U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:44 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,118,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
Another parent's perspective:

Directly due to the pressure of an impending ABA/VB charter school sponsored by (POAC, a parent group), FCPS made significant improvements in the autism programs a few years ago. In the space of a year FCPS pulled a complete reversal and switched from testifying in due process hearings that ABA produces robots to declaring itself thoroughly and solidly based in ABA/VB. Classroom staffing ratios improved and some good quality ABA/VB training and support is in fact now available from a core group of FCPS central staff. However, the chief thing to remember about the autism programs in FCPS is that they are highly de-centralized. Each school is different and is run by the principal. Principals, not ABA/VB experts, hire and evaluate teachers and IAs. Where the rubber meets the road the quality of each classroom varies widely - school-by-school and teacher-by-teacher. There is no effective quality control of any kind, other than the familiar old standby - parent complaints.

You are so right and I am so glad that you are telling everyone how things work in FCPS. Each school is its own little fiefdom controlled by the principal. He or She has tremendous control over their fiefdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 01:26 PM

15 posts, read 31,025 times
My family and I are planning a move to Fairfax County this spring/summer. I have a 4 year old with moderate autism. It sounds like which school or pyramid you are in greatly effects how your child's program is implemented. So.... which schools seem to be doing a good job under the right leadership? We have sort of been looking at Fairfax Station (Sangster seems to have an autism program) and Vienna (none of the schools we keep looking at seem to have the program). Can anyone give any feedback specific to these areas, or really anywhere in the county that seems to be doing the right thing. We could also consider Montgomery County in MD, though DH will be working in Alexandria and the commute would be brutal. I would so appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,697 times
If you are interested in moving to the fairfax area, look into Ivymout School www.ivymount.org in Montgomery County, Maryland. Also a nonprofit, private school that accepts students from maryland, dc and virginia. They offer a functional life skills and graded/diploma program and have a variety of programs depending on the severity of autism.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:24 PM

845 posts, read 2,067,450 times
But, I've seen the MoCo busses taking students to The Phillips Programs in Annandale.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,819 times
Thanks for some good info. We too are looking at schools in the area. My question is- No matter which county or district you live in, will they transport your special needs child to another for a better program? We currently live in upstate NY and it works that way. Getting your child to the best classroom. I have a 10yr old, mostly non-verbal child requiring all services to the max. He is in a current ABA classroom with OT and SP in/out all day. Trying to narrow down a good location for schools and homes for sale. I also have a very academic 12 yr old which I need to find a good middle then HS. Any info is appreciated.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,302 times
Default Autism school

Hi,

We are moving to Northern VA in few months, don't know which part, may be Springfield, Annandale or falls Church. I have a 7-yr-old autistic son who is nonverbal. I would appreciate if someone can tell me which school in the above locations is good for autism services-aba etc.

Thanks,

AH

Old 07-24-2012, 06:28 PM

214 posts, read 425,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afiah View Post
Hi,

We are moving to Northern VA in few months, don't know which part, may be Springfield, Annandale or falls Church. I have a 7-yr-old autistic son who is nonverbal. I would appreciate if someone can tell me which school in the above locations is good for autism services-aba etc.

Thanks,

AH
There is a yahoo group for Fairfax County parents of autism. I would cross post this question on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or