U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 11:11 AM

30 posts, read 73,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
No, its all in your head. There might be many hispanics in Sprinfield Mall, but there is nothing "run down" or "slummy" about it. Its not dirty, its not plagued with graffitti. Its just your average, run-of-the-mill suburban mall whose glory days were the 1980s.

If you don't like it, then don't go.
Ditto! I agree, I have lived in this aria my whole life and I remember the malls hayday in the 1980's and I admit the mall is not as up-to-date and bright as it used to be but malls are for shopping and as long as I just go-in and go-out then the mall dose not bother me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 07:57 AM

83 posts, read 388,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That is truly sad: I used to hang out @ Springfield mall 30 years ago------it was truly a neat (and safe) place back then.

Note too back then; the few so-called 'Hispanics' back in the DC area were still counted as (mostly) White------we had none of that 'Vato' nonsense back there. In fact: I never heard either that word nor Cholo till I moved to Calif. in 1978
I know what you mean, I too have lived in VA and CA. The Hispanics in Virginia are mostly from south of Mexico and are more educated than California's mostly Mexican Hispanic population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puterman View Post
I just stumbled upon this forum discussion regarding Springfield Mall and find it pretty sad. A mall is somewhere I go when I need something. I could care less whether my fellow shoppers are from McLean, from El Salvador, or from Mars. I find all malls nothing but a collection of stores and the thought that anyone has to depend on a mall for his or her social life is pretty depressing. Go in, get your stuff, and get out. When I do need to go to a mall (I do most of my shopping online or at independent stores which are rarely stuck in a mall) I use Springfield, Potomac Mills, or Tysons as they are the closest. To me, they are just malls and I go there only because I need something from a particular store, normally around Christmas. Springfield Mall is arguably the most run down, but then I am never there long enough to worry about it. My advice to those those using this post to vent their dislike of hispanics is consider moving to Iceland. I would remind those whose principal achievement in life seems to be that they now shop at Tysons rather than Springfield...it's just a mall. Take a walk, volunteer, read a book...shopping is not an achievement: just a necessity that, like going to the bathroom, is best done quickly and with a minimum of noise.
Your American-ness is showing. Socializing is one of the main things people can do at a mall here on planet Earth - sometimes even in the U.S.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:07 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,258,759 times
I just shopped there today and had a fine experience, although I didn't hit ALL the stores - where else can you get Macy's, Target, Penney's, DMV - as well as all the other stores?

Old 03-15-2008, 05:18 AM

846 posts, read 3,061,331 times
Wow, there's a DMV at Springfield Mall? And a choo-choo (toot toot) at some mall around Dulles? Wow.

That Dulles mall must be new. I've never heard of it (new as in within the last decade and a half).

Old 06-12-2008, 08:42 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,559,257 times
I worked as a busboy at York steakhouse in Springfield mall 20 years ago when I was a teenager. It was a very nice upscale mall back then unlike now with all the gangbangers and other assorted lowlives that populate it. Back then there were cool stores like Oak Tree and Chess King and not just one, but two, count 'em two, Time Out arcades

Old 06-15-2008, 11:59 AM

6 posts, read 57,799 times
Since moving to the area in 2000, I have never thought much of Springfield mall. When I recently shopped with my daughters, there were guys just hanging around and as we passed them, they were literally looking up and down my girls. It made me angry and it made them very uncomfortable. Looking at a girl is one thing, but these guys were like dogs in heat! I for one am really looking forward to the revitalization of Springfield mall and it's surrounding area. I am hopeful that it will better the area and maybe bring in a better class of people.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:41 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,127,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyjam View Post
Since moving to the area in 2000, I have never thought much of Springfield mall. When I recently shopped with my daughters, there were guys just hanging around and as we passed them, they were literally looking up and down my girls. It made me angry and it made them very uncomfortable. Looking at a girl is one thing, but these guys were like dogs in heat! I for one am really looking forward to the revitalization of Springfield mall and it's surrounding area. I am hopeful that it will better the area and maybe bring in a better class of people.

This sort of thing has been happening at Springfield Mall for a while now. I rarely shop there anymore. I've been going to Tysons or Fair Oaks, instead.

I'm also looking forward to the long overdue and much needed revitalization of the Springfield Mall area.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:50 AM

8 posts, read 29,705 times
I only go to the Target or the Macy's at Springfield Mall -- I hardly venture into the middle of the mall anymore. Usually I'll just go to Pentagon City or Tysons instead.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:37 PM

51 posts, read 75,029 times
Default so much has changed

i am only 18, but i lived around here my whole life and i can remember before the advent of kingstowne and tysons, springfield was the place to be. i just went back about a month ago after years of shopping at fair oaks and almost half of all the space is closed down and boarded up shops. i can remember nights when the garages were full and the mall was filled with people. now, everyone is just waiting until it is either torn down or renovated and it is hard to feel safe there. it is pretty sad. its almost like a man who used to be a fun young guy but now is old and about to die. R.I.P. sm

Old 10-30-2008, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,406 times
Springfield Mall will now become the new Springfield Town Center. Construction begins Spring 2009!! Check it out:

Springfield Town Center | Springfield Mall is being transformed into a destination town center. (http://www.springfieldtowncenter.com/index.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia