Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 03:07 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

DISCLAIMER: Another member asked politely for me and another member who shall remain nameless at present time to "give it a rest" in our squabbling in a related thread, so I felt as if it was only fair to those who are coming onto here to research Culpeper County to have their own dedicated thread to the area devoid of nastiness.

With that being said please discuss below your own personal insights and experiences with Culpeper County for the benefit of those seeking relocation there!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 03:22 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
the women generally look bigger around the waist, which I love

Old 07-16-2009, 03:46 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I'm very excited at the prospect of visiting Culpeper at some point when I return from my upcoming business trip to Memphis. I've visited a few web sites about the town, and it looks like you'd truly be taking a step back in time to a simpler era. I can already imagine people sitting on front porches of gracious older homes along leafy side streets, children riding their bikes, little old ladies playing bingo at the fire hall, etc., etc.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:46 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
I've been to Culpeper a few times since my father is buried in the National Cemetary. It seems to be a quaint small town with a nice looking historic downtown, one you might associate with a rural town from a 50's movie. It does seem to have seen its better days since the shopping is dominated by a Wal-Mart Supercenter on the north side of town. I saw quite a few second-hand thrift shops that were storefronts in town. To the west of town, there's a burgeoning bedroom community built around Lake Pelham for commuters to jobs in Western Fairfax Co via Route 29. I've not ventured over to that area.

From the looks of this video, it looks like Culpeper has built up a lot more in the last three years despite the real estate downturn in the rest of Northern Virginia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFNAWBZnIoQ

Last edited by lchoro; 07-16-2009 at 05:03 PM..

Old 09-11-2009, 10:02 AM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
I've been to Culpeper a few times since my father is buried in the National Cemetary. It seems to be a quaint small town with a nice looking historic downtown, one you might associate with a rural town from a 50's movie. It does seem to have seen its better days since the shopping is dominated by a Wal-Mart Supercenter on the north side of town. I saw quite a few second-hand thrift shops that were storefronts in town. To the west of town, there's a burgeoning bedroom community built around Lake Pelham for commuters to jobs in Western Fairfax Co via Route 29. I've not ventured over to that area.

From the looks of this video, it looks like Culpeper has built up a lot more in the last three years despite the real estate downturn in the rest of Northern Virginia.

YouTube - Culpeper Online
I respectfully disagree. Downtown is a great place with good places to eat and quaint shops. Walmart is not in town.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:18 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Culpeper is not quite the small town quaint town some would think it is. If you're comparing it to Reston or a similar area then sure.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 7,990 times
I watched the BBC election special on YouTube that was filmed in Culpeper. The town really looks segregated. In fact, the commentator even mentioned it in the show. In my experience, segregation and racism go hand and hand. I am thinking of moving here from "out west", in a town that is very diverse and integrated. I am attracted to Culpeper because it seems on the surface to be diverse. I know this is a hot-button topic, but would like honest (and polite) responses, if you have first hand knowledge of this town. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:07 PM

542 posts, read 991,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesCurius View Post
I watched the BBC election special on YouTube that was filmed in Culpeper. The town really looks segregated. In fact, the commentator even mentioned it in the show. In my experience, segregation and racism go hand and hand. I am thinking of moving here from "out west", in a town that is very diverse and integrated. I am attracted to Culpeper because it seems on the surface to be diverse. I know this is a hot-button topic, but would like honest (and polite) responses, if you have first hand knowledge of this town. Thanks.
I grew up in Culpeper and though not nearly as diverse as the rest of NoVa, I never sensed any hostilities. I went to school with Chinese, Indians, Middle Easterners, Blacks, and Hispanics and for the most part everyone got along. Yes there were fights and kids hated each other, but not for the color of their skin or culture. I do remember the only kid to be picked on so badly that he literally dropped out was a white kid. All the "minorities" were the popular kids. I was part of the stoner/skateboarder crowd, so I didn't care about anything to do with foolishness of that sort at that time. Having said that, Culpeper is polarized between the commuters to NoVa/DC and the townies who are pretty much all the white trash stereotypes. Since I moved away, the town has really built up to my amazement, and there has been a huge influx of Hispanic workers. It was unbelievably boring growing up there but I might be able to live there now with some of the new development. It's relatively close to DC for a nice easy day trip which is nice. It's still on the extreme outer fringes of NoVa to the point some people don't even consider it a part of it. It's very rural outside of the town limits. And even back in the early 90's there were gang problems. Not sure how it is now, but it's definitely there. Bottom line, you may like it, but it sounds like you would be better off closer to the District.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:15 PM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesCurius View Post
I saw how they portrayed that as well. It's BS to be honest. I live right near where they said the "ghetto" section was. We have a brand new community and all types of races live here. There is no "segregation" at all. That is the typical liberal slant on reporting. My wife thought that was funny. We eat at the "ghetto" hamburger joint all the time. It just so happened two black people were in line at the time of the taping, so they call it "the ghetto". Kind of racist if you ask me. If you want to see real "segregation" journey over to some of the "liberal" rich Northern Va areas. They'll give money to their local "NAACP", but they wouldn't dare live next to a minority. In my neighborhood, I AM the minority, and everything is fine. We live in 2500 square foot houses and there is virtually no crime. Everybody goes walking and hangs out at birthday parties. All different races, religions, etc. Don't believe the hype.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:39 PM

131 posts, read 447,020 times
Hi! I'm considering a move to the area and Culpeper is on my short list. Anyone have any knowledge of any music scene, particularly jazz/blues clubs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia