Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:04 AM

8 posts, read 30,832 times

Advertisements

I have been reading quite a few threads on this forum to get as much information as possible about a future move (about 5-6 months from now). There is a wealth of information on here and a lot of great contributors. I'm hoping I can get some input.

My background: I'm 28 and grew up 30 miles west of DC. Currently, I own a townhome in Falls Church and I'm very familiar with most parts of NOVA. I work in Herndon and have my reverse commute down to a science. My current neighbhorhood is quite an unsocial place with mostly 40+ year-old couples and a shocking number of older single folks that never leave the house. The mile radius around my house is not exactly a hip area to walk to the gym, shops, grocery store, book store, park, etc. No one does as it's pretty scummy.

I would like to find a nice place to myself (no roommates) in a young community (mostly 20s - 30s) where there is a decent amount of walkablity. I don't need nightlife and a metro within walking distance, nor do I want to pay a premium for it, e.g. Clarendon. Clarendon would be nice, but $1800+ for rent seems like a waste to me, even though I can afford it. I just don't use the metro. I get the feeling that north of the orange line, in Arlington, and just out metro walking distance might have what I'm looking for. I'm familiar with everything along Wilson/Clarendon blvd, but not the communities North and south of there. I had friends that used to live north of Ballston and they were both old, worn-down buildings. It would be nice to have a fairly new building. A pool would be great, too. Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 09:18 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Reston.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:28 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Reston.
Exactly! Although someone here has also mentioned the Brambleton section of Ashburn as an up-and-coming 20something haven. Also perhaps downtown Fredericksburg with the U. of Mary Washington influence nearby.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Exactly! Although someone here has also mentioned the Brambleton section of Ashburn as an up-and-coming 20something haven. Also perhaps downtown Fredericksburg with the U. of Mary Washington influence nearby.
Maybe Alicia Bradley can give you some pointers on sections of Fairfax City to consider. You might also want to consider Shirlington Village in Alexandria, though that will increase your current commute and I haven't checked how the rental prices compare to the places in Arlington on the Orange Line.

This will give you a feel for what some of the apartment complexes in Shirlington Village look like - some are fairly new:

http://franklymls.com/default.aspx?m...ington+Village

Tone - I don't think I'd wish a Fredericksburg to Herndon commute on anyone, as it wouldn't even be a reverse commute.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:57 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Maybe Alicia Bradley can give you some pointers on sections of Fairfax City to consider. You might also want to consider Shirlington Village in Alexandria, though that will increase your current commute and I haven't checked how the rental prices compare to the places in Arlington on the Orange Line.

This will give you a feel for what some of the apartment complexes in Shirlington Village look like - some are fairly new:

FranklyMLS.com Virginia & DC MLS via Keyword Search & Wiki. Homes for Sale

Tone - I don't think I'd wish a Fredericksburg to Herndon commute on anyone, as it wouldn't even be a reverse commute.
Oops, I must have skipped that Herndon detail. LOL I like your suggestions, though.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:18 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Reston.
Come to Reston and check it out - your commute will be a breeze!

Old 12-30-2009, 12:36 PM

I appreciate the responses. I actually lived in Reston/Herndon 5 years ago for a little over a year and I have worked out here for a combined 6 years. As a single guy, I would never live here. It's not what I'm looking for at all.

Maybe I will have to be patient and try my luck with a room share situation, in Arlington, with plenty of personal space.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:51 PM

JEB, I like the Shirlington Village idea. I thought of Shirlington as I've liked a couple of neighborhoods there I've visted in the past. I guess I need to really visit the area more to get a better feel. The commute is not as nice as Northern Arlington or East Falls Church (where I live), but not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post

FranklyMLS.com Virginia & DC MLS via Keyword Search & Wiki. Homes for Sale

Old 12-30-2009, 01:05 PM

6,707 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Come to Reston and check it out - your commute will be a breeze!
and your social life will be a drag

Old 12-30-2009, 01:13 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
and your social life will be a drag
Not at all, actually. But I've noticed a lot of DC peeps take a pretty elitist stance against anywhere other than DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia