U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:59 AM

87 posts, read 98,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnva View Post
I agree with the last post regarding Springfield Mall. As a high School student in Springfield I grew up at Springfield Mall. Me and my buddies spent Friday night thru Sunday hanging out at the mall and socializing. I recently went to the mall to make a purchase and was surprised to see that the Mexican's had ruined our mall. I remember how nice SM was after the 1987 remodeling was done and then when Macy's opened a few years later. It was a true asset to the area. Now with the Mexican invasion it looks like a run down slum. It's really too bad what a group of people can cause to happen in an area. Just look at the non-tourist cities in Mexico.. Dirty filthy slums.. Now if we let them, this country will resemble theirs.... Sad
Hmm. "Me and my buddies" (incorrect order); "Mexican's" (incorrect plural). How did you know they were Mexican? Aid you ask them? Had they "invaded" (your words), or were they tax-paying U. S. citizens? You don't know, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 11:55 AM

621 posts, read 2,927,224 times
I just have to add something since there has been so much talk about "Mexicans". Anytime any of you go out to eat at a restaurant 95% of the cooks, bussers and dishwashers are illegal.
I worked at Mac Grill in Kingstowne for 4 years and the Olive Garden in Manassas for 4 years as well. Most of the kitchen staff is illegal. I thought they wouldn't be able to get jobs like that, but they all have fake papers. I asked the managers about this one day. He said it isn't our job to police the "fake papers" and that we aren't INS. I have seen numerous fake SS cards and such and they all look ridiculously fake. I became friends with one of the cooks who was illegal. Now I don't condone (sp?) this, but it was interesting to hear that our gov't is not doing anything. He has a fake ss card and every year around W-2 time, the Dept of Labor sends him a paper saying that his ss number is not good and to provide them with the correct one. Well he's been working there for 3 years and get's one every year and doesn't change it. They just let it go. We had an illegal busser who was arrested TWICE for DUI and both times didn't have a license and they locked him up for the night, let him go, and then fined him. Didn't even question that he was illegal.
I just don't understand how the gov't and local governments are all up in arms about the illegals, but yet they do nothing. Atleast the ones that work at the restaurant are paying taxes.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,321 times
i actually just came back from shopping there, lol. I usually go to the Macy's men's store to buy clothes because they have really great sales all the time there. I bought a brand name sweater and pair of jeans both for 50% off.

If i plan on buying anything else i know exactly where im going to get it, so i don't spend much time meandering the hallways. I come in, get what i need and go out.

I also grew up with Springfield mall in the mid to late 90s while in high school. It was definitely the place to be during that time. The place was always packed. I go there now and its like a ghost town, but it kind of serves my needs if i don't want to be bothered by crowds of people.

I'm very excited about the revamp and remodeling of the mall. If they get a few more higher echelon, more customer attractive stores inside the mall; it should improve the quantity and quality of clientele that frequent the mall. I go to Tysons if i need to do any major shopping but sometimes that place can be a bit overwhelming, same with Pentagon City.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:34 AM

494 posts, read 1,582,192 times
When I lived in NOVA in the early 80s, Springfield mall was the upscale place for us. (maybe we didn't get out much). I've got a couple of memories there... one was when I drove there to buy a surprise gift for my girlfriend (now my wife). I come walking out of the store having bought it and almost walk right into her (amazing timing since we rarely went to the mall since it wasn't close to our house). She pretended like she didn't see me, but I found out years later that she did. The other memory was that there was a store in there called "Needle in a Haystack" that sold nothing but needles for turntables (showing my age on that one). A friend of mine moonlighted in there and talked me into buying a $75 needle for my $100 turntable. (for you young whipper snappers, a turntable is what we used to use to listen to records... those things that were around before CDs were invented)

I am now in NY and there was one big mall here that was starting to seem like it might go the "gang" direction and so the mall management cracked down hard. At night, no one is allowed in the mall under 18 unless they are accompanied by an adult, and they check IDs at the door. They also have some rule about groups or something too. But, come to think of it... I've been in there on weekends and seen quite a few ghetto looking groups of people walking around that I'm sure are scaring off a lot of shoppers. I guess as long as they have one guy in the group that's over 21, then they are all set.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:35 PM

407 posts, read 2,088,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I recently visited the old Springfield Mall (east of Interstate 95 in Springfield, VA). I thought I had arrived in Mexico. Almost everyone was speaking Spanish and half of the once bustling Mall was closed. Many of the shops that were left were not National Chains but run down Mom and Pop stores. I can not believe how rough and tired the shoppers were at the Mall. I understand it is now gang land territory. Different gangs have staked out different parts of the Mall as their territory.

In the next few years much of the Mall will be torn down and replaced by a huge new complex of offices, office buildings and new stores and restaurants. The Mall has gone down hill so fast, its destruction and remodeling will be a good thing.
Damn!! I stopped shopping at that cesspool back in '97 because it was getting bad then. It would be nice to see Springfield torn down and rebuilt into some more useful and gangbanger territory!!

