U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:11 AM

14,141 posts, read 15,500,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPL View Post
Are you talking about actually allowing for your dog to swim in the River?
Still waiting for the admonishment bound to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 09:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 14,574,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPL View Post
Are you talking about actually allowing for your dog to swim in the River?
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Yes, it's a wonderful spot that is protected by an island and several fallen trees that long ago dammed up a little swimming hole.
You missed it, it was back on the last page (see quotes above). No admonishment needed since this is a protected area. It's not the same as letting a dog swim in the open river.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:13 AM

4,489 posts, read 5,269,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
You missed it, it was back on the last page (see quotes above). No admonishment needed since this is a protected area. It's not the same as letting a dog swim in the open river.
I dunno. I've let my dog swim (well, frolic and bounce around--she likes her feet to be on the ground!) in creeks and inlets before, and several people have chewed me out for it (saying the water is polluted, there's who knows what sharp objects at the bottom, etc).

People always find something you're doing wrong!

Old 07-30-2010, 10:29 AM

15,402 posts, read 17,443,993 times
The upper part of the Potomac isn't what I'd call a polluted river. There may be some run off from storm drains, but it's not like there are factories upstream pouring chemicals into it. Until you get to DC, the banks are mostly undeveloped on both sides. It's a rapidly moving river, which means it's regularly cleaned by the rainfall and snow melt from the mountains.

To put it in perspective, I feel safe paddling around in it for hours at a time. I eat fish I catch there, and it hasn't killed me yet. So I think it's probably safe to let a dog splash in it. How long is the dog going to splash around in it, anyway? Most dogs play for 5-10 minutes--the river would have to be really toxic for that short of an exposure to hurt them.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It's not the same as letting a dog swim in the open river.
I've let my dog swim in the river for the past 10 years and have seen no ill effects.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I've let my dog swim in the river for the past 10 years and have seen no ill effects.
With the Potomac what you have to be worried about is the current. It can be very dangerous in some parts of the river. OTOH, the are large stretches of the river that aren't that dangerous at all. Lowes Island Country Club actually has a swimming platform out in the middle of the river. I would be way to scared to try swimming there myself, but I guess (in that particular area) people do it.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
With the Potomac what you have to be worried about is the current.
Not by the time it gets to Alexandria. Stagnation is a bigger issue.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Not by the time it gets to Alexandria. Stagnation is a bigger issue.
Very true! The Potomac is like two different rivers, depending if your upriver or downriver of Great Falls.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Very true! The Potomac is like two different rivers, depending if your upriver or downriver of Great Falls.
Down where we are the tidal surge is much stronger than the current, but if you're not somewhere like the Little Hunting Creek bridge, even that's almost unnoticeable. I never have a problem getting back after I paddle way downriver from Mount Vernon.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Down where we are the tidal surge is much stronger than the current, but if you're not somewhere like the Little Hunting Creek bridge, even that's almost unnoticeable. I never have a problem getting back after I paddle way downriver from Mount Vernon.
Then it sounds like a dog would be just find around there. A big dog, of course, like a labrador.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia