U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 09:16 AM

207 posts, read 477,855 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm loving the great points of view here. I'm really trying to be as prepared as I can for this. Although I know you can't be as prepared for anything in life, but I'm trying. Besides, we have GPS, now so I won't get lost. HAHAHAHA!! So here are the streets that the complex I'm looking at are on. It's called Seminary Hill Apartments it's on Kenmore Ave in Alexandria. It's near 395, the Blue Line Metro and the main streets are Beauregard, Braddock, King and Walter Reed, (according to the map). The closest stations are St. Duke and Cameron Station and the Van Dorn Station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 09:23 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,236,814 times
The good news is that you are close to I-395 which takes you into DC or straight to the beltway, and you are not in the worst part of Alexandria :-) You are less than 2 miles from Shirlington, and about 3 miles to Old Town.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:38 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,053,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher383940 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm loving the great points of view here. I'm really trying to be as prepared as I can for this. Although I know you can't be as prepared for anything in life, but I'm trying. Besides, we have GPS, now so I won't get lost. HAHAHAHA!! So here are the streets that the complex I'm looking at are on. It's called Seminary Hill Apartments it's on Kenmore Ave in Alexandria. It's near 395, the Blue Line Metro and the main streets are Beauregard, Braddock, King and Walter Reed, (according to the map). The closest stations are St. Duke and Cameron Station and the Van Dorn Station.
I don't know much about that particular area except that it is fairly comfortable. You should know that "Cameron Station" is actually a townhouse community not a Metrorail stop. We wouldn't want you getting lost in the complex wondering why your GPS isn't pointing your towards a train.LOL

Old 12-31-2009, 09:53 AM

12 posts, read 24,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher383940 View Post
Hi everyone,

You looking at using the Van Dorn Street Blue Line stop or going to King Street? Either way, in the interest of time-savings, I'd switch to the Yellow Line. If you start at Van Dorn, blue is your only option, so switch at Crystal City/Pentagon City/Pentagon... any of those 3 would work, and you'd be inside for those instead of above ground at King Street and the airport... then the first stop inside the district, L'Enfant, get back on the Blue and to Capitol South. Will save a considerable amount of time.

You've mentioned not wanting to drive... understandable, but it may change. Just know one thing, when the light turns green, that means you need to have accelerated to the speed limit instantly, or you get honked at - so don't be alarmed, it's just people behind you with the belief that they are more important, they're harmless. You'll get used to the traffic rather quick, you'll be surprised.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:45 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,236,814 times
its true that you will use your horn a lot more here than (almost) anywhere else. After driving around the DC metro area you will be quailified to be a NYC cab driver if you so desire ;-)

Old 12-31-2009, 10:49 AM

30,120 posts, read 67,233,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
its true that you will use your horn a lot more here than (almost) anywhere else. After driving around the DC metro area you will be quailified to be a NYC cab driver if you so desire ;-)
The drivers here aren't all that bad. I just wish they'd stop with the selfish "I'll crawl in whichever lane I want because it's a free country" mentality. Regardless as to whether or not it is a state law in VA to "drive right; pass left" (as it is in many states) one would think it would be common courtesy to keep to the right if you're driving slowly to let others by. People chastise me for admitting to tailgating left-lane hogs, but then they have no answer as to why people sit and just "hang out" in the passing lane to begin with when they know it's rude and will inconvenience others.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:11 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,046,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
one would think it would be common courtesy to keep to the right if you're driving slowly to let others by. People chastise me for admitting to tailgating left-lane hogs, but then they have no answer as to why people sit and just "hang out" in the passing lane to begin with when they know it's rude and will inconvenience others.
You may have some problems in Pittsburgh then. Lots of elderly drivers who are never in a particular hurry to get anywhere and enjoy driving well below speed limit, regardless of which lane they happen to be in. They will even stop in the middle of a block to chat with a friend on his porch (part of that soul and character that you're pining for, no?).
Looking forward to the post-move posts....about the drivers, the potholes, the lack of street signs, the accent, the Stillers mania, the lack of dating opportunities, the depressing weather, the lack of jobs, the insular mentality, and the decided lack of interest in how a newcomer thinks everything could be improved.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:32 AM

12 posts, read 24,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
The drivers here aren't all that bad. I just wish they'd stop with the selfish "I'll crawl in whichever lane I want because it's a free country" mentality. Regardless as to whether or not it is a state law in VA to "drive right; pass left" (as it is in many states) one would think it would be common courtesy to keep to the right if you're driving slowly to let others by. People chastise me for admitting to tailgating left-lane hogs, but then they have no answer as to why people sit and just "hang out" in the passing lane to begin with when they know it's rude and will inconvenience others.
Never said they were bad... it's just that once that light turns green, for some reason if people aren't the first car, they assume they'll never make the light, panic instantly sets in, and you have the domino effect of horns behind you if you aren't instantly on the gas. Like I said though, they're all harmless - it isn't LA style road rage... I'm sure the habit was started by people reading newspapers at red lights.

But yes... left-lane hogs are like esca-lefters. At one point, maybe they were passing people out left. But they don't need to take their entire ride in the left lane... because they end up being the reason everyone suddenly jams on their brakes, as they approach their exits, 100 feet away, and suddenly decide they need to cross every single other lane instantly. I hate that too.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:08 PM

30,120 posts, read 67,233,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF81 View Post
But yes... left-lane hogs are like esca-lefters. At one point, maybe they were passing people out left. But they don't need to take their entire ride in the left lane... because they end up being the reason everyone suddenly jams on their brakes, as they approach their exits, 100 feet away, and suddenly decide they need to cross every single other lane instantly. I hate that too.
My biggest gripes are the people in the mornings who commute east from Loudoun County via Route 7 and ride the left lane the entire way until they turn left onto Lewinsville Road near McLean. Most of you are on Route 7 for 8-10 miles, if not more. Why ride the left lane the entire length? Don't say "I'm afraid to I won't be able to get into the left lane closer to my turn" either because even though I'm a very aggressive driver as soon as I see someone in an adjacent lane flip on their blinker I automatically try to adjust my speed to let that person in ahead of me. The same can be said for most others I know (who are also all aggressive drivers). There is no excuse to be hogging the left lane. If you're trying to be a "vigilante" and slow traffic down then all you're doing is making things more dangerous as the people behind you become more aggressive.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:18 PM

722 posts, read 1,753,242 times
My husband does the dawdle-in-the-left-lane thing. It drives me nuts. (Thankfully, I do about 95% of the driving in this family!)

I can only speak for him, not all people who do this, but it's not because he's a vigilante. He simply doesn't think of it. He turns into the left lane from another road and it doesn't occur to him to move over to the right. It's like, "here's a lane, dum dee dum." People sometimes do things without thinking. Unfortunately. There's not always a motive to screw the other guy.

(For the record, if I see him doing this, I tell him to move over! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia