Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 06:21 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,737,752 times

Advertisements

Ok. I've had it with spending the holidays in nova. It's cold and blah blah blah. Yes I'm from a very cold country but it doesn't mean I like the cold. And if we, as a family, have to spend two weeks inside this house for one more Christmas I'm gonna lose it. Don't get me wrong, I love them. A lot. But enough is enough.

Which places are within a 2-3 hour flight away from here that are warm, safe(ish) and family friendly? Don't mind going to a resort, whatever, as long as it's not cold. Beach would be fun too. Someone here went to Miami, I was seriously considering packing the car and driving down..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 06:40 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times
Define cold!

Southern Florida is probably your best choice. Even the Florida panhandle may have cool temperatures this time of year.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:12 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
I was in New Orleans for Christmas a couple years ago and the temperatures averaged in the 60s. In fact, I distinctly recall the local weathercaster warning about "wind chills" in the 50's! ()

My kinda place!

Edit: Having re-read your post, I see you're looking for "family-friendly" places. Obviously you won't want your kids hanging out on Bourbon Street at night. But the rest of the French Quarter is interesting. New Orleans does have its well-publicized challenges but tourist areas like the Quarter as well as the Garden District are fine. Do a little research and you'll find a comfortable place for your family.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:24 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
This is a bizarre year here but I do agree I'm not liking the cold at all - let's hope things get back to normal.

That said, we've talked for a few years about moving closer to the beach, warmer, etc. - I like the seasons (just not liking this cold stuff right now though

Old 12-30-2009, 07:31 PM

743 posts, read 3,899,713 times
Miami is great. The ocean is usually still warm enough to swim in, in December... after that it's questionable until March. The winter is the 'dry' season down there, so generally you can expect it to be between 75-80 and sunny every day. There are MANY activities to do in Miami with a family.

-Jungle Island
-Miami Children's Museum
-Bayfront Park/Bayside Shopping Mall
-Miami Seaquarium
-Crandon Park/Key Biscayne
-Fairchild Tropical Gardens
-Coral Gables/ Miracle Mile/ Venetian Pool
-South Beach/Lummus Park/Lincoln Road Mall
-Monkey Jungle/Miami Metro Zoo

And more... it's really a great place to vacation.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:35 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
I'd recommend the SW coast of Florida - Sanibel and Capitiva Islands, Sarasota, Naples, etc. All fantabulously wonderful places to live or visit and all very, very family-friendly. (And SO unlike NoVA, it makes me kind of sad just to think about not being there right now. ) My parents live in Sarasota.. it's like a land of awesome-ness in every way: historic, artsy downtown; neighborhoods of exquisite old homes; museums; restaurants, restaurants, restaurants; tons of local shopping; gorgeous powdered sugar sand beaches; laid-back lifestyle... Siesta Beach (on Siesta Key) is consistently ranked one of the top five beaches in the U.S., due in large part to its wonderfully soft and brilliantly white sand:

On the other hand, I've never been a huge fan of most of the Atlantic side of Florida - reminds me a bit too much of the Northeastern U.S.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:41 PM

798 posts, read 2,727,445 times
Have you consdered a cruise? You can cruise out of Baltimore or Norfolk and head to some warm places... No flights delayed by bad weather and once on board it is relaxing for the rest of the week.. Here is one site to check out some options but there are many site I am sure..

Cruise Reviews, Cruise Deals and Cruises - Cruise Critic

Old 12-30-2009, 07:42 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
If you're really looking for spend time with kids on a beach this time of year, north/central Florida (including places like Sanibel/Captiva) are iffy and you may set yourself up for disappointment. Head to Miami or the Bahamas instead. OTOH, if you're just looking for some place warmer than NoVa, you've got plenty of options. Bermuda is also nice this time of year (with temperatures typically in the 60s).

Old 12-30-2009, 08:10 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
If you're really looking for spend time with kids on a beach this time of year, north/central Florida (including places like Sanibel/Captiva) are iffy and you may set yourself up for disappointment. Head to Miami or the Bahamas instead. OTOH, if you're just looking for some place warmer than NoVa, you've got plenty of options. Bermuda is also nice this time of year (with temperatures typically in the 60s).
True, but apparently Sarasota had quite a few weeks of 70-something and sunny this winter. (And Sanibel, Capitiva, and Naples are south of there.) It's been getting down into the 30s at night for the past couple days, though, which is very unusual for this time of year. (60s during the day is usually as cold as it gets.)

Old 12-30-2009, 08:23 PM

845 posts, read 2,326,631 times
It was 34.8F in Phoenix the day after Christmas. Maybe 70F on New Year's Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia