U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2009, 06:05 AM

25 posts, read 80,817 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm researching the areas around Dulles Airport. Specifically, Herndon, South Riding, Ashburn, and Sterling. My question is this; it looks like there are many homes near Dulles. Do the flight paths of arriving and departing planes fly over these communities? Is the noise from the airport noticeable in the surrounding communities? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 08:19 AM

6,739 posts, read 11,240,042 times
Some good info here regarding the airport and noise. If you don't like clicking on links just put your pointer over it and you'll see the airport address below.

FAQ (http://www.washingtonairports.com/noiseandlanduse/faq.htm - broken link)

Old 12-25-2009, 10:36 AM

805 posts, read 1,408,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Some good info here regarding the airport and noise. If you don't like clicking on links just put your pointer over it and you'll see the airport address below.

FAQ (http://www.washingtonairports.com/noiseandlanduse/faq.htm - broken link)
That FAQ also has a link to a good noise contour map.

My new favorite tool is the noise tracking tool. You can look at any day (more than 24 hours old for security reasons) to see flight paths, and decible readings. Put in the address of where you are looking, and then you can click on a plane to see how close it is to that place. Pick and address you are looking at and watch the flight patterns over it. Pick a few smaple days. Also note how high the planes are when you go over the house, if they are high enough it doesn't matter if it is a direct hit. Finally, Take offs are usually louder than landings.

https://secure.airscene.com/public/F...me=Welcome.asp

I've moved a couple of times within the area and each time I made sure to go by the area on multiple days and multiple times of the day to check. Most areas are really not that bad as the planes are high enough to be only background noise, but you should still double check where exactly you will be.

PS - Hit Alt when you select a plane to see how close it is to the address. Also, I noticed I can't see the menus in Firefox, you may need to use IE to get it to work.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:33 AM

25 posts, read 80,817 times
Thanks a lot... great info there!

Old 12-27-2009, 03:11 AM

12 posts, read 45,106 times
The Major Take off banks are 16:45 to 18:30 and 21:30 to 22:50 for Dulles, Landing aren't as noises as most plane are at or near idle when landing unless they have to perform a "go Around"

Old 12-27-2009, 06:24 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,463,694 times
I live in Ashburn, and yes we are in the flight path. So is South Riding. Honestly, I don't notice the noise anymore. I often hear one plane during the day and one around 11pm. They are the only two I notice and I think that is more for me listening for them! It isn't bad unless you are super noise sensitive.
Good luck!

Old 12-27-2009, 06:48 PM

15,400 posts, read 26,141,239 times
We hear them in Cascades, although they aren't loud. I long ago stopped noticing it. Actually, there was one time I noticed it--after 9/11 when there were no flights for a day or two. The silence was creepy. I really did not feel ok again until I heard that familiar sound of planes in the air. It's not a bothersome sound at all, but if you don't hear it for a few days that could bother you a lot!

Old 12-28-2009, 07:29 AM

6,739 posts, read 11,240,042 times
I think we all get used to certain noises once they are heard enough. My Dad lived across the street from some train tracks (maybe 100 yards away) and the first night I slpet there as a teen I nearly jumped out of my bed when the first train went by. My Dad said he no longer heard them.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:19 AM

577 posts, read 1,818,392 times
I live in Ashburn under a flight path and after Dulles opened the new runway the inbound plane noise was much louder and more frequent than before. I've been living in Ashburn for about 6 years and some of the plane noise is okay but since last summer it's been especially loud - if you're inside watching TV you can't hear the TV when some planes fly over, even with the windows closed. Not that that's so critical, but it gives you an idea of how loud some of the planes are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia