U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:36 PM

8 posts, read 28,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
and your social life will be a drag
So true. When I lived in Herndon several years ago, I spent a lot of my free time driving into DC/Arlington on weekends. Weeknights were a drag, socially. I spent a lot of time working out, on W&OD trail and anything active. Being social out there for my demographic was a challenge for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 02:23 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,129,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munsonroyg View Post
I have been reading quite a few threads on this forum to get as much information as possible about a future move (about 5-6 months from now). There is a wealth of information on here and a lot of great contributors. I'm hoping I can get some input.

My background: I'm 28 and grew up 30 miles west of DC. Currently, I own a townhome in Falls Church and I'm very familiar with most parts of NOVA. I work in Herndon and have my reverse commute down to a science. My current neighbhorhood is quite an unsocial place with mostly 40+ year-old couples and a shocking number of older single folks that never leave the house. The mile radius around my house is not exactly a hip area to walk to the gym, shops, grocery store, book store, park, etc. No one does as it's pretty scummy.

I would like to find a nice place to myself (no roommates) in a young community (mostly 20s - 30s) where there is a decent amount of walkablity. I don't need nightlife and a metro within walking distance, nor do I want to pay a premium for it, e.g. Clarendon. Clarendon would be nice, but $1800+ for rent seems like a waste to me, even though I can afford it. I just don't use the metro. I get the feeling that north of the orange line, in Arlington, and just out metro walking distance might have what I'm looking for. I'm familiar with everything along Wilson/Clarendon blvd, but not the communities North and south of there. I had friends that used to live north of Ballston and they were both old, worn-down buildings. It would be nice to have a fairly new building. A pool would be great, too. Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated!
The sad reality is that the metro area has priced itself out of the affordably 'hip'/bohemian market. Years ago, I could have directed you to a dozen affordable neighborhoods full of 20-something types (I used to live in one), but that was back when metro D.C. was largely made up of middle-class government workers. I used to live in a studio apartment in Dupont Circle for $200 a month (early 1980's), and a friend lived in a one-bedroom in Rosslyn, 2 blocks from the Metro, for $185. I don't know how young people today afford rents in Clarendon or Adams-Morgan/U St., especially when they're saddled with school loan debt.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:24 PM

30,101 posts, read 67,199,392 times
RESTON? A "hip" place to be for twenty-somethings? (Falls on floor laughing!) Sorry, but as a 20-something myself I just view Reston as being Arlington---only with less character, fewer sidewalks and streetlights, more anti-density/progress NIMBYs, poor mass transit, and more chains. There's far too much "hype" here for a typical suburb. Why pay to live in a condo at Reston Town Center when you could pay a comparable price to live along the Orange Line Corridor in North Arlington?

I honestly can't think of any "hip" part of NoVA that isn't near a Metrorail line. Old Town Alexandria would be the only suggestion I'd have, and, to a lesser extent, Tone509's stomping grounds of Del Ray. I actually think the City of Falls Church would have some good potential to be a young Nirvana with the awesome State Theater, restaurants, and shopping downtown, but it still needs a ton of work.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munsonroyg View Post
So true. When I lived in Herndon several years ago, I spent a lot of my free time driving into DC/Arlington on weekends. Weeknights were a drag, socially. I spent a lot of time working out, on W&OD trail and anything active. Being social out there for my demographic was a challenge for sure.
Jimmy's and the W&OD Trail are two of the only things that keep me sane here. I mean, there's not even a gay bar, bowling alley, mini-golf course, dinner theater, etc. in Reston for crying out loud, and it is DC's largest suburb outside the Beltway. It's just a big void of never-ending earth-toned apartment clusters and trails that wind around to nowhere in particular (in lieu of sidewalks). Just because we have a skyline doesn't make us "hip."

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
The sad reality is that the metro area has priced itself out of the affordably 'hip'/bohemian market. Years ago, I could have directed you to a dozen affordable neighborhoods full of 20-something types (I used to live in one), but that was back when metro D.C. was largely made up of middle-class government workers. I used to live in a studio apartment in Dupont Circle for $200 a month (early 1980's), and a friend lived in a one-bedroom in Rosslyn, 2 blocks from the Metro, for $185. I don't know how young people today afford rents in Clarendon or Adams-Morgan/U St., especially when they're saddled with school loan debt.
Young people today don't afford those areas on their own. Mommy-and-daddy help them or they shack up three in an apartment. I can barely swing RESTON financially, and this place is a black hole for a 23-year-old who doesn't earn $100,000.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:58 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,401,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I actually think the City of Falls Church would have some good potential to be a young Nirvana with the awesome State Theater, restaurants, and shopping downtown, but it still needs a ton of work.
Yeah... if you look cross-eyed at the bit of Washington north of Broad, you might kinda-sorta be able to pretend you're in an actual cute little historic-small-town-turned-suburb. I don't see the area getting worse, certainly. More crowded? Definitely.

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 12-30-2009 at 03:07 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Yeah... if you look cross-eyed at the bit of Washington north of Broad, you might kinda-sorta be able to pretend you're in actual cute little historic-small-town-turned-suburb. I don't see the area getting worse, certainly. More crowded? Definitely.
If the Spectrum at Falls Church wasn't so over-priced I was thinking of moving there in May 2010. Falls Church is very lacking in terms of "curb appeal", but, as athousandlogins pointed out, there ARE ample businesses within walking distance to keep one sustained. From that place I could walk to Giant, the State, restaurants (Elevation Burger!), and stores. One can argue I can do that now in Reston, but 90% of what I can walk to is chain store crap.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:10 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,780,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Jimmy's and the W&OD Trail are two of the only things that keep me sane here. I mean, there's not even a gay bar, bowling alley, mini-golf course, dinner theater, etc. in Reston for crying out loud, and it is DC's largest suburb outside the Beltway.
I don't know if this makes it hip, but Reston is actually home to one of the best mini golfs in the DC area. Woodys Golf Range. Bowling is just down the street in Sterling Bowl America: Locations. Reston periodically hosts murder mystery dinners. Sorry, can't help you with gay bars. Is it against the law to meet gay guys at a regular bar?

Old 12-30-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I don't know if this makes it hip, but Reston is actually home to one of the best mini golfs in the DC area. Woodys Golf Range. Bowling is just down the street in Sterling Bowl America: Locations. Reston periodically hosts murder mystery dinners. Sorry, can't help you with gay bars. Is it against the law to meet gay guys at a regular bar?
1.) I'm talking about a place like the State Theater in Falls Church or The Alamo in Winchester. Something like that would be wonderful to have in Reston. Where is it?

2.) I'll thank you for the tip on Woody's. I'll eat my words now since I didn't know that place even existed. I can and do admit when I'm proven wrong.

3.) I know about Bowl America. With the traffic between Reston and Sterling though I don't consider that place to really be "local." I maintain that a town...errr...city...errr...(HOA?) of 65,000 should have a bowling alley. Ditto a billiards hall.

4.) The problem is that I'm a "butch" gay guy, so other guys are afraid to hit on me because they think I'm straight, and I'm attracted to other "butch" guys, so I'm afraid to hit on anyone else for the very same reason of getting a black eye or offending someone. My "gaydar" is awful. A gay bar sort of limits the male clientele to gays and straight guys whose girlfriends dragged them there (the latter of which should sort of "expect" to be ogled for being in such a place to begin with).

Old 12-30-2009, 06:03 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,545 times
Well this just proves that we can learn something new every day. WHY would a girl drag her straight boyfriend to a gay bar ?

Old 12-30-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Well this just proves that we can learn something new every day. WHY would a girl drag her straight boyfriend to a gay bar ?
You've got me. I knew of girls that did that back in PA though. I never understood it either. Maybe they wanted to hang out with gay friends while fobbing off unwanted advances from other women by using their boyfriends as collateral?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia