U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:52 PM
TPL

128 posts, read 168,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
When the weather gets warmer, take your dogs up to Seneca Park so they can enjoy the doggie splash. It's a little spot of the Potomac that dogs just love to spash around in. But be warned... you're going to get wet!
Are you talking about actually allowing for your dog to swim in the River?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 07:09 AM

15,402 posts, read 17,311,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPL View Post
Are you talking about actually allowing for your dog to swim in the River?
Yes, it's a wonderful spot that is protected by an island and several fallen trees that long ago dammed up a little swimming hole.

Seneca Park is a big park you'll find at the end of Seneca Road (right along the border of Loudoun and Fairfax Counties). Take the dirt trail down to the river. The doggie splash is about 3/4 mile down the path. You'll usually see at least 3-4 dogs there. Dogs just love it! Be aware, most of them are off leash. Sometimes people swim there, although it's really too shallow for that.

These photos are from last spring when the winter melt was just starting and the river was high. Once the river levels are lower, the area shown in the second photo looks different. The water recedes and you'll see a number of rocks and fallen trees that form a protective buffer (those same rocks and trees are what cause the rapids in this photo). There's even a little area that's safe for smaller dogs.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 14,337,242 times
Just looking at these photos is warming me up. Hard to believe we'll be wearing shorts again, I've gotten used to thinking it will always be cold and the trees will always be bare!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:00 PM

34 posts, read 64,472 times
There is a nice dog park in Vienna. On Old Courthouse Rd., just next to Nottoway Park. It's very shaded, so not a lot of grass grows, but is nice.

I used to go to the Blake Lane one, but it was sort of a big open field and would get hot. Haven't been in a few years, since I don't have dogs anymore.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 PM

75 posts, read 87,003 times
Those photos look awesome! I hate this weather.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:05 AM

18,717 posts, read 14,337,242 times
The Reston Dog Park is my favorite. Good place to chat with people, too.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:26 AM

4,489 posts, read 5,189,036 times
There is a great one on Duke Street right next to the library and Harris Teeter. You have to park in one of the two lots and walk to get to it (though it's only 100 yards or so). The people are super friendly and dog knowledgeable, and there are benches and tables and trees which are luxuries in a lot of dog parks.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:31 PM

14,141 posts, read 15,283,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
When the weather gets warmer, take your dogs up to Seneca Park so they can enjoy the doggie splash. It's a little spot of the Potomac that dogs just love to spash around in. But be warned... you're going to get wet!
The dog park along the Potomac on S. Union in Old Town Alex. is clean but you will get wet. The dogs have their own little beach. It's a nice, low key park. No fences though, so you should only bring an obedient dog who wont wander off. Seems popular with the Golden/lab folks.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:21 PM

87 posts, read 172,280 times
Quinn Farm Park is in Chantilly, off Old Lee. It's gravel, and has a separate area for large and small dogs.

This is the park we frequent the most, since it is 10 minutes away. Everyone has been friendly, and I've only had one problem with someone who would not control his dog. Left everytime I saw him show up for a few weeks, and it's now been a few months since I've seen him.

Not much shade, but there are some benches and a few trees there. You may have a soccer game going on in the fields next door, or someone flying a remote control airplane.

This park has no running water, but just about everyone brings a bottle (or a gallon or two) and fills the community dishes.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:23 PM

613 posts, read 1,919,461 times
There is a dog park at Olde Izaak Walton park in Leesburg. It's right off of 15/S Kings St. It's quite large and has a lot of shade. They have running water there and this time of year there are some pools. I live in Haymarket and prefer that one over the Merrifield Garden center one, simply due to size. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but there is also one in Centreville, I think off Braddock Rd. I've never been there though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia