U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:12 AM

207 posts, read 308,272 times
Yeah I know what you are saying guys about the Section 8 housing. On the flip side, so many people that look like "me" are on Section 8, so it's hard not to take those comments a little offensively. But I will admit to being super sensitive about certain things and I know you don't mean it in a bad way.

Certain elements tend to run in certain crowds, I understand. So anywhoos, The median home price in Detroit varies. 17,000 is a little closer, but remember we have high foreclosure rates and a lower tax base, less people, restructuring city government, losing industry and just many financial problems. But suburban Detroit home prices and even newer homes in the city cost way more that the amounts listed. Where I live now, only fore closed, "as is" hud homes cost less than one hundred grand. You buy it, you fix it!! LOL

By the by, many of the section 8 housing in this town (Detroit) is much nicer than some non section 8 places. Seriously, how can I get a hook up??

I get the zone permits totally. Much larger population, so you have to regulate it somehow and if people are doing what you said, then absolutely, sucks not having a decent place to park when you come home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 12:57 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,070,278 times
Heh heh... I love when people tell me I must find NoVA 'icky' (yeah, I admit, I'm sure I used that rather sophomoric term here once or twice) because it's so 'diverse.' Racially, I probably have more diversity in my little finger (I'm primarily AA and Caucasian, with a sprinkling of Jewish-Caucasian and Native American) than do quite a few NoVA suburbs.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:45 PM

660 posts, read 967,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Heh heh... I love when people tell me I must find NoVA 'icky' (yeah, I admit, I'm sure I used that rather sophomoric term here once or twice) because it's so 'diverse.' Racially, I probably have more diversity in my little finger (I'm primarily AA and Caucasian, with a sprinkling of Jewish-Caucasian and Native American) than do quite a few NoVA suburbs.
I congratulate your little finger. Unfortunately, that doesn't make Oakland County, Michigan, or St. Louis County, Missouri, more diverse than Fairfax County. Yes, there are plenty of towns in the DC area that are 85-90% white. There are just fewer of those here than in the Midwest.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:21 PM

722 posts, read 1,170,197 times
In defense of the apartment ratings sites, it's not all disgruntled folks. I've reviewed every complex I've lived in, no matter how I felt about it. Even if I loved it.

If there are repeated reports of bugs - not written by the same person, and I can usually tell if that is the case - I pay attention. Like the OP, I don't care at all if someone complains about management; usually when I take an apartment, the only interaction I have with management is signing my lease, anyway. But bugs are another story entirely.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
Unfortunately, that doesn't make Oakland County, Michigan, or St. Louis County, Missouri, more diverse than Fairfax County. Yes, there are plenty of towns in the DC area that are 85-90% white. There are just fewer of those here than in the Midwest.
Um, I'm not denying that. My point is - if racial diversity is what offends me about NoVA (it's not - just engaging in a little theoretical exercise, here), wouldn't I be offended by myself, since I'm pretty darn racially diverse?

No, I'm not Asian or non-white Hispanic, but I can assure you that the presence of neither of those racial groups offends me.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
I congratulate your little finger. Unfortunately, that doesn't make Oakland County, Michigan, or St. Louis County, Missouri, more diverse than Fairfax County. Yes, there are plenty of towns in the DC area that are 85-90% white. There are just fewer of those here than in the Midwest.
Well Stephen you are correct. Many mid-western towns are "void" of racial diversity. I mean hey, I'm in Detroit Michigan and I can probably say with all certainly that this is the "blackest" city in the state. (Yes, other races and cultures live here too, just making a statement)

But the reason that the east coast is more diverse is obviously "historical" and yes I know you know that. I guess Alicia and I just get tired of people saying certain things cause well, we are those people. I mean, I have people in my family on assistance. She needs it and is trying to get into a section 8 place. So when comments are made, well it stings, just a tad, but I also understand cause some of the people who live there can be, "not so nice"

The one good thing that anyone from "the ghetto" can say and what we do say is this, at least our demons are where we can see them. Many times in more affluent neigbhorhoods "seemy" things are happening behind closed doors and everyone is turning a blind eye, but I digress.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Um, I'm not denying that. My point is - if racial diversity is what offends me about NoVA (it's not - just engaging in a little theoretical exercise, here), wouldn't I be offended by myself, since I'm pretty darn racially diverse?

No, I'm not Asian or non-white Hispanic, but I can assure you that the presence of neither of those racial groups offends me.

Alicia!!

Old 01-07-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
In defense of the apartment ratings sites, it's not all disgruntled folks. I've reviewed every complex I've lived in, no matter how I felt about it. Even if I loved it.

If there are repeated reports of bugs - not written by the same person, and I can usually tell if that is the case - I pay attention. Like the OP, I don't care at all if someone complains about management; usually when I take an apartment, the only interaction I have with management is signing my lease, anyway. But bugs are another story entirely.
That's exactly it. The bug situations was freaking me out and it wasn't just the same person. I mean some of the complexes had a hundred or more complaints. Now in a building of say 300 apts, that's alot. And more than half the complaints were about mice and roaches, EWWWWW!! Besides, i have a dog. If I have to spray constantly, it will affect her and I don't want to get her sick or myself for that matter. I understand old buildings have these kinds of issues, but if they are maintained properly, these "pests" issues can be minimal. Like I said, the noise, normal, the management, who cares, crime, okay yep stay out of my place and out of my car and when I have something that needs repairing, maintenance better come when I call. Other than that, I'm cool.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:11 PM

660 posts, read 967,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher383940 View Post
Well Stephen you are correct. Many mid-western towns are "void" of racial diversity. I mean hey, I'm in Detroit Michigan and I can probably say with all certainly that this is the "blackest" city in the state. (Yes, other races and cultures live here too, just making a statement)

But the reason that the east coast is more diverse is obviously "historical" and yes I know you know that. I guess Alicia and I just get tired of people saying certain things cause well, we are those people. I mean, I have people in my family on assistance. She needs it and is trying to get into a section 8 place. So when comments are made, well it stings, just a tad, but I also understand cause some of the people who live there can be, "not so nice"

The one good thing that anyone from "the ghetto" can say and what we do say is this, at least our demons are where we can see them. Many times in more affluent neigbhorhoods "seemy" things are happening behind closed doors and everyone is turning a blind eye, but I digress.
I apologize for having hijacked your thread. My comment was useless for your purposes.

I just wasn't sure where Alicia's comment about her racial background and finding NoVA icky came from. It didn't seem relevant to the thread. She and I don't see eye to eye on this region or the Midwest, and I wanted to respond to her. Ultimately, however, this thread is supposed to help you decide if this area is right for you, and if so, where exactly might best fit your priorities. Alicia's and my tangent isn't going to help with that.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:12 PM

Stephen 81, I just find it ironic that C-Ders will sing the praises of diverse communities all night long, but then disparage Prince George's County (the wealthiest majority black county in the U.S.) as the third level of hell in the next breath (or next keystroke.. hehe). Yes, PG County has problems, but those same problems exist to some degree or another across all of metro D.C., including the whitest areas (I addressed this in another thread fairly recently). When "diversity" is used as an excuse for something like bed bugs, I detect an undercurrent of racism which the speaker her/himself might not even be the slightest bit conscious of - that non-whites (not, say, people who recently emigrated from Specific Country X, where [and I'm just making this up to provide an example] bed bugs are a known problem - I mean anyone, in general, who is not 'white') are more likely to be responsible for various nasties in apartment buildings than are whites.

Anyway, just had to get that off my chest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia