U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 03:32 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,075,944 times

Advertisements

If you think Springfield Mall is bad you should see Springfield plaza, and surrounding areas of Springfield plaza. I think after Circuit City moved that building became vacant, same for Tower records, and Shoney's, and the two restaurants just to the east of that, I think they all became vacant. Some of the other buildings near Commerce street on the other side of the I-95 didn't fair too well either for a while (where the Toys R Us was). The housing near the mall except for the apartments built in the late 90s, was never considered all that good.

When the Best Buy came in, and then the Home Depot, and Barnes and Noble and Fridays, and the Circuit City on the other side of the mall I thought it was a good thing. I still go there sometimes to visit those places, but rarely go to the mall, and if at all I find the place more and more run down all the time. The parking lots and in worse condition all the time.

Inside the mall it doesn't seem that bad, but the dead zones just seem to keep getting bigger all the time. The area near the smaller food court was mostly a dead zone when I last was there during Christmas time.

The mall is in some prime real estate if it didn't exist, a developer could do a lot with the lot. They rebuilt the Tanforan Mall in San Bruno, CA, and instantly it became a very busy, popular, good mall. I hope if they come up with a new retail area for the site that it works out well. I actually expect that would be the case, unless they come up with something bland. There is more retail coming up all the time, even around the mall, as the late 90s and early 00s showed us, but if they aim upscale they'll get a lot of money, Fairfax County does have the 2nd highest median household income in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 08:38 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,482,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I recently visited the old Springfield Mall (east of Interstate 95 in Springfield, VA). I thought I had arrived in Mexico. Almost everyone was speaking Spanish and half of the once bustling Mall was closed. Many of the shops that were left were not National Chains but run down Mom and Pop stores. I can not believe how rough and tired the shoppers were at the Mall. I understand it is now gang land territory. Different gangs have staked out different parts of the Mall as their territory.

In the next few years much of the Mall will be torn down and replaced by a huge new complex of offices, office buildings and new stores and restaurants. The Mall has gone down hill so fast, its destruction and remodeling will be a good thing.
That is truly sad: I used to hang out @ Springfield mall 30 years ago------it was truly a neat (and safe) place back then.

Note too back then; the few so-called 'Hispanics' back in the DC area were still counted as (mostly) White------we had none of that 'Vato' nonsense back there. In fact: I never heard either that word nor Cholo till I moved to Calif. in 1978

Old 08-29-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Interesting thread.

Am I the only one who notes the irony of talking about how a mall, as oppossed to a neighborhood or city, has gone downhill?

The postwar order has come full circle.
I have noticed that as well here (Phoenix area); the 1950's enclaves like 40th St/Indian School are definitely becoming desirable areas again.

Pick up a copy of Thomas Sowell's book on Race and Ethnicity; it was a real eye opener on how areas change over the years both going down and gentrifying.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
I
The mall is in some prime real estate if it didn't exist, a developer could do a lot with the lot. They rebuilt the Tanforan Mall in San Bruno, CA, and instantly it became a very busy, popular, good mall. I hope if they come up with a new retail area for the site that it works out well. I actually expect that would be the case, unless they come up with something bland. There is more retail coming up all the time, even around the mall, as the late 90s and early 00s showed us, but if they aim upscale they'll get a lot of money, Fairfax County does have the 2nd highest median household income in the country.
I remember Tanforan Mall from the late 1970's........nothing personal: I liked Serramonte Mall in Colma?, SSF? much, much better!

Ah, yes.......El Camino Real........I remember it well

And there is Alameda de las Pulgas in San Mateo--------talk about Arlington's Williamsburg Blvd's twin!

Old 08-31-2007, 10:26 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,950,481 times
Fair Oaks mall is beautiful and upscale and Manassas Mall is nice but dull. What are you talking about?

Old 09-01-2007, 05:24 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,391,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Fair Oaks mall is beautiful and upscale and Manassas Mall is nice but dull. What are you talking about?
There will always be a few threads in which those with a fetish for it meet up to discuss how rotten everything has become. Connections to reality tend to become strained in that environment...

Old 09-03-2007, 11:54 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,504,338 times
I remember as a kid during the 1990s when Springfield Mall would be the place to go as a kid to hang out w/ friends on any given Saturday, even more than Tysons at the time. There was an arcade in the mall, an active movie theater, a lot of video game stores, a Toys R Us nearby, and a wide variety of fast food places. Now, when I go to it, the place looks like gangster heaven and half of the stores I remember being there are vacant or turned into cheap dollar stores. It's sort of sad to see a place that I was fond of during my younger years turn itself into a decay of mess. I did see the Springfield Mall Redevelopment plan and it looked very impressive, but apparently it was dropped

Times Community Newspapers - KSI drops 'Midtown' proposal (broken link)

It's a real pity too. I really did want to see Springfield revitalized.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:10 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,964,161 times
My oldest daughter is 22 and when she was in 8th grade I felt safe letting her go with her friends to Springfield Mall for a few hours. Now my youngest son is in 8th grade and I would not let him go; none of his friends are allowed to go either.

Here's some encouraging news about the Mall and the surrounding area:

washingtonpost.com

Old 09-06-2007, 07:47 PM

17 posts, read 68,207 times
My husband and I live in West Springfield and we avoid SM at all costs. The only store I wll go to is Target b/c I don't have to go into the mall. My husband grew up in Springfield and always tells me how nice it use to be. I go to Tysons to shop b/c it actually has stores that sell clothes and not junk like SM. I believe stores have already started to close in SM so the hopefully they will close it down soon for the redevelopment.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,162 times
I shop at Springfield Mall (and the surrounding shops, including Springfield Plaza--Buy buy Baby, Trader Joes, Petsmart, Best Buy, Home Depot, Barnes and Noble, and the list goes on) a lot. The Target is big and convenient, the children's shops (Gymboree, Children's Place, Baby Gap) are great. Granted, its run down, (although when i was there a few weeks ago it seemed to be improving. And sure, its great to have big national and regional stores, but I think economically its a WONDERFUL thing that there are also mom and pops and stores that serve the specific communities in the area. That said I can't wait for Springfield Mall to be revamped--because it truly needs a lot of work and it would be nice to feel more secure there after dark. But more importantly, the whole area really needs some economic development.

I am, however completely APPALLED at the level of bigotry, racism and ignorance evinced by most of these posters. Yes, there are a lot of Latino families in the area,and in the mall including teenagers, a MINORITY of which are involved in gangs--and by the way--most Latinos in Fairfax are NOT MEXICAN--they are Central American, mostly from El Salvador, and they are here because the US Government incited and funded a civil war that destroyed their country, decimated their population and left hundreds of thousands of widows and orphans.

In any case, as is pretty clear from the posts--the issue is poverty and lack of opportunity, and that is cyclical--so in the 70's it was poor whites, now it's poor Salvadorans. Notice what they have in common?

In any case, the latest I've heard on the redevelopment is NOT that it's going to be razed and rebuilt, but it will be gutted in stages. Big relief for me since I don't think I could survive without the Target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia