Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 07:36 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,158,182 times

Advertisements

Should this cop be fired?

Fun with Guns: Viligante DC Cop Dishes Draconian Martial Law for Snowball Fight - ****in' Cops - Gawker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 07:42 AM

26,687 posts, read 41,585,069 times
Yes, I think he should be fired. This kind of incident is the incompentency I expect from DC area cops.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:07 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,635,939 times
Pelting passing cars with snowballs IS illegal everywhere....it's not harmless fun, you can kill somebody! No different than a rock or any other object.

I learned early on in my school bus driving "career" to NEVER have the drivers' window open when there's snow on the ground. I was leaving a high school one afternoon with 40+ students aboard and a kid hit me square in the left temple with a an icy snowball. I saw stars for a few seconds and could have easily lost control of the bus. It took stitches to close the wound in my head.

The punks in this story are lucky it was a cop they attacked....some drug dealer or other criminal might have shot a few of them!

Old 12-20-2009, 08:16 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,361,966 times
Agree with car54. What would possess people to pelt random vehicles with snowballs and damage others' property? It's not "harmless fun" if there were rocks or ice compacted within the snowball that dented the vehicles and caused the owners financial harm. If I saw a huge mob of strangers throwing stuff at my car I'd be tempted to take any necessary and appropriate measures to defend it, including making it known I had a gun so they would BACK OFF!

Old 12-20-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Agree with car54. What would possess people to pelt random vehicles with snowballs and damage others' property? It's not "harmless fun" if there were rocks or ice compacted within the snowball that dented the vehicles and caused the owners financial harm. If I saw a huge mob of strangers throwing stuff at my car I'd be tempted to take any necessary and appropriate measures to defend it, including making it known I had a gun so they would BACK OFF!
ScranBarre, hate to disagree, but what if one of those folks had a gun themselves and fired it out of fear for their life? Some people could have been killed over something as stupid as a couple of snowballs that couldn't have damaged a car, i did feel the snow this morning believe me.

The cop should have just shown the badge, which would probably have been enough to calm the fight. I'm a gun advocate myself, but talk about killing a fly with a shotgun.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:45 AM

15,402 posts, read 25,684,269 times
I'm not a would have, or should have, guy. I actually was driving a church bus in a real bad area in Detroit (much worse than what people around here call "ghetto"s). Anyways, about 40 teens attacked the bus with snowballs, and other objects. Some of those kids were kids I had just dropped off. The whole side of the bus was marked by snow, and other things. I did the only thing you should do in that situation. (hint: I didn't pull out a gun). I put it in gear, hit the gas, and got out of there!

Old 12-20-2009, 08:59 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,181,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Yes, I think he should be fired. This kind of incident is the incompentency I expect from DC area cops.

Way to paint with a broad brush a couple thousand good honest hardworking DC cops due to the actions of one person. Many of these "incompetent" officers would put their life on the line for Moderator cut: Personal attack you.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 12-20-2009 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: Personal attack.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Way to paint with a broad brush a couple thousand good honest hardworking DC cops due to the actions of one person. Many of these "incompetent" officers would put their life on the line for Moderator cut: Personal attack you.
Let's see:

- Fairfax County cops are infamous for giving out stupid tickets.
- Alexandria City had a police chief get locked up for DUI and he used a city-owned car to do it.
- Prince George's cops choked a man in a cell to death because he was accused but not tried on running down a brother officer.
- A PG detective kills a man because he doesn't the job the man is doing delivering some furniture.
- While I was working Friday, Arlington cops were teasing, taunting, and laughing at a woman they had handcuffed.

The defense rests.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 12-20-2009 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 12-20-2009, 09:48 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,882,166 times
I hope they fire the cop. My brothers are both local cops in another state and I'm married to a Federal Law Enforcement Agent. I am normally the first to defend cops. This was insane. Yes, it's illegal to throw snowballs at cars, but it's not a pull your gun type of incident. This cop was off duty. Another officer saw him draw his weapon and had no choice but to pull his. Can you imagine what could have happened? We could have had officers and citizens killed over a snow ball fight.

Zero tolerance for cops that make decisions like this.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:51 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,158,182 times
So you think plain clothes cops should pull guns on people without identifying themselves any time there's a minor incident involving unarmed (other than with snowballs) citizens? Drunk drivers are a lot more dangerous but I don't believe unidentified cops pull guns on them after they're stopped. What this shows is poor judgement on the part of the cop and I'm sure other cops would agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia