U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:47 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,845,710 times

Advertisements

I'm posting from my iphone in our hotel room in NYC...desperately trying to resist the urge to go down to the 8th floor bar.

If I start start "celebrating" now, I'll never see the ball drop!

Happy New Year to all of ya's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 05:35 PM

427 posts, read 972,349 times
2009 has been a banner year for us, but I'm still glad to see it come to an end. I don't mean to sound ungrateful -- we've been extraordinarily blessed -- but I think I'd like my blessings more spread out in the future:

JAN: Recovering from the holidays
FEB: Found out Baby #2 was on the way. Surprise! (Good surprise, obvs, but still...)
MAR: Mr. Husband gone for month-long business trip
APR: Start looking for new house to rent. Then learn we can actually buy instead. Surprise! (Good surprise, obvs, but still...) House hunt commences.
MAY: Bid on foreclosure. Win bidding war against many other players. Woo hoo! Pack old house.
JUN: Close on house. Move.
JUL: Out-of-town guests.
AUG: Nada. Whew! Well, except for being super pregnant.
SEP: Baby with October due date is born. Surprise! (Good surprise, obvs, but still...)
OCT: See above. Big adjustments. No sleep.
NOV: See above. Big adjustments. No sleep. Plus Thanksgiving.
DEC: See above. Big adjustments. No sleep. Plus Christmas.

My resolution for 2010 is to kick back and enjoy it at my own pace, thank you very much! Now we'll just see what our two little boys have to say about that.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:48 PM

107 posts, read 220,081 times
yeah, bah-bye 2009. it's about time you came to an end. phew! here's to 2010 and hope it is good for the rest of you!

Old 12-31-2009, 06:24 PM

254 posts, read 711,435 times
2009 is a good year for our family. Moved from TX to NoVa and we love it here!

Old 12-31-2009, 06:35 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,945,620 times
Was a great year for me and my family too! Car54, have a good time tonight! TheMommy, I wish you some extra sleep for the new year!

Old 12-31-2009, 09:09 PM

696 posts, read 1,494,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixau27 View Post
2009 is a good year for our family. Moved from TX to NoVa and we love it here!
Yeah. Glad you love it here. We are enjoying it as well, just didn't like the drama that ensued to get here!!

Old 01-01-2010, 10:45 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,359,386 times
So how has everyone's year started? We visited some friends in the area, there were barely anyone on the roads..

Old 01-01-2010, 06:48 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,756,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
So how has everyone's year started? We visited some friends in the area, there were barely anyone on the roads..
One thing I did today was order my seeds for spring! The holidays are over, time to start thinking about my garden. I did the big order today... 1,000 marigolds, 1,000 coleus, 500 begonias, and a few packets of more exotic things, too. I'll have color coming out of my ying yang. OK, so maybe I won't be planting them for awhile, but it sure feels good to place the order.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:12 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,359,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
One thing I did today was order my seeds for spring! The holidays are over, time to start thinking about my garden. I did the big order today... 1,000 marigolds, 1,000 coleus, 500 begonias, and a few packets of more exotic things, too. I'll have color coming out of my ying yang. OK, so maybe I won't be planting them for awhile, but it sure feels good to place the order.
Oh that sounds wonderful! Are you going to plant the seeds inside in early spring? If yes, when are you starting? I've been looking at seeds too.. But for veggies! I don't know what it is about NoVa weather but tomatoes seems to do really well here! And I'm hoping that by growing another gigantic zucchini plant we'll get our ugly but awfully sweet, HUGE bullfrog back. He loves to hang out with the zucchinis.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:39 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,756,240 times
Quote:
Oh that sounds wonderful! Are you going to plant the seeds inside in early spring? If yes, when are you starting?
We have a greenhouse so we start the seeds the first week of March. Generally I start them on the day I see the first daffodil in bloom. Makes it sort of a ceremony that way. I put them into the garden on Mother's Day. Another little tradition, but planting on Mother's Day is a good habit because you know by then the last threat of frost has passed.

Quote:
And I'm hoping that by growing another gigantic zucchini plant we'll get our ugly but awfully sweet, HUGE bullfrog back. He loves to hang out with the zucchinis.
LOL, maybe he thinks those zucchinis are his own little harem of female frogs. Could be your bullfrog is sweet, huge... and nearsighted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia