U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:44 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,831,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
I believe there was a fatality awhile back caused by this very thing. In Ohio they go thru the parking lots and ticket you. I guess they assume if you got the snow off the front to go shopping you intentional left it on the top, and you have to get home..so rather than stop people on a snowy street...kind of smart. Of course that doesn't mean people will brush the snow off, but it might make them think twice.
Great idea!

I bought a huge tarp on Friday and covered my car up for the weekend, so pulled that off and it was nice and clean underneath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 03:45 PM

696 posts, read 1,495,847 times
Some chick was in front of me this afternoon and the whole top of her Escalade was covered in snow. Had I been able to get next to her, or if she had turned into the Target p-lot like I was I would have shared a few words. Glad that it's a law here in VA. TOTALLY agree with using the broom .... not rocket science.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:56 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,018,995 times
Nothing like a big splat of white stuff hitting your windshield while you're doing 55. It seems to be a huge problem here as better than half the cars I saw yesterday and today were in that condition. Shows a real lack of consideration for one's fellow man.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:13 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,545 times
A DJ on the radio said that he saw a guy was driving in front of him like this and when the guy skidded to a stop at a light, the whole sheet of snow slid down the front of the car, onto the guy's own windshield! He had to put on his flashers and get out and clear it off. So there is justice sometimes .

Old 12-21-2009, 07:15 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,780,931 times
I like the idea of handing out tickets. Gets the message across real fast--and brings in some $$$ to boot.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:26 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,121,958 times
Today I was driving on Route 1 and an SUV was behind me. We were going about 45mph when a car switched lanes in front of me, and then the upcoming light turned yellow, so I had to slow down kind of fast. I looked in my mirror, and the SUV's mountain of snow on his roof had fallen forward (due to his braking) onto his windshield. I laughed with a thought of "serves him right", watching him use his wipers to try to clear it, but seriously it was a dangerous situation because he was still in motion approaching the light and at that moment he had no visibility.

I saw many SUVs and minivans (more than other types of vehicles) with more than a foot of snow on the roof, while driving. s t u p i d.

Just read yankeesfan's post - very similar, I don't think I saw the same incident, though.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:28 PM

21,345 posts, read 23,991,175 times
Here's an inexpensive tool I put together years ago to deal with my Avalanche. Buy a push broom head and an extendable painting pole and combine the two. Great for a quick cleaning of any vehicle. For larger vehicles go out and buy a pool skimming pole and tape a push broom (with its own handle attached) to it.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:59 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,119,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
It's Virginia State law. I just got back from a drive down 66 and predictably more than half of the SUVs, minivans, and work trucks had a foot and a half of snow stuck to their roofs. Also predictably, the snow was coming off in huge chunks as they got up to speed.

This is a serious safety issue - if you cannot clear the snow off your car, don't bother going out on the roads. And stay alert - the right lane on 66 occasionally just ended in a snow bank, and merge lanes were almost non existent.
I saw a car sitting at a light and all the snow had slid down from the roof and covered the front window. Totally covered. I have no idea what they did when the light changed and they had to move.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:48 AM

509 posts, read 853,517 times
The police need to be out there ticketing this - especially on the interstates. Both yesterday and today on my ride into work on I-66 from Gainesville saw many large vehicles with 1 foot or more piles of snow on their roofs. Also yesterday morning saw a pile of snow in one lane that must have just come off someone's vehicle and was now causing people to have to swerve around it. Have learned to stay far away from these idiots as once I was on I-66 and a huge piece of frozen snow came off some minivan in front of me and just missed hitting my car.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:27 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,536,311 times
There is no excuse for that. If you are too dumb to know to clear the snow from your car before you drive, then you are too dumb to hold a driver's licenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia