U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 06:03 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,866,757 times

Advertisements

Winchester is a nice town...but I always get ticked when I see the "Home of Patsy Cline"...."Patsy Cline Blvd" signs...and all the other references to her.

The good people of Winchester thought Virginia Hensley was a low-life from the wrong side of the tracks when she was growing up. But when she hit the big time as Patsy Cline....they want to cash-in on her fame?

Phonies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 06:26 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,785,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Last week!
We've already got friends form New York City coming for the weekend and family from NJ stopping by on Sunday as well as a friends in DC planning to trek over for visits!
Wow, you and Caladium. Everyone's buying houses all of a sudden. Congrats again and it sounds wonderful. I hope you take lots of photos all throughout the year. I've always thought we should have a Winchester photo tour.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:27 PM

30,107 posts, read 67,215,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I've always thought we should have a Winchester photo tour.
The forum will have one in Spring 2010 when the foliage and warmer weather returns. I was all set to do one this past Fall, but with the major construction project going on with the new sewer lines I didn't think it would be fair to show off such a nice city with so many blemishes resulting from that work. I was just in Winchester very recently. The work downtown is finished, but Route 7 just east of town continues to be a traffic nightmare due to construction. That area just seems to be growing far too rapidly for the infrastructure to keep up with. I can see why, too.
Winchester > Reston!

Old 12-29-2009, 04:32 AM

3,888 posts, read 5,340,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Winchester is a nice town...but I always get ticked when I see the "Home of Patsy Cline"...."Patsy Cline Blvd" signs...and all the other references to her.

The good people of Winchester thought Virginia Hensley was a low-life from the wrong side of the tracks when she was growing up. But when she hit the big time as Patsy Cline....they want to cash-in on her fame?

Phonies!

Wow, a small town (especially in the 1950-60s) that had a social heirachy. Who could imagine that? Fast forward 50 years, where few people have actual memories of the woman and the city decides to honor her. Clearly the entire city is full of "phonies"

I stand by my opinion that most people in Winchester are kind, good-hearted people that I love to visit.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:51 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,624,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Wow, a small town (especially in the 1950-60s) that had a social heirachy. Who could imagine that? Fast forward 50 years, where few people have actual memories of the woman and the city decides to honor her. Clearly the entire city is full of "phonies"

I stand by my opinion that most people in Winchester are kind, good-hearted people that I love to visit.
I lived in Winchester from 1958 to 1961 as a nursing student at the old Winchester Hospital on Stewart Street. You have to remember, those were different times for women. The old double standard ruled, it was OK for single men to have sex but not single women (you had to wonder who those men were having sex with). Patsy Cline did have a bad reputation but I would guess that was based on rumor rather than fact. The fact that she is honored now has more to do with an acknowledgement of her talent and a more tolerant attitude, not that the city is full of phonies. After all, most of the judgemental older people of the time are probably now dead. I married a Winchester man that I met while a student nurse there, so I have fond memories of the town.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:04 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,866,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Wow, a small town (especially in the 1950-60s) that had a social heirachy. Who could imagine that?..

Oh no, I'm not shocked....I've picked the 5-string banjo in small towns all over VA-NC-TN, so I'm familiar with the mindset, which I might add, survives to this day. It's typical.

As Mr Gump might say...Phony is as phony does!

Old 12-29-2009, 12:07 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,778,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
I lived in Winchester from 1958 to 1961 as a nursing student at the old Winchester Hospital on Stewart Street. You have to remember, those were different times for women. The old double standard ruled, it was OK for single men to have sex but not single women (you had to wonder who those men were having sex with). Patsy Cline did have a bad reputation but I would guess that was based on rumor rather than fact. The fact that she is honored now has more to do with an acknowledgement of her talent and a more tolerant attitude, not that the city is full of phonies. After all, most of the judgemental older people of the time are probably now dead. I married a Winchester man that I met while a student nurse there, so I have fond memories of the town.
Margery, thanks for sharing your story. So nice to hear from someone who lived there during this time. The only memories I have of Patsy Cline were my parents who collected her records and would sing along with them in our livingroom (now I grew up NE). So when I heard about Patsy Cline being from Winchester, I had fond memories but in a very different way.

Actually, when I was house hunting in Winchester, Patsy Cline's mother's house (that Patsy was married in) was on the market. It was well-preserved but too small for my family and I. I am not sure who ended up buying it. But our realtor did point out that whoever bought it would need to get used to people/tourists constantly stopping by in front of the house and snapping pictures of it!

Old 12-29-2009, 12:55 PM

3,888 posts, read 5,340,993 times
Quote:
Margery, thanks for sharing your story. So nice to hear from someone who lived there during this time. The only memories I have of Patsy Cline were my parents who collected her records and would sing along with them in our livingroom (now I grew up NE). So when I heard about Patsy Cline being from Winchester, I had fond memories but in a very different way.

Actually, when I was house hunting in Winchester, Patsy Cline's mother's house (that Patsy was married in) was on the market. It was well-preserved but too small for my family and I. I am not sure who ended up buying it. But our realtor did point out that whoever bought it would need to get used to people/tourists constantly stopping by in front of the house and snapping pictures of it!

Buying on Piccadilly was a much wiser financial decision. South Kent is still on the proverbial "wrong side of the tracks" (I know it's technically on the same side of the real railroad tracks as Washington and Stewart but it's world's away) Enjoy your house!

Old 12-29-2009, 01:38 PM

6,561 posts, read 12,868,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I love Winchester so much! It truly feels like "home" to me and reminds me so much of all I had to give up in PA to come live the "good life" in Reston. Why does it have to be so far from my office in Tyson's Corner? Can't we just blow up Ashburn and move it closer?!
Oh c'mon.... Excuses excuses..... I live out here and commute to Ashburn (though not all the way to Tyson's... ewwwwww!!!)... But gotta admit I always get depressed having to come over the mountains into the hell of "NOVA" every day...

Old 12-29-2009, 01:41 PM

6,561 posts, read 12,868,656 times
Quote:
LynchburgLover, I am SO looking forward to getting to know this town. Last week we were snowed in. Our neighbor didn't have a snow shovel and knocked on our door to borrow ours--and in return, shoveled out the front of our car (we got out really easy because he did that). I love that library and eager to try to local eateries. My new neighbors wave to me and the postman driving by waved to me too!

That fabulous George Washington Hotel is beautiful. And now they are building an Aloft hotel (very hip international boutique hotel line) in Winchester. I'm looking forward to the Apple Blossum Festival in the spring, the Hot Air Balloon & Wine Festival in the Fall, etc.

On top of that -- I LOVE the new house! A historic home and a far cry from my first house, a suburban special.
Sounds like you're jumping in with both feet!!! Great!!!

Don't forget a few other items to check out such as the Cedar Creek Re-Enactment (sounds hokey, but it's really pretty spectacular!!!), as well as the Wine and Craft fair in Front Royal, and all the Fall Festivals... Honestly the best fall festival is Grave's Mountain which is out toward Madison (a little over an hour away, but one of the most BEAUTIFUL drives you'll ever take)....

There is SO much great stuff out here!! Welcome!!!

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot..... Local eateries? MUST check out Union Jack on the Loudoun Walking Mall, and Irish Isle in Middletown..... (Yeah, both are English fair, but the beer is incredible!!! ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia