U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 04:53 PM

30,101 posts, read 67,193,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
Anybody know if 64 is alright? From Charlottesville to I-95?
I would imagine the Interstates are all smooth sailing. Most major multi-lane non-Interstate roads seem fine too. Every other road though seems to be a mess. A lot of roads weren't treated as soon as they should have been, so they are caked in a tightly compacted layer of ice and snow. I'm going to drive into work tomorrow. My only concern is what plan the Commonwealth has to combat tonight's black ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 05:05 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,616,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
1.)
2.) This is NOT a "great job." It's been 48 hours since the storm stopped, and cars are still getting stuck.
I actually thought the plowing crews showed up earlier after this snowstorm than after some prior storms of lesser magnitude. But you know how we NoVa boosters are - all "snowplows and puppies"

Old 12-21-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I actually thought the plowing crews showed up earlier after this snowstorm than after some prior storms of lesser magnitude. But you know how we NoVa boosters are - all "snowplows and puppies"
A GREAT job was our first 5 inch snowfall a few weeks ago. Roads were all clear in no time flat. 48 hours after this storm and many streets still haven't been touched. Some of you have pretty low expectations for the taxes you pay.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:19 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,616,501 times
Quote:
A GREAT job was our first 5 inch snowfall a few weeks ago. Roads were all clear in no time flat. 48 hours after this storm and many streets still haven't been touched. Some of you have pretty low expectations for the taxes you pay.
Or perhaps some of us, knowing how rare a snowfall of this magnitude is for the area, realize that a 20-inch snowfall may pose a bit more of a challenge than a five-inch snowfall? In any event, weren't you just pleading for a federal workers' day off anyway? It's a bit of chutzpah to hope the roads are bad enough that you get a day off, and then expect them to be in immaculate shape shortly thereafter.

In any event, I thought your post was asking for information on "road conditions in your area." I'm not challenging your report that many streets in Reston haven't been plowed to your satisfaction. I have just been pleasantly surprised by the conditions in the Vienna/McLean area.

But, in terms of low expectations for the taxes paid, that's actually what comes to mind when crossing from Maryland into Pennsylvania, where the quality of the highways immediately takes a decided turn for the worse.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:23 PM

1,419 posts, read 3,011,633 times
route 7 going west from Leesburg on was clear, all the main roads near me are 95% clear. Back roads have some snow, but have been plowed.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:33 PM

4,760 posts, read 4,015,799 times
Quote:
1.) It's patience.

2.) This is NOT a "great job." It's been 48 hours since the storm stopped, and cars are still getting stuck.
The Feds, including you, got a free day off. Enjoy it!

Tomorrow's a liberal leave day. So as a liberal, you can have another day off. Catch up on some last minute shopping, go out for lunch with friends, but above all else.... Chill Out, dude! Go back to work on Wednesday, hit a few office parties, quaff some eggnog and leave early. Sounds like a perfect week!

VDOT's doing the best they can. After all, this isn't somewhere were there's a lot of experience with snow like this... y'know like Pittsburgh, maybe.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:36 PM

125 posts, read 360,209 times
Coming from Upstate NY where storms like this are normal and regular and handled with expert snow removal, I have to say they did a great job. Those of us from areas of higher annual snowfall have to keep in mind the [i]typical[i] weather patterns for NOVA..these folks don't have these storms regularly so of course their equipment won't be comparable to NY or PA. But they are doing the most with what they have and I commend them for it. The traffic is heavier and there are more houses per block...putting the snow someplace is not as easy here as it is elsewhere.
So, I'll cut them some slack...correction..cut us (since I live here and am now part of NOVA!) some slack!

Old 12-21-2009, 05:48 PM

Can we please get this thread back on-track instead of nitpicking at my own displeasure at the length of time it is taking for snow plows to start plowing/salting secondary roads?

Post where you are and how the roads are in your general area. Thank you!

Old 12-21-2009, 05:51 PM

4,760 posts, read 4,015,799 times
Ours are fine considering it was a county subcontractor who plowed. 66 wasn't too bad earlier. 28 was something of a mess both this morning and on the way home.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:59 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,778,611 times
The roads in Cascades seem to be pretty good. There are a few side streets that were plowed early, and then the wind blew snow back onto them. They're not bad but a second plow would be nice. The main streets are all clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia