U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 02:36 PM

6 posts, read 10,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Wow! I'm not the only one on this forum anymore who doesn't think Fairfax County is the "Promised Land!" SCORE!!! Now the fangs have more necks to bite! For what it's worth I somewhat knew what I was getting myself into, but seeing how happy everyone on this forum was I sort of told myself "maybe it won't be so bad after all." I moved here and tried so much to "love" NoVA the way everyone else on this forum does, but after sitting in WEEKEND traffic jams, playing ******* trying to cross streets because pedestrians here were afterthoughts, paying 100% of one of my paychecks and 10% of the other on my monthly rent, etc., etc. I'm just not quite seeing what makes this area so "unique" and "superior." It's just the same over-priced bland suburbia I've experienced in any other major metropolitan area.
everything you have said has been my experience thus far. I actually go to visit friends in southern virginia almost every weekend to escape! am i doing this wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 02:41 PM

30,079 posts, read 67,149,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaHater View Post
everything you have said has been my experience thus far. I actually go to visit friends in southern virginia almost every weekend to escape! am i doing this wrong?
Wow! You sound a lot like alanboy395, the other NoVA hater (yes, there's only a select few of us). He is originally from Southern VA too. I have to admit the one thing that keeps me sane here is thinking about Spring weekends when I actually get to leave Fairfax County and head to NICE places like Fredericksburg, Winchester, Charlottesville, Harper's Ferry, etc. to walk around, chat it up with the locals, dabble in my photography, and fantasize about renting an apartment in one of these places. I just wish there was someplace nice like this within commmuting range of Tyson's Corner. You can't find historic charm, character, friendliness, and appeal like that anywhere remotely nearby, and quite frankly I don't know why.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:04 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,765,724 times
I don't know the area near Skyline too well, but I believe the Dogfishhead pub and restaurant is near there. That's a fun little spot you might really enjoy.

Dogfish Head Ale House | Beer - DFH Alehouse, Falls Church

Old 12-29-2009, 03:59 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,313,500 times
Quote:
Also, i havent found much yet in terms of locally owned eats, hole in the wall bars (i need my "cheers"!)
Good eats suggestions near'ish you on Gallows Rd:
  • Jasmine Garden (Chinese/Japanese) at the Yorktowne Shopping Center on the corner of Gallows Rd and Rt 50
  • Sweetwater Tavern -- right across the street from Jasmine Garden in the same plaza as Chevy's and Pizzeria Uno (yes, they are part of the local Great American Restaurants chain, but they also have good food)
  • Five Guys -- a little north of Sweetwater Tavern (yes, they are a chain now, but this location is good) -- and Five Guys is in the same plaza as a really great thrift shop called Unique Thrift Store
I'm sure others can add to the list.

As for hole in the wall bars -- I'm afraid I'm not much help there. I like Hard Times Cafe on Wilson Blvd. in Arlington.

ETA: As for a good locally owned eats place near Skyline, I recommend Flavors Soul Food on Carlyn Hill Drive in Falls Church.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:39 PM

23,536 posts, read 33,251,164 times
Quote:
Which part of SoVA are you from? Raised in Hampton/Yorktown myself. Sadly can't visit it every weekend.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:09 PM

If you're ever out in the Reston/Herndon area I could treat you to good eats at Jimmy's. It's a nice "hole-in-the-wall" sort of place. It's hard to find wonderful places like that in this area dominated by the "progressive/enlightened" Starbucks/Cosi crowd.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:42 PM

72 posts, read 166,032 times
You all could add me to the list as well. I have lived all my life in this area and I still do not see what the big hype is..... I have yet to see how living here gives you better benefits than say living in the midwest.... And, please don't give me social gatherings as a reason.... I am sure folks in the midwest have social gatherings as well as great bicycle paths etc... and no, schools are not so great!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:57 PM

6 posts, read 10,710 times
Hey guys. just to clear up any confusion i didnt mean to suggest i was actually from SoVa. When i said deep south i meant New Orleans, la!

but i go to southern Va to visit my gf and her friends on the weekends..
anyways ill definitely be tryin those suggestion and would love to check out some bars with whoever!

Old 12-30-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05c6400 View Post
You all could add me to the list as well. I have lived all my life in this area and I still do not see what the big hype is..... I have yet to see how living here gives you better benefits than say living in the midwest.... And, please don't give me social gatherings as a reason.... I am sure folks in the midwest have social gatherings as well as great bicycle paths etc... and no, schools are not so great!
The only two reasons people ever can give me as to why NoVA is so "awesome" are:

1.) "Our schools are outstanding"
2.) "NoVA is the only place with jobs"

If you're a young single who rents why do you give a hoot about #1? There are plenty of jobs in my career path elsewhere, so #2 doesn't apply to me either.

I suppose I just expect MORE out of an area for paying nearly $1,200/month for a 1-BR apartment than incessant traffic congestion, a Metrorail service that is in dire need of expansion, chain restaurants and big-box stores around every bend, a lack of historic or nostalgic appeal, the "I'm important" people, etc. I'm just still not seeing what makes a place like Reston better than any other part of the country, and I'm the "bogeyman" for this.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:24 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,765,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
The only two reasons people ever can give me as to why NoVA is so "awesome" are:

1.) "Our schools are outstanding"
2.) "NoVA is the only place with jobs"
Really??? The only two reasons people can ever give you? Ever??? Funny, it took me less than 30 seconds to find at least 5 different threads listing quite a few more than just those 2 reasons.

Why do people live here
Why do you love nova
what do you like about nova
homesick for nova
10 reasons to move to nova
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or