U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:56 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,950,700 times

Advertisements

They've been letting a lot of leases expire so they can do the inside work, and that means fewer customers for the stores that are still open. I've seen the plans and eventually it will be a real draw again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:36 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,544,518 times
I have to admit I miss the old mall, not the mall as it is now, the mall that I remember when I worked there as a teenager back in the mid 80s. Those were good times.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,766 times
I too really miss the Springfield Mall of the 1980's. It had Time Out 1 (ARCADE, nothing better than this in the 80's) downstairs and Time Out 2 upstairs. Time Out 1 even had at one point a small cheap roller coaster ride. It was like one you would see at Chuck E. Cheese today, but still fun. They had another ride that was a spinner type ride too. They had the Roy Rogers, Orange Julius (Son of O'Joy was my favorite dessert which was orange and vanilla) and two pizza joints that were really awesome, one was a snack vendor and the other a take out or eat in restaurant that closed due to them selling drugs. There was a really cool record store (forgot the name), and I too went to Farrel's ice cream as a kid (was AWESOME and they had that 'Old Time' feel to it). There was that Ninja store with concert T-shirts, weapons and other cool stuff for sale (FUN). WAAAAY back when, they also had a gun store in Springfield Mall which I went to with my Dad, but the *******s got rid of it. They had a movie theater there too, an AMC I believe, and of all the things they got rid of that too. It was a dimly lit mall with lots of neon signs and was just so cool. One store had floor tiles in an area that were not flat, it was so cool. The tiles were in a pattern that diveted down at angles. I loved how they had that small store in between stair cases like it was floating there. I think they got rid of it before the 90's. I left the area in the early 90's. The mall got more lighting and started to look like I went to another country by 1990. Really went into the toilet...IMO

Old 06-24-2010, 08:39 PM

15,894 posts, read 36,023,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I recently visited the old Springfield Mall (east of Interstate 95 in Springfield, VA). I thought I had arrived in Mexico. Almost everyone was speaking Spanish and half of the once bustling Mall was closed. Many of the shops that were left were not National Chains but run down Mom and Pop stores. I can not believe how rough and tired the shoppers were at the Mall. I understand it is now gang land territory. Different gangs have staked out different parts of the Mall as their territory.

In the next few years much of the Mall will be torn down and replaced by a huge new complex of offices, office buildings and new stores and restaurants. The Mall has gone down hill so fast, its destruction and remodeling will be a good thing.
This is intereting thread.

Demographically, I noticed Springfield is also nearly 20% Asian...

I'm a bit curious if they had any presense as well...or if mostly Latino/Mexican?

My wife is Asian, and I'm a bit interested in Asian areas in NOVA in general...

Also, a bit interesting about the Springfield Mall...interesting that this thread speaks of it not being so good, etc.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:50 PM

11,358 posts, read 20,150,912 times
It's a shame what has happened to it (as well as Landmark Mall) - both have good, prime locations.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:30 PM

473 posts, read 986,312 times
I don't know about Latino gangs "staking out" each corner of the mall. I was there and sure there were some spanish speakers, but also some asians and white ppl too. Nothing where I feared for my life. I think the JCPenney is the closest one to those in the Alexandria/Arlington area; so that's a definite anchor. The Target is an anchor, too. The food court has a nice mix of chains (arby's, popeye's and taco bell) and mom and pop food places if you want to "stick it to the man."

Old 06-25-2010, 11:51 PM

3,155 posts, read 8,094,760 times
I'm a fan of the food court. Sarku Japan is my favorite chain for Asian fast food. Judging from the lines, I think they do better business than most of the stores in the mall! Springfield Mall also has the closest DQ and S'barro's to me.

And I do visit that Target quite a bit, but it frustrates me, because it seems like it has the worst selection of any of the area Targets. The Target at Skyline is much bigger.

I was a bit sad when the Sports Authority closed a year or two back. Now the closest sporting goods store to me is the Dick's in Bailey's Crossroads.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Demographically, I noticed Springfield is also nearly 20% Asian...

I'm a bit curious if they had any presense as well...or if mostly Latino/Mexican?
There definitely are Asians at the mall (adults and groups of teens*), as well as white people. No race/nationality is a majority, but I would say it's more Latino than anything else. Not Mexican though- there are very few Mexicans in the area. Most Latinos here are Salvadoran.

* Except that I think if you're a group of Korean teens, there's a rule that you have to hang out at Shilla bakery.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:04 AM

67 posts, read 158,288 times
Y'all are seriously depressing me. We are moving back to the area in August and now I'm guessing that I will have to drive quite a ways to do any shopping. At least I'll have the option of the Target in Burke but that one doesn't have all those lovely bookstores nearby. Can anyone expand on this thread to the retail surrounding the mall? Has it too drastically changed.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:25 AM

The retail around the mall is totally the same. Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, Borders, Staples, Home Depot, etc. have not gone downhill at all.

Honestly Springfield Target isn't that bad- I still go to it most of the time. Just some stuff I can't find there and end up going to Bailey's Crossroads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia