U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:11 AM

7 posts, read 12,568 times

Advertisements

Thanks you for the feeback, this is VERY helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 12:46 PM

10 posts, read 39,465 times
Best advice is to live near where you work...Ballston to Ashburn in the AM is fine, in the evening you'll be hating life. You work 5 days, go out 2 (ok maybe 3) Just crash at a friends house on the weekends and you're good to go. Metro is coming to Ashburn but that's still 5 years off.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:16 PM

Think I am leaning towards Reston then based on this feedback.Sounds like a good option...

Any other thoughts are welcomed...keep them coming and thanks for the time!

Old 12-28-2009, 03:22 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,780,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldieGuy View Post
Best advice is to live near where you work...Ballston to Ashburn in the AM is fine, in the evening you'll be hating life. You work 5 days, go out 2 (ok maybe 3) Just crash at a friends house on the weekends and you're good to go. . .
Totally agree. Best advice of the day. OP, maybe I missed it, but did you mention where exactly you would be working? I wasn't sure if your new job is in the Ballston area or Ashburn area.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:21 PM

Will be working in Ashburn. Reston sounds pretty good to me I suppose, but was hoping to be a little closer to DC, Metro..but can't have it all!

Old 12-30-2009, 07:08 AM

588 posts, read 1,197,694 times
You won't have to pay tolls to get from Reston to Ashburn, though you will not be able to take the most "direct" route without paying tolls. There are other ways, though.

I go into Ashburn fairly often, and I usually take Rt. 7 or Waxpool Rd. to get into the Ashburn area.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:53 PM

9 posts, read 25,545 times
Default Ballston to Ashburn

Not sure if you have made a housing decision yet, but here's my 2 cents. I commute from Ballston to Ashburn every day. I can be to my office (by Waxpool and Loundon Co. Parkway) in 35-40 minutes in the morning. You take 66 west to the Toll Road, then take the Toll Road until you hit Rt. 28 north right by the airport. From there its 28 North about 1.5 miles to Waxpool. The only traffic I hit is the first couple miles from the 66 ramp to about the East Falls Church Metro. After that it's smooth sailing. $1 toll.

On the way home, back out Waxpool to 28 South to the Toll Road again. Take the toll Rd. to Rt 7 East. Take 7 east through Tysons Corner, and then hop on 66 E at East Falls Church again and head back to the Ballston exit, about 4-5 miles. You'll hit some traffic on 7 through Tysons, and again when you get on 66 (usually pretty slow,maybe 20 mph, but only for a couple miles). $0.75 toll. Return trip takes between 45 min and an hour most days. With heavy traffic, 1 hour 15 minutes. On a good day, about 35-40 minutes.

If you don't mind a little drive, its not so bad. Also, I leave Ballston around 7:45 am and head home around 6:30 pm. Leaving earlier in the morning helps. Leaving Ashburn between 4 and 5 may add a few minutes. Leaving at 6 pm or later takes off a few minutes. Hope this helped.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:08 AM

12 posts, read 16,917 times
I commute from Arlington to the Dulles area everyday. Paying the tolls suck but it's better than driving all the way down 66 and cutting down 28 or using 7 with all the traffic lights. The commute can get frustrating but it's not too terrible if you can work a flexible schedule. I *try* to leave everyday around 7 and I get to my desk no later than 730/740. That said I also leave work right around 4 and tend to miss/catch the early part of the 66/toll road congestion. Basically if you can work a little earlier or later then it won't be too bad. Just don't expect to be able to leave at 8 or head home around 5 without some nasty traffic.

Kind of a side note:

If you work out there is the alternative of joining a gym in the Ashburn area (golds/fitness first have branches in arlington) and getting a workout in right after work while traffic dies down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia