Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 07:03 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times

Advertisements

My mother in law will be visiting from CT (outside NYC) in January and she wants to come by train. I'm in Round Hill, way out in Western Loudoun, and I'm trying to determine which station she should come into. She's older and not city savvy anymore so I don't want her changing trains or taking the MARC train this time around at least, until she gets more familiar. So here are my options, which would be best to get to from Western Loudoun, considering traffic and ease of parking etc. This would be either on a Friday afternoon or a Saturday.

-Union Station, DC
-Alexandria, VA
-Baltimore, MD

or any other options? I'm leaning towards Baltimore since while it'll be a long trip for me, at least she'll have a shorter train ride and I'm worried about the traffic at the two other options...
thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 07:26 AM

660 posts, read 1,704,676 times
A limited number of trains stop in Manassas after leaving DC, either heading west or southwest. If your MIL is able to take one of those, it would reduce the amount of time/stress needed to pick her up.

If Manassas isn't an option, and she's going to arrive on a Friday, I would agree with your idea to pick her up in Baltimore. It's about 25 miles further from you than Alexandria or DC, but I can tell you that you are likely to hit traffic heading to those places from Round Hill in the afternoon, let alone the return trip. I don't think 70E will cause you any problems at all in comparison. On a Saturday, though, I would advise DC or Alexandria (Alexandria may be slightly further but is more highway-accessible), as there's no reason to drive an extra fifty miles round-trip.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:28 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
I would say that Alexandria's station, behind the King St. Metro station, would be easy enough to find free(?) parking on a weekend. The only thing to be concerned about is that there aren't as many trains stopping there as in Washington Union Station. But it would be certainly more convenient to not have to cross the Potomac.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:01 AM

577 posts, read 2,059,879 times
One option would be for you to drive to the West Falls Church metro station and park in the parking garage. Then you can take Metro to Union Station and pick up your mom. She'll be on trains longer but you'll be with her for the changing part.

The "best" option may depend on what time she arrives. If it's during rush hour you may not want to be going into DC. But if it's in the early afternoon or on a Saturday traffic on the roads and Metro will be lighter.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:12 AM

84 posts, read 287,705 times
Pick her up at New Callolton.. AMTRAