, but it didn't sound like they'd be deliverying to all of the houses.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:50 PM

30,100 posts, read 67,176,437 times
Will the Post be crediting me for the 3-4 papers I haven't received?

Old 12-21-2009, 05:55 PM

8,106 posts, read 12,641,769 times
Our carrier probably could have walked up our cul-de-sac since the sidewalks are cleared, but she didn't.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:13 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,525,995 times
I talked with my carrier today when she deliverd the mail. She thanked me for shoveling out my mail box and I told her where I'm from (Northern Wisconsin) you don't get mail unless you shovel. She also told me that they pulled all the carriers off the road at 2:00 pm on Saturday so only half of her route got delivered.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:23 PM

722 posts, read 1,751,501 times
We did get mail today. Right on time, nonetheless! Even with our mailbox right up next to the door.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:09 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,949,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Will the Post be crediting me for the 3-4 papers I haven't received?
You can ask them to and they probably will. Scran-Barre, you really just need to learn to think through what you're always demanding. You spent two days here denouncing all the people who were out driving around and then fervently wishing for a day off from work for yourself, plus complaining about the terrible condition of the roads in Reston, but then go and complain that your carrier who makes much less than your $41,000 plus full federal benefits doesn't make it through all those dreadful obstacles to your depressing mauve apartment. Yes I exaggerate a bit because it's you but really ...

Old 12-21-2009, 07:15 PM

11,358 posts, read 20,143,021 times
We got our mail - no paper yet though - I really would like them all delivered though when she can make it, especially the Sunday paper - I wonder if that's possible?

Old 12-21-2009, 07:18 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,773,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
We got our mail - no paper yet though - I really would like them all delivered though when she can make it, especially the Sunday paper - I wonder if that's possible?
We get the Wall Street Journal, not the post--but FWIW the one time our paper didn't get delivered for a few days they did indeed deliver them all together when they finally were able to make the delivery.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:53 PM

30,100 posts, read 67,176,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
You can ask them to and they probably will. Scran-Barre, you really just need to learn to think through what you're always demanding. You spent two days here denouncing all the people who were out driving around and then fervently wishing for a day off from work for yourself, plus complaining about the terrible condition of the roads in Reston, but then go and complain that your carrier who makes much less than your $41,000 plus full federal benefits doesn't make it through all those dreadful obstacles to your depressing mauve apartment. Yes I exaggerate a bit because it's you but really ...
1.) I shouldn't have to ask them to refund papers I never received. They should have better internal controls in place to ensure that their carriers are either doing the jobs to which they've been entrusted or are contacting their employer to let them know that the roads are too treacherous to head out. They should know exactly who has or has not received their paper over the past several days based upon which routes were not delivered.

2.) Exaggerate a bit because it's me? Why does every thread on this forum eventually have to denigrate into tongue-in-cheek personal attacks against me by the same four or five people?

3.) I gave my carrier a card with a generous $25 tip for Christmas. Don't assume I'm not concerned about their well-being. I'd expect as a paying customer for the Post to have contacted me by now to have let me known they are crediting my account or that they will be delivering 4-5 papers all in one lump sum delivery at some point when Reston finally gets their streets plowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or