U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:23 PM

28 posts, read 72,894 times

Advertisements

I am leaning more toward the Vienna idea. I am just having a hard time with the small kitchens. How long would it take to get to the Pentagon from Vienna?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 05:32 AM

303 posts, read 807,917 times
Vienna's great in a lot of ways, and you'd probably be happy with the schools here. But I can't see getting to the Pentagon in 30 minutes. Once I step on an Orange Line train, it's already 30 minutes into DC, and you'd have to add on time to transfer lines for the Pentagon and time to get to the station.

That said, 30 minutes is pretty much a dream commute around here.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:29 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,536,751 times
Quote:
Both Kings Park and Burke will take longer than 30 minutes to get to the Pentagon.
My neighborhood is made up of almost all military and gov't. There is a bus that stops on the corner of our neighborhood and runs directly to the pentagon. The military guys jump on the bus and the gov't guys walk across the street to the VRE. We've lived in several areas of NOVA and Maryland. This neighborhood in Burke is by far the easiest as far as commute time goes.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:39 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,618,430 times
I think Burke would be a good choice, as would be the Sleepy Hollow/Lake Barcroft area of Falls Church. Vienna is great, but it's not as easy a commute to the Pentagon as you're seeking.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:28 AM

28 posts, read 72,894 times
What about West Springfield or Mclean? I have found houses online in both areas. They are actually the right size houses with good schools. Now for the commute factor. Thank you for all of your input. It is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by rtkavm; 12-22-2009 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: Added content

Old 12-22-2009, 09:38 AM

813 posts, read 1,105,743 times
According to Metro's Website, the ride from Vienna to the Pentagon takes 34 minutes. Regular one-way fare is $4.05.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:34 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,618,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
According to Metro's Website, the ride from Vienna to the Pentagon takes 34 minutes. Regular one-way fare is $4.05.
The 34 minutes is how long it takes from the time the Orange Line train leaves the station in Vienna to the time the Blue Line train arrives at the Pentagon station. Once you include the time to get to the Vienna station, find a parking place, and wait for the train to depart, you're looking at a longer commute. But it's certainly not a bad commute by NoVa standards.

West Springfield and McLean are not bad commutes to the Pentagon by car, but West Springfield doesn't have the VRE option like Burke does (unless you consider the Rolling Road station to be in West Springfield rather than Burke). As between West Springfield and McLean, you'd find a considerably higher number of military families in the West Springfield area, although Colin Powell does live in McLean!

Good luck.

Last edited by JD984; 12-22-2009 at 11:58 AM..

Old 12-22-2009, 11:53 AM

309 posts, read 737,545 times
As other posters said, driving time can fluctuate. If I were working at the Pentagon, I would not prefer to park and wait for the shuttle, hike to the entrance.... Metro access is very convenient and VRE does not operate on the weekends. I would recommend looking in the 22124 zip of Oakton and stay as close to the Vienna metro as possible. Oakton has newer homes than parts of Vienna.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:00 PM

207 posts, read 659,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkavm View Post
What about West Springfield or Mclean? I have found houses online in both areas. They are actually the right size houses with good schools. Now for the commute factor. Thank you for all of your input. It is greatly appreciated!
From W. Springfield he can pick up a number of Pentagon Express buses or slug it in at the Rolling Valley Mall off of Old Keene Mill. Slugging is often times much faster than the bus although not much fun standing in line if the weather is bad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia