U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:04 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,849,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
SAIC is a large company that for years and years has had a large presence in this area - as most defense companies do. It just shows a total misunderstanding about SAIC and the defense industry as a whole, if someone (not you) thinks all of the sudden they just popped up here. Where their headquarters are is irrelevant. Defense companies have headquarters in many different parts of the country, but that doesn't stop them from having huge numbers of jobs in this area.
I totally agree. Silly, indeed, to think we somehow "stole" SAIC from San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:14 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,051,686 times
I had hoped that we might keep a "resolution" of sorts to treat each other with more kindness and respect. Unfortunately, that seems to have been broken with some of the posts in this thread.

Giving public or private approval to posts by a "new" member deriding an established member is not cool.

The thoughtful and friendly tongue-in-cheek responses in this thread are appreciated.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:06 AM

257 posts, read 498,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
As more and more 20-somethings move here and get apartments near their jobs in the Dulles Tech Corridor, I predict a boom in dance clubs, music clubs, comedy and magic clubs, and other such entertainment in the nearby burbs. And Reston will get its first gay bar.
I actually welcome all of that. For the techies, it would be nice to not have to choose between living near jobs or living near "fun."

Old 01-04-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
I actually welcome all of that. For the techies, it would be nice to not have to choose between living near jobs or living near "fun."
I'd welcome it too. And I'm not even a techie!

I'll further this prediction one step and say a lot of these dance clubs, etc. will be put in former big bix stores that are now vacant. Like the old Linens Etc. near Cascades Parkway and Rt. 7. That would be a great spot for a little night club.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,789,718 times
I predict no more heavy snowfalls! (Hey, a gal can wish, can't she?)

Old 01-08-2010, 06:51 AM

372 posts, read 1,011,015 times
I predict normie will have the record for most threads posted annually.
However, regarding quality, they seem to be declining.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,789,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_monk View Post
I predict normie will have the record for most threads posted annually.
However, regarding quality, they seem to be declining.
Awww, what a mean thing to say. Sorry you don't like the quality, but it's free entertainment, you get what you pay for! As for the quantity, I'm on forced bed rest, that's why I post so much. It's healthier than watching soap operas.

Actually, I'll fess up to something.... some of my posts are re-runs (especially if a thread is beating a dead horse). So if some of them seem just a slight bit off kilter, that may account for it.

I have a little game I've been playing lately. When people insist on kicking around the same old tired topic, I just go back to the previous thread, and cut and paste the replies I made before. The game for me is to see how closely my cut and paste will fit into the newest thread. The HOAs thread is a perfect example--I thought it was hilarious that my cut and paste posts from earlier threads fit right in.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:16 PM

LOL it looks like maybe half our predictions from last year came true. No Sonic in Reston, however. (Rats!) I'm not sure if Reston got it's first gay bar, either. The Redskins, as predicted, had a horrible year. There weren't a slew of reality tv show filmed here, but we made it onto the nightly news a few time.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:55 PM

8,775 posts, read 10,683,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
This is something I wish the Washington Post would report when they cover people who allegedly aren't getting enough public assistance. You'll see in the photos that people are watching a cable show but the Post reporter never asks how much they're paying for the cable while complaining that they don't have enough money. Recently they wrote some kind of sympathy story and the picture showed the woman with cigarettes and a nice cell phone.
linkie?

was it someone on long term public assistance, or someone recently UE. They may have the cell phone from before.

And lord knows poor folks have smoked cigs for a long time.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:00 PM

8,775 posts, read 10,683,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Now it's even getting colder in my house, with the furnace running all the time!

Must be that global warming stuff that Al Gore and Michael Moore warned us about. Sure wish it would hurry up an actually happen!
As of November, 2010 was looking to be the hottest year on record. Globally. I don't know if December has changed that, but I doubt it.

I expect 2011 will be hotter. And we won't be too happy about it, especially during the summer months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia