U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 12:42 PM

119 posts, read 316,555 times

Advertisements

My husband has two potential job opportunities being presented to him - one in Falls Church and one in Stafford. We are from out-of-state. Aside from some info gathering we did on the Fredericksburg area about a year ago when he thought he would be transferred with his current company, we don't know anything about NoVA---except that it's very expensive.

That said, which towns might offer an hour to an hour-and fifteen commute to either Falls Church or Stafford, depending which position he took? We plan on renting at first, but eventually we would like to purchase a 3- or 4-BR house with at least 1/4 acre with some mature trees, so if we can rent near the area we'd like to buy, that would be ideal. The standard safe, family-friendly neighborhood applies, of course, although we don't feel we have to live in a subdivision to be happy. We lean more to preferring country/rural settings than urban settings. We have a 5-yr-old son with special needs, so good schools are essential----although we'd be willing to consider Catholic school, if necessary. Recommendations for neighborhoods/areas that offer homes that are $400K or less with an hour-ish or less commute to the towns above? Are we asking the impossible?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 12:53 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,129,255 times
Why not live in Stafford if he took the job there? You would be able to find much more affordable housing there and from what I understand the schools are good there. Or you could live in Fredricksburg, it is not to far from Stafford.

As far as Falls Church alot depends on your rental budget, because of the close proximity to DC Falls Church is expensive housing wise.

I only wish my husband could work in Stafford, I would move there in a heartbeat. We have even considered living there when we move back even though my hubby's commute would be at least an hour if not more from there. We have been very impressed with what we have seen in Stafford.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Why not live in Stafford if he took the job there? You would be able to find much more affordable housing there and from what I understand the schools are good there. Or you could live in Fredricksburg, it is not to far from Stafford.

As far as Falls Church alot depends on your rental budget, because of the close proximity to DC Falls Church is expensive housing wise.

I only wish my husband could work in Stafford, I would move there in a heartbeat. We have even considered living there when we move back even though my hubby's commute would be at least an hour if not more from there. We have been very impressed with what we have seen in Stafford.
Are there any particular neighborhoods in Stafford you would recommend? Any that are more family-oriented than others? Some with mature trees? Are there any particular schools you've heard of that are better than others?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-07-2010, 11:39 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,756,240 times
Both Falls Church and Stafford are really nice communities. You can find great neighborhoods right in both of those areas, which is what I'd recommend. A short commute is a great thing to have.

I'm not an expert on Stafford, but FWIW here are a few things I've picked up just from reading city-data:

Stafford is growing incredibly fast because of it's pleasant, rural suburban feel combined with a relatively low cost of living. It's peaceful out there and some lots have a beautiful water view. But something to consider... the area is growing rapidly. The Stafford people are falling in love with today may be different in 10 years.

Stafford taxes are lower and they have many new buildings and parks in the area. The hospital, County Park, and Aquia Towne Center are very nice new additions. The VRE is only minutes away.

The two communities I've heard of are Aquia and Widewater. Aquia has gotten some positive reviews on this forum. One of those places that has a pseudo gate, so all visitors have to be on the list. However, there are some folks who don't love it. Apparently the traffic in the morning can be a nightmare. Snow removal has been a recent problem, too. Widewater is similar to Aquia. A few people on this forum have said it has better schools.

I hope this helps. Like I said, this is all based on what I've heard not on having actually lived there.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:44 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,756,240 times
Oh, by the way... welcome to Virginia!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Oh, by the way... welcome to Virginia!
Thank you---we're not there yet, though. The interview process is ongoing. We hope to know for certain before the end of the month. Still, we want to have an idea of the potential logistics of all of this, that's why we're asking questions now.

Does anyone know if there are any areas that might offer more cottage-type rentals as opposed to the typical apartment complex or townhome community? We will be renting at first if this offer comes through and we'd really like to stay away from all of the potential issues apartments and such can present. We rented for a long time before buying our current home and were happiest when we rented single-family homes/little cottages. Apartment/townhome living isn't for us, especially now that we have a child.

Does Occoquan offer any charming or cute rentals? I've heard it's a quaint little town, but admittedly know nothing about it (or any other town there, for that matter)? What about the Montclair/Dumfries area? How would the commute be from Montclair (or even Manassas) to the North Stafford (very close to the PWC line) be? When it comes time to buy, would Manassas be an option, considering the criteria in my first post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or