Old 03-08-2008, 05:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,095 times
Lightbulb A Mall is A Mall

I just stumbled upon this forum discussion regarding Springfield Mall and find it pretty sad. A mall is somewhere I go when I need something. I could care less whether my fellow shoppers are from McLean, from El Salvador, or from Mars. I find all malls nothing but a collection of stores and the thought that anyone has to depend on a mall for his or her social life is pretty depressing. Go in, get your stuff, and get out. When I do need to go to a mall (I do most of my shopping online or at independent stores which are rarely stuck in a mall) I use Springfield, Potomac Mills, or Tysons as they are the closest. To me, they are just malls and I go there only because I need something from a particular store, normally around Christmas. Springfield Mall is arguably the most run down, but then I am never there long enough to worry about it. My advice to those those using this post to vent their dislike of hispanics is consider moving to Iceland. I would remind those whose principal achievement in life seems to be that they now shop at Tysons rather than Springfield...it's just a mall. Take a walk, volunteer, read a book...shopping is not an achievement: just a necessity that, like going to the bathroom, is best done quickly and with a minimum of noise.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:36 AM

2 posts, read 6,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puterman View Post
I just stumbled upon this forum discussion regarding Springfield Mall and find it pretty sad. A mall is somewhere I go when I need something. I could care less whether my fellow shoppers are from McLean, from El Salvador, or from Mars. I find all malls nothing but a collection of stores and the thought that anyone has to depend on a mall for his or her social life is pretty depressing. Go in, get your stuff, and get out. When I do need to go to a mall (I do most of my shopping online or at independent stores which are rarely stuck in a mall) I use Springfield, Potomac Mills, or Tysons as they are the closest. To me, they are just malls and I go there only because I need something from a particular store, normally around Christmas. Springfield Mall is arguably the most run down, but then I am never there long enough to worry about it. My advice to those those using this post to vent their dislike of hispanics is consider moving to Iceland. I would remind those whose principal achievement in life seems to be that they now shop at Tysons rather than Springfield...it's just a mall. Take a walk, volunteer, read a book...shopping is not an achievement: just a necessity that, like going to the bathroom, is best done quickly and with a minimum of noise.
Word up
Word.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:06 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,826,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puterman View Post
I would remind those whose principal achievement in life seems to be that they now shop at Tysons rather than Springfield...it's just a mall. Take a walk, volunteer, read a book...shopping is not an achievement: just a necessity that, like going to the bathroom, is best done quickly and with a minimum of noise.
I liked your point (which was to not be concerned about the race of other people in a mall) but I did want to comment on the idea that malls are for shopping, only. I liked your joke about the bathrooms (that oughta be a fortune cookie) and I'm not disagreeing with you--malls are not for everyone and if they don't make you comfortable you shouldn't spend time in one. But I did want to point out that for many people a mall is a neighborhood gathering place, not just a collection of stores.

My favorite mall in Virginia is Dulles Town Center. On a Sunday morning, before the stores even open up, it becomes a neighborhood center. People buy the paper and watch the world go by from the comfy couches outside Nordstrom (or in the food court). I've even met people for quick interviews there--the mall in the morning is a peaceful place, just perfect for a mini meeting. Meeting people at a coffee shop can be frantic (someone always wants your table) but the couches at the mall are available and comfortable. People stop to visit with their neighbors while they take their kids to the play center on the second floor, or for a ride on the train. And parents really appreciate it when the weather isn't great for kids to play outside.

I was part of a seniors group that walked the mall every day--I walk outside in the spring, but in the winter I wouldn't get much exercise if it wasn't for the mall. And, I like meeting my walking friends there. Many times I've gone to health fairs and gotten my blood pressure checked. If you're an autograpoh hound, the sports store has events with celebrities from the local teams. They have parties, and fireworks, and in the fall the Big Apple Circus opens up in the parking lot.

People complain that the suburbs don't have town centers where you see your neighbors. Dulles Town Center always served that purpose for me. I guess that's my point--if you just run in and out to buy something at a store you're missing out on a nice resource. I wasn't one to hang out in the malls as a teenager, but as a senior citizen the mall is a neighborhood gathering place that works.

Last edited by normie; 03-10-2008 at 03:15 PM..

Old 03-11-2008, 07:51 AM

407 posts, read 2,088,876 times
DTC is a decent mall...in terms of thier variety of stores. I do however, think it's a nice, safe, clean family oriented shopping mall...which is very nice. I have shopped there on a handful of occasions in the past.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:42 AM

1,353 posts, read 3,204,983 times
No, its all in your head. There might be many hispanics in Sprinfield Mall, but there is nothing "run down" or "slummy" about it. Its not dirty, its not plagued with graffitti. Its just your average, run-of-the-mill suburban mall whose glory days were the 1980s.

If you don't like it, then don't go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia