Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 03:37 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I'm also a Winchester Lover!
LynchburgLover, I am SO looking forward to getting to know this town. Last week we were snowed in. Our neighbor didn't have a snow shovel and knocked on our door to borrow ours--and in return, shoveled out the front of our car (we got out really easy because he did that). I love that library and eager to try to local eateries. My new neighbors wave to me and the postman driving by waved to me too!

That fabulous George Washington Hotel is beautiful. And now they are building an Aloft hotel (very hip international boutique hotel line) in Winchester. I'm looking forward to the Apple Blossum Festival in the spring, the Hot Air Balloon & Wine Festival in the Fall, etc.

On top of that -- I LOVE the new house! A historic home and a far cry from my first house, a suburban special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 03:45 PM

428 posts, read 1,114,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
One of the reasons I don't go to the movies much anymore is the sight and sound of people stuffing their faces. I find it annoying -- slurp slurp crunch crunch gulp gulp. I don't know -- it just seems to me if you need to eat that bad -- just stay home and watch a DVD.

Sorry -- I am kinda cranky today.
It's different at the Alamo, though. At least, it's different at the originals; I hope the Winchester location will continue the tradition.

For example, when Mr. Husband and I saw "Snakes on a Plane" at the Alamo, we wound up sitting in front of Quentin Tarantino and the cast of "Grindhouse" (they were in Austin filming), and we were able to order up a bucket of Samuel Jackson Bada$$ MFing Ale -- complete with an altered Sam Adams label. It's that kind of place.

The one in Austin has also had events like a Lord of the Rings dinner-and-three-movies marathon, complete with all of the meals Hobbits regularly eat. That's a lot of meals.

Those are just a couple of examples, but the original Alamo makes going to the movies an event. It's so much more than just slurp slurp crunch crunch gulp gulp. The food's fab, the beer selections rock... It's just fun like nowhere else.

I cannot *wait* to get out there! We'll probably have to wait 'til the baby's a little older, though. I don't think I can leave a three-month-old just so I can go to the movies, even if it is the Alamo. ::sigh::

Old 12-28-2009, 03:50 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
The Alamo in Winchester is great! HUGE shakes....good coffee....fun times.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:51 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
South Jersey Styx

Are you on the Parade Route? I have seven or eight friends on it and what a blast that is! Parties, parties, parties! Winchester's very social in that downtown area.

And, stock up now on pink and green! Whether you're male or female, you have to be dressed in pink and green! So wherever you go, if you see a sweater, tie, shoes, whatever, buy them because by March you won't be able to buy it in town!

Enjoy it; I love visiting there and I'd consider retiring there if it weren't so doggone cold!

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 12-28-2009 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: second thoughts

Old 12-28-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Congratulations, when did you get the house?
Last week!
We've already got friends form New York City coming for the weekend and family from NJ stopping by on Sunday as well as a friends in DC planning to trek over for visits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
These dinner and a movie places sound like fun. BTW, you can also go to Wegmans for movie night. Buy a sub and watch a movie--such a deal! If I was single, I might even try Wegman's movie night as a way to meet someone (or at least an inexpensive place to hang out with other people).
I honestly didn't know about this normie! Thanks for the advice. This sounds like fun too!

Last edited by South Jersey Styx; 12-28-2009 at 04:25 PM..

Old 12-28-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Are you on the Parade Route? I have seven or eight friends on it and what a blast that is! Parties, parties, parties! Winchester's very social in that downtown area.
Geez, I don't know! I'll have to research where exactly the parade route goes. Our house is on Piccadilly Street which runs through the east-west axis of town.

Quote:
And, stock up now on pink and green! Whether you're male or female, you have to be dressed in pink and green! So wherever you go, if you see a sweater, tie, shoes, whatever, buy them because by March you won't be able to buy it in town!
Yes, I heard about this! Pink and green and apples and apple-things everywhere!

Quote:
Enjoy it; I love visiting there and I'd consider retiring there if it weren't so doggone cold!
Well, being a native New Jerseyan has helped build resistance to the cold However, there is a big difference with the terrain on that side of the state -- crossing through mountains which is not a pleasant thing in heavy rain or snow!!

Old 12-28-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themommy View Post
For example, when Mr. Husband and I saw "Snakes on a Plane" at the Alamo, we wound up sitting in front of Quentin Tarantino and the cast of "Grindhouse" (they were in Austin filming), and we were able to order up a bucket of Samuel Jackson Bada$$ MFing Ale -- complete with an altered Sam Adams label. It's that kind of place.

The one in Austin has also had events like a Lord of the Rings dinner-and-three-movies marathon, complete with all of the meals Hobbits regularly eat. That's a lot of meals.
This sounds AWESOME! Something I would definitely invite friends to! I hope this Alamo copies the one in Austin, if not now then later. themommy, thanks for sharing!

Old 12-28-2009, 04:44 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Thanks for the tip! I just learned my potential "flame" probably has no plans for New Year's Eve, so I was thinking of taking us out to Winchester for their First Night celebration. Maybe I can bring us out a bit earlier so we can squeeze in a dinner/movie as well. I love Winchester so much! It truly feels like "home" to me and reminds me so much of all I had to give up in PA to come live the "good life" in Reston. Why does it have to be so far from my office in Tyson's Corner? Can't we just blow up Ashburn and move it closer?!

Old 12-28-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I love Winchester so much! It truly feels like "home" to me and reminds me so much of all I had to give up in PA to come live the "good life" in Reston. Why does it have to be so far from my office in Tyson's Corner?
Scran, as you move up in your career why not look for something out that way? There are some govt agencies out there, several universities, city/county positions, etc. Also, Front Royal, Martinsburg, WV, Harpers Ferry, and Charlestown, WV might have something. I think you'd really like it!

Old 12-28-2009, 05:20 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
You'd know if you were Parade Route -- the realtor would have told you and you'd pay a premium!

It goes down part of Piccadilly (Cameron to Washington), then left on Washington all the way down to the last block before Handley, turns right, then left for the last block of Stewart. Then down to Handley in front of the reviewing stands by the high school.

There's a firemen's parade Friday afternoon and the big one on Saturday. www.thebloom.com

It's a wonderful family atmosphere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia