U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 06:34 PM

10,596 posts, read 12,088,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
Are you hiring?
Our agency has been doing a LOT of hiring. Mainly engineers, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 06:56 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,749,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2Picky View Post
If tomorrow is a Fed Holiday, I'd imagine that means Postal won't deliver.
Tomorrow is not a federal holiday, you will (should) still get your mail. Non-essential feds will get admin leave for the day, but its not a holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
During the last administration, I don't believe there were any snow days off during the 8 years. It was always "liberal leave" (I recently retired from the feds).
I started with the feds in 2001. Shutdowns I recall: One day for Isabel. One day for the Blizzard of 2003 (Presidents day weekend - Monday Holiday, Tuesday shut down, Wednesday "unscheduled leave." They haven't call it "liberal" leave for years

I'm way up north of Baltimore this weekend. Strangely, my street was plowed at 2pm yesterday (8 hours before it ended), but not since then. Go figure. We did, however, get mail yesterday I was already planning on teleworking for at least part of the day tomorrow, as I wasn't going to do my 73-mile commute pre-dawn. Unfortunately, I have no idea when I am going in nor where I will be staying. My NoVA roommate called to tell me I have no where to park if I stay there this week. Nice. Maybe I should reply "if I pay my rent this month" LOL

Old 12-20-2009, 07:03 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,996,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm being "dramatic" because I was dumbfounded by all of the people here out driving around yesterday and today getting stuck on hills at red lights, getting in the way of what few snow plows Fairfax County decided to deploy, sliding off the roadway, etc. when I know perhaps 25% of them REALLY needed to be on the roads. Driving your Mustang from South Reston to Harris-Teeter to pick up a case of beer isn't something I'd call "essential," and if you're that pent-up for beer then WALK, as my co-worker and I did to buy our snow shovels at Home Depot or to shovel out another friend today about a mile away.

I'm sorry to come off as someone so snarky, but if half of Reston was NOT out gallavanting yesterday and today doing non-essential activities (and letting the crews work on the streets unimpeded) then perhaps the roads wouldn't be so horrible now?
I'm surprised you saw so many people out yesterday. I was walking about in Old Town yesterday during the height of the storm and while there were people walking around, there wasn't a car to be seen on the roads that intersect King (i.e. West). It was rather ominous walking down the middle of this road with not a car to be seen. I guess Old Town being more walkable people decided to trek it out on foot if they were going anywhere. Really wish I took some pictures of the scene on King Street Saturday. Oh well...

Old 12-20-2009, 07:18 PM

30,101 posts, read 67,193,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
And, rest assured, there are plenty of federal workers that actually show up to work day after day after day. I'm one of them as is my boss. That may change next year when I have use or lose though.
Add me to that list. The only day of leave I've taken so far was for Black Friday so I could journey home to PA for Thanksgiving. I've taken a few sick days, but I've been legitimiately SICK quite a bit since moving here. My boss hasn't taken a sick day in the six months I've been with our agency. Most of my co-workers are in nearly everyday as well. I accrue one day of leave per month.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
I'm surprised you saw so many people out yesterday. I was walking about in Old Town yesterday during the height of the storm and while there were people walking around, there wasn't a car to be seen on the roads that intersect King (i.e. West). It was rather ominous walking down the middle of this road with not a car to be seen. I guess Old Town being more walkable people decided to trek it out on foot if they were going anywhere. Really wish I took some pictures of the scene on King Street Saturday. Oh well...
The problem is that despite my past rants about the dire lack of sidewalks in Reston our community still is VERY walkable. Most people in town can walk to a grocery store, convenience store, or business of some sort to handle their short-term needs. This is why I didn't understand the need for so much traffic in town the past two days. Where the hell were people going (or were these tourists from Ashburn?)

Old 12-20-2009, 07:20 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,527,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Surely the wonderful Reston Association clears the roads! Surely your special tax district uses those funds for things like plowing when it snows!
Fairfax County is responsible for clearning our roads.

Reston Association does an incredible job of plowing our 50+ miles of trails. I've seen them go by my house three times with the trail plow.

Here is the Facebook message from Reston Saturday morning:
At 1:30 this morning, the RA team at the CSF began plowing the Reston paths with 4 Bombardiers. We have over fifty five miles of trails for walking, running, hiking or just getting around in Reston. No matter what time in the day, when 2" of snow accumulates, our staff begin the process of clearing the trails. Happy Holidays, from your crew at the CSF.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:29 PM

722 posts, read 1,752,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
At 1:30 this morning, the RA team at the CSF began plowing the Reston paths with 4 Bombardiers. We have over fifty five miles of trails for walking, running, hiking or just getting around in Reston. No matter what time in the day, when 2" of snow accumulates, our staff begin the process of clearing the trails. Happy Holidays, from your crew at the CSF.
Okay, that's pretty cool. I live right near the W&OD in Falls Church, and while it has been used (we've actually seen a few people roaming the area on cross country skis this weekend!) it's certainly not plowed. So Reston does that right.

I saw a ton of people walking around Falls Church all day, but plenty of cars, too. I think a lot of people were trying to get in some Christmas shopping.

And if you're like me and my husband, you were too stupid to buy snow boots before the storm

Old 12-20-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Fairfax County is responsible for clearning our roads.

Reston Association does an incredible job of plowing our 50+ miles of trails. I've seen them go by my house three times with the trail plow.

They still haven't cleared the trails in our neighborhood. It was treacherous walking on the trail along the north side of Temporary Road (adjacent to Parc Reston) and then through the community to the underpass under Reston Parkway to the Spectrum Center as we tried to blaze a trail over to Waterside. I suppose they must clear the South Reston trails first.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:34 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,141,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
... I started with the feds in 2001. Shutdowns I recall: One day for Isabel. One day for the Blizzard of 2003 (Presidents day weekend - Monday Holiday, Tuesday shut down, Wednesday "unscheduled leave." They haven't call it "liberal" leave for years ...
No shut down for Isabel. I chose to not take leave and went to work on that day as did most at my Fed agency. The house I had recently moved into - the basement flooded and I lost all my family photos, along with a lot of other stuff. And if you listen to the closings listings on WTOP radio it's called "liberal leave" to this day.

My experience with contractors. We had a couple of gentlemen from L/M and they were true professionals and when they could not come to our facility, they went to their offices in Tysons Corner (?) or was it Falls Church. We had others from a corporation that had to do with computers and sciences. Come rolling in at 9:00-9:30am, take two hours for lunch while on the clock and around 2:00pm say "I'm tired, I'm going to go home and ride my motorcycle". Fill out time cards to get eight hours pay. They would conspire together to disparage and stab others in the back. Management thought they were great because they were so much cheaper than federal employees (you get what you pay for). They would occasionally lecture us "poor" feds about how much better they were and how they were the "future." One day I had had enough and responded to this guy listing all the delays, breakdowns, losses, etc that were common to their work. I noted how fed engineers had to work 24/7 in two 12 hour shifts on a research project because the contractors had failed to get a project started on time and it had been broken down for several weeks. I noted how the fed engineers had had their home and family life disrupted because of the contractors' slacking and incompetence. The contractor replied "Hey screw them. I'm just here to get my money. I gotta' eat!"

Old 12-20-2009, 08:11 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,749,887 times
Hate to disagree since you just repped me but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
No shut down for Isabel. I chose to not take leave and went to work on that day as did most at my Fed agency. The house I had recently moved into - the basement flooded and I lost all my family photos, along with a lot of other stuff. And if you listen to the closings listings on WTOP radio it's called "liberal leave" to this day.
Then you were either crazy or an essential worker. Mike Causey
Quote:
The decision to shutdown non-emergency federal operations in the Washington area Thursday and Friday deserves my newly created Federal Horse Sense Award.
And from the Post Federal Eye
Quote:
As for the weather, D.C.-area federal workers have not had a day off due to inclement conditions since a blizzard and Hurricane Isabel hit in 2003, according to Office of Personnel Management spokesman Peter Graves.
And here, too
Quote:
Federal workers in the nation's capital have not had a day off due to inclement weather conditions since Hurricane Isabel hit the region in September 2003.
And whatever WTOP calls it, OPM calls it "unscheduled leave."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia