Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 06:47 AM

4 posts, read 11,301 times

Advertisements

Hello perhaps someone can help us.. My wife and I just moved here from Florida due to my wife finding a job after countless resume sendings across country.. not being from up here in Virginia we knew of no one who could help us on such a short notice move.. (we had three weeks from time of interview til the time her job started). We found a house in Fredericksburg for rent and here we are.. her training thank God is right here in Fredericksburg however, her placement is going to be a new facility in Dumfries right off of I-95.. could anyone tell us the best route for traveling in the mornings? she needs to be at work aproximately 7:30 - 7:45 am. we live in the Timbers community right off of Harrison near rt 3 (plank rd) which would be exit 130 off I-95
any help shall be appreciated. my email is acecustomtees@hotmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 07:41 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,233,031 times
You basically have 2 options. I 95 or RT 1. Neither will be great options at 0700 on weekdays. Although you are exiting before the worst of the traffic starts. RT 1 has more lights on it and of course 95 will have more vehicles on it.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:31 AM

743 posts, read 3,899,713 times
You basically HAVE to take I-95... no real way around that. If traffic backs up ont he highway, you 'can' take route 1... but everyone else will have the same idea, and it gets backed up quickly.

On a slightly different topic, if you didn't know, you can go straight across the light at Harrison and get to Rt. 3 at 5-mile fork. You can also go straight through the same light, take the first right, then the first left, and it puts you out right next to the bowling alley. There is no traffic light there, but making a right is usually pretty easy.

I'd suggest she just leave really early for the first few days, until she figured out how long it will take her. I used to commute from near there to Woodbridge each morning in 45 minutes. so maybe she should leave at 6:15 to be safe... but her normal leaving time could be 6:30 - 6:45 am. The morning is never as bad as coming home. Rush hour starts at 3 pm, and continues until almost 6:30 pm. Rt. 3 around the mall and Central Park is just nuts from 4:30 pm through 7 pm, between people heading home, and all the shoppers/people going out to eat.

It will probably take her around 45 mins to get into work in the morning... but it'll probably take her 1.5 hours to get home.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:07 PM

I want to thank you both, Ed and Bigfoot for your responses..Its greatly appreciated. We will try different things to see which works best between I-95 and RT 1.. Her drive home most days will begin after 8 pm so she will miss most of the traffic at that time however on the days she leaves work at 4pm Im guessing will be a nightmare for her going by what you said.. ::sighs::
but again I thank you both for responding to me

Rick

Old 12-27-2009, 05:15 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,233,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtamymind View Post
I want to thank you both, Ed and Bigfoot for your responses..Its greatly appreciated. We will try different things to see which works best between I-95 and RT 1.. Her drive home most days will begin after 8 pm so she will miss most of the traffic at that time however on the days she leaves work at 4pm Im guessing will be a nightmare for her going by what you said.. ::sighs::
but again I thank you both for responding to me

Rick
Like was said RT 1 is an alternative but usually not a good one. Too many lights and a more narrow road VS 95. Leaving at 8PM would be good but like you said, leaving at 4 might be tough but you might still be ahead of the worst. Good luck regardless.

Once settled make sure you visit the Marine Corp Museum on RT 1 just South of Quantico's main gate off RT 1. Maybe a mile or two south of the main gate. A superb museum.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:40 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,987,564 times
If there's no traffic, Dumfries is only about 25 mins. from The Timbers...but I doubt there's ever a time when traffic won't be heavy to non-moving! It's a zoo on our roads!

Old 01-11-2010, 12:14 PM

yea so im finding out... plank road is a horror show.. so is the roads in woodbridge where she was temporarily assigned

Old 01-11-2010, 12:16 PM

although dumfries is closer to about 4o mins away with no traffic but theres never no traffic completely lol the drive to woodbridge is running aprox an hour and half without traffic jams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia