U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:28 PM

21 posts, read 72,890 times

Advertisements

I've been to Springfield Mall a couple of times, mainly because it's the only place I know of to access some of the stores there (Target, Forever 21, etc.) that's within walking distance of a metro stop. I am, however, careful to never go there (or leave there) after dark, or even when it's starting to get dark.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 11:28 AM

11,985 posts, read 17,500,137 times
Interesting thread.

Am I the only one who notes the irony of talking about how a mall, as oppossed to a neighborhood or city, has gone downhill?

The postwar order has come full circle.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:08 PM

12 posts, read 57,318 times
Well, I guess it's up to all us Brits to run them filthy "Mexicans" out here. Maybe we should all join the local Minuteman group and set up a mall patrol around the mall. Geez.

The post I quoted below is offensive and ignorant.

Yes, the mall has seen better days. And no, I would not venture around there at night. I used to work there when I was going to Annandale HS and back then (18 years ago) it seemed shady, but not as bad as today. But to generalize and say the "Hispanics" ruined it, is wrong. I know plenty of Hispanics that are great and hard-working folks and that to generalize and to blame their race for Springfield's or any other areas' decline is not right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnva View Post
I agree with the last post regarding Springfield Mall. As a high School student in Springfield I grew up at Springfield Mall. Me and my buddies spent Friday night thru Sunday hanging out at the mall and socializing. I recently went to the mall to make a purchase and was surprised to see that the Mexican's had ruined our mall. I remember how nice SM was after the 1987 remodeling was done and then when Macy's opened a few years later. It was a true asset to the area. Now with the Mexican invasion it looks like a run down slum. It's really too bad what a group of people can cause to happen in an area. Just look at the non-tourist cities in Mexico.. Dirty filthy slums.. Now if we let them, this country will resemble theirs.... Sad

Last edited by pwrl3ss; 08-01-2007 at 04:04 PM..

Old 08-01-2007, 04:17 PM

142 posts, read 518,835 times
I live in nearby Kingstowne, and my family NEVER shops at Springfield. We always go to Tysons. The only areas near the mall we go to are the two surrounding shopping centers with Staples or Barnes & Noble. I personally find the mall incredibly boring and stuck in the '80s. But I'm excited for the proposed future.

I've heard rumors that a Neiman Marcus is going to come and that Saks declined, is that true?

Old 08-28-2007, 03:41 AM

2 posts, read 8,145 times
Yes, SM has gone down the sh**ter! I used to live in the mid 90s at 22315 and SM was within a walking distance (20min) and I remember it to be a great mall always packed on weekends and the cinema was always busy...that's where I would hangout with my friends back in HS but when I went back there for the first time in 06...OMG!! It's exactly like you guys described it! It's empty with lots of shops closed and 90% of ppl are hispanics! I, too, believe it will be torn down and it should be! I just pray to God that I never see the same happen to Tysons Mall, cause that's all we got here!!! Good thing we moved to 22102!

Old 08-28-2007, 03:47 AM

2 posts, read 8,145 times
It's great that they plan to build upscale condos and hotels and such BUT I think what they should include as part of fixing the mall and the area is finding a solution for all them mexicans that have taken control of the mall!

Old 08-28-2007, 04:15 AM

23,643 posts, read 33,439,851 times
I often shop at Landmark and Springfield (mainly due to proximity) but i did have the opportunity to go to Tysons while i was working at McLean a couple of weeks ago. Tysons made me see everything that was wrong with Landmark and Springfield. If it wasnt for the whipping it put on my gas i would go to tysons and forget about landmark and springfield. the only places i think could come close to being worse to springfield would be iverson (crime, no way i'm taking my car there) or bailey's crossroads (more loaded with the bad hispanics).

Old 08-28-2007, 08:54 PM

68 posts, read 84,573 times
I remember when it opened in 1972, about the same year the Capital Centre opened in Landover. The Mexican place was Taco Bueno, later renamed Taco Laredo. There is one in Falls Church. It sucks now, and is no longer cheap. The Metro was bad for the Mall. Criminals come from Maryland. I went to Lee HS, when it was 90% white. The Vietnamese outnumbered the Blacks. The area around the HS was known as Little Saigon. Remember the small riot they had there when singer Leaf Garret appeared. How about the undercover sting in the Montgomery Wards mens restrooms? I knew some nice girls that worked at Garfinkels. I hear Fair Oaks has gone down the shiiter, and Manassas Mall is about as nasty as it gets. I own a vacation home in Chiang Mai, Thailand and there is a five story mall there (Airport Plaza) where you can actually go when it is hot as hell outside, and walk around, get some cheap food, and see hundreds of hot babes and ZERO _______. The employees actually get the F--- out of your way when you are shopping as well.

Ironically, Springfield was a lot nicer, when you could buy a house for 35K--now that it's 450K--things have gone to Hell, or at least Mexico. Salud!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:27 PM

142 posts, read 518,835 times
Uh, from what I know, Fair Oaks still has its Pottery Barn and good crowds. It's a good alternative to Tysons if you know what you need.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:59 PM

42 posts, read 260,819 times
Springfield Mall is fine, although Tysons or Pentagon City are really the places to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia