U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2007, 01:57 PM

110 posts, read 520,697 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to VA in a few months; my husband will be working in Manassas. After reading several threads here and contacting a realtor over there; she suggested we look at houses in: Nokesville, Bristow, Gainesville and Haymarket. We have two small children ages 3 years and 6 months, so eventually the school district will be very important to us. We are also a multicultural family (I am half-British, half-Brazilian and the husband is American).
Can anyone tell me about these areas? Which one is better for a 'multicultural' family? What about the schools? We are looking for houses up to 500K but would like to stay within the low 400's.
Any information is appreciated, thank you, Fab.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 08:44 AM

7 posts, read 94,512 times
Smile UK to Bristow

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago.
We moved here from the UK and looked at the same locations you are considering.

We looked at over 40 houses and couldn't decide. We chose Bristow over Gainesville because the house fit our family of seven.

I love the schools and the area. The developments are fairly new and we have a 6 room house with a nice size backyard under 500k.

There are a lot of developments going on. I'm excited to be here at the start of something new, i.e. new movie theatre, bookstores, etc. coming to Gateway Shopping Center.

My husband commutes to Fairfax which doesn't take long since he doesn't leave until after the kids are off to school.

There are several school buses throughout the neighborhood even though the school is a few blocks away. This is a blessing since it can take a while to cross Linton Hall Road with all the construction.

The other houses we were considering was in Gainesville but it had a train track behind it and the owner swears you hardly hear it. I've heard it at 2 a.m. and at 6 a.m.

The only down side to our development is that we don't have a pool or club house. The homeowner's assoc have been trying to get us something but we do have a small playground for the younger kids and most everyone has one in their back garden.

Take a drive through some of these communities when you can at different times of the day and on the weekends. You'll get an idea of what the neighbors are like and whether or not it is family oriented.

Come Saturday, the bikes are out, lawns are mowed, cars are washed and dogs are being walked.

I'm not familiar with Nokesville but I have learned that from Bristow, Haymarket, and Gainesville, there are different routes to hit Manassas for things that we don't have such as the cinema, bookstores, malls, fabric store, hospital, etc. There are literally 4-5 ways to get to Manassas if you're trying to avoid the 66 or any traffic.

We stayed in a hotel for 4 months prior to moving in so I had plenty of time to peruse the papers. I suggest look at policd blotters and see what kind of activity is going on. I saw some houses online that were fairly reasonable but when I checked the blotter, there was a lot of crime going on in that area.

Also, check the Megan's Website. You can put in the zip code and find out of there are any registered sex offenders in that area. One house we looked at had one two doors down.

You may need the zip code of the city you are considering. Bristow is 20136, Gainesville is 20155 and I think Haymarket is 20168 or 20169.

Hope this helps. I've enjoyed my few months here. Can't wait to finish unpacking and stop paying out-of-state tuition!

Cheers!
efirebird

Old 05-22-2007, 08:46 AM

7 posts, read 94,512 times
Oh, we found a great realtor who was a lifesaver. If you haven't found one, I'd recommend her. She bent over backwards taking us to the 40+ houses, my whole family and all, sometimes even our dog.

She was very insightful and gave us honest opinions of what would be a downside to some houses. It was refreshing because most realtors are trying to sell you a house. She was genuinely concerned about our needs.

We had plans to add a kitchen in the basements and with her experience, we were able to weed out some houses that were not suited to our needs.

She also did without any committment from us or signing any contract.

Last edited by efirebird; 05-22-2007 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: spelling and adding text

Old 05-22-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efirebird View Post

We looked at over 40 houses and couldn't decide. We chose Bristow over Gainesville because the house fit our family of seven.

I love the schools and the area. The developments are fairly new and we have a 6 room house with a nice size backyard under 500k.

There are a lot of developments going on. I'm excited to be here at the start of something new, i.e. new movie theatre, bookstores, etc. coming to Gateway Shopping Center.

My husband commutes to Fairfax which doesn't take long since he doesn't leave until after the kids are off to school.

There are several school buses throughout the neighborhood even though the school is a few blocks away. This is a blessing since it can take a while to cross Linton Hall Road with all the construction.

The other houses we were considering was in Gainesville but it had a train track behind it and the owner swears you hardly hear it. I've heard it at 2 a.m. and at 6 a.m.

The only down side to our development is that we don't have a pool or club house. The homeowner's assoc have been trying to get us something but we do have a small playground for the younger kids and most everyone has one in their back garden.

Take a drive through some of these communities when you can at different times of the day and on the weekends. You'll get an idea of what the neighbors are like and whether or not it is family oriented.

Come Saturday, the bikes are out, lawns are mowed, cars are washed and dogs are being walked.

I'm not familiar with Nokesville but I have learned that from Bristow, Haymarket, and Gainesville, there are different routes to hit Manassas for things that we don't have such as the cinema, bookstores, malls, fabric store, hospital, etc. There are literally 4-5 ways to get to Manassas if you're trying to avoid the 66 or any traffic.

We stayed in a hotel for 4 months prior to moving in so I had plenty of time to peruse the papers. I suggest look at policd blotters and see what kind of activity is going on. I saw some houses online that were fairly reasonable but when I checked the blotter, there was a lot of crime going on in that area.

Also, check the Megan's Website. You can put in the zip code and find out of there are any registered sex offenders in that area. One house we looked at had one two doors down.

You may need the zip code of the city you are considering. Bristow is 20136, Gainesville is 20155 and I think Haymarket is 20168 or 20169.

Hope this helps. I've enjoyed my few months here. Can't wait to finish unpacking and stop paying out-of-state tuition!

Cheers!
efirebird

Thank you so much for your reply. Last night we decided it was better to rent for a while so we have plenty of time to look around and choose the best neighborhood. Our realtor has sent us several listings in the area, but having those zip codes, will definitely help. I am glad you like Bristow, I will definitely keep that in mind when we start shopping for our house, and who knows; maybe we can even have tea together! Also, if you could, please e-mail me the information to your realtor, we have been dealing with a realtor already but we don't have a contract or anything set with her, so I guess there is no harm in getting another realtor's opinion. These days, you have to shop around for realtors too! Thank you and have a great day. Fabiana

Last edited by fabforever; 05-22-2007 at 10:13 AM..

Old 05-23-2007, 12:50 PM

429 posts, read 1,693,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by efirebird View Post

Cheers!
efirebird
It's literally disguisting this is what once beautfiul rural PW has become...a paradise for yuppies.
Yuck.
Stop contributing to the destruction of the Piedmont.
Protect and preserve the rural crescent.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:06 PM

I can say the same for where I live right now - Boise, IDAHO. Many people from California and from VA are coming here and destroying our beautiful countryside – but you don’t see me winning. So please don't try and tell me I am the problem, I see it first hand where we live too (and the influx here are mainly Americans running away from the city). Sorry, but people have to relocate because of jobs and other commitments; if you are so worried, you can come and live in IDAHO and buy my house, there is plenty of nothing here, I am literally surround by farms. But I am sure the farms won't last long, just like I am 'destroying' your rural PW, people are doing the same to our rural IDAHO setting here. What to do? I am not sure, but blaming me is just not right. The US is changing and I don't think us 'Yuppies' are the only problem, but I am sure I won't be able to change your opinion, so I wish you the best of luck and as I said, my house here in IDAHO is for sale! :0) You will have plenty of rural living over here! Also, I find your comment very rude, yes I am a foreigner but I contribute a lot to this country, I am highly educated and married to a wonderful American husband with two beautiful daughters. I think it is very sad that you judge people as a group and not individually, maybe you should start opening your eyes more, some of us 'foreigners' work hard and bring a lot of positive aspects to this country.
Fab

Last edited by fabforever; 05-23-2007 at 01:25 PM..

Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabforever View Post
I can say the same for where I live right now - Boise, IDAHO. Many people from California and from VA are coming here and destroying our beautiful countryside Ė but you donít see me winning. So please don't try and tell me I am the problem, I see it first hand where we live too (and the influx here are mainly Americans running away from the city). Sorry, but people have to relocate because of jobs and other commitments; if you are so worried, you can come and live in IDAHO and buy my house, there is plenty of nothing here, I am literally surround by farms. But I am sure the farms won't last long, just like I am 'destroying' your rural PW, people are doing the same to our rural IDAHO setting here. What to do? I am not sure, but blaming me is just not right. The US is changing and I don't think us 'Yuppies' are the only problem, but I am sure I won't be able to change your opinion, so I wish you the best of luck and as I said, my house here in IDAHO is for sale! :0) You will have plenty of rural living over here! Also, I find your comment very rude, yes I am a foreigner but I contribute a lot to this country, I am highly educated and married to a wonderful American husband with two beautiful daughters. I think it is very sad that you judge people as a group and not individually, maybe you should start opening your eyes more, some of us 'foreigners' work hard and bring a lot of positive aspects to this country.
Fab
I've got no problem with foreigners, my problem is with the massive development that is completely re shaping Virginia from scenic to a bunch of shopping centers and town homes for yuppies.
An area which once had flavor and now is tasteless with no culture.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:20 PM

I think it is a problem in the entire US and not only Virginia. We are experiencing the same here in Idaho. Farms are disappearing and huge subdivisions are going up everywhere. 6 years ago I looked out of my back window and saw a beautiful farm and horses running free; today, the farms are dissapearing - it is depressing. Farmers are selling their 90+acres, becoming millionaires and subdivisions are going up everywhere. Theses days everyone wants a piece of their 'private' Idaho. I am afraid this is happening all over the country and soon all of the land will be turned into housing. So don't get me wrong, I know how you feel and I am probably not helping by moving to VA, but as I said, we are moving because of better work opportunities and to be closer to the city. Just like I am moving to VA, thousands of people are moving to ID, and the situation is only going to get worse, I just hope there will be enough farms left to produce food for all of the new houses! Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
I've got no problem with foreigners, my problem is with the massive development that is completely re shaping Virginia from scenic to a bunch of shopping centers and town homes for yuppies.
An area which once had flavor and now is tasteless with no culture.

Last edited by fabforever; 05-23-2007 at 11:36 PM..

Old 05-24-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabforever View Post
I think it is a problem in the entire US and not only Virginia. We are experiencing the same here in Idaho. Farms are disappearing and huge subdivisions are going up everywhere. 6 years ago I looked out of my back window and saw a beautiful farm and horses running free; today, the farms are dissapearing - it is depressing. Farmers are selling their 90+acres, becoming millionaires and subdivisions are going up everywhere. Theses days everyone wants a piece of their 'private' Idaho. I am afraid this is happening all over the country and soon all of the land will be turned into housing. So don't get me wrong, I know how you feel and I am probably not helping by moving to VA, but as I said, we are moving because of better work opportunities and to be closer to the city. Just like I am moving to VA, thousands of people are moving to ID, and the situation is only going to get worse, I just hope there will be enough farms left to produce food for all of the new houses! Fab
That's depressing.
Why in Idaho, it happens here, and once you come, you'll see, to a MUCH greater degree than there, BUT Northern VA is close to a major city.

Idaho...you can't commute.
I find it hard to believe 2nd house buyers can cause this much destruction.

I know how you feel, I remember driving in West Fairfax, Prince William, and East Loudon, seeing forests, fields, and green.
Now even if you go there and further out you see on one side a farm, you think it's quiet and rural, only a mile away to see an entire forest being cut down for duplicate homes, condos, and malls.
It's ugly.

This is what happened in TEN only that long to Bristow and Gainesville, and really if you can, don't support the realtors and developers who have destroyed the beauty and charm.

Get a 5 acre older house in the country or something in Fairfax, decent sized, closer to your commute.

The problem is yuppies wanting to have a 'show off' house complaining about prices when they can buy it in Fairfax, the problem is the lack of ANY planning to have mass transist with sub divisions there, while leaving land to be proected for farming and country, which helps the water and air quality, not to mention school overcrowding.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:31 PM

Thanks for all the information. We will look into other places too, I mentioned those cities because our relator was really positive about family life there. But we are not against going further away either, we are currently in a very countryside setting here and we don't mind the country as long as I am within decent driving distance from a city. In this case the husband will be working in Manassas and therefore we will have to live around that area. Thanks again and who knows, maybe these developers will realize that planning is needed before they build a million houses just to get fast money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
That's depressing.
Why in Idaho, it happens here, and once you come, you'll see, to a MUCH greater degree than there, BUT Northern VA is close to a major city.

Idaho...you can't commute.
I find it hard to believe 2nd house buyers can cause this much destruction.

I know how you feel, I remember driving in West Fairfax, Prince William, and East Loudon, seeing forests, fields, and green.
Now even if you go there and further out you see on one side a farm, you think it's quiet and rural, only a mile away to see an entire forest being cut down for duplicate homes, condos, and malls.
It's ugly.

This is what happened in TEN only that long to Bristow and Gainesville, and really if you can, don't support the realtors and developers who have destroyed the beauty and charm.

Get a 5 acre older house in the country or something in Fairfax, decent sized, closer to your commute.

The problem is yuppies wanting to have a 'show off' house complaining about prices when they can buy it in Fairfax, the problem is the lack of ANY planning to have mass transist with sub divisions there, while leaving land to be proected for farming and country, which helps the water and air quality, not to mention school overcrowding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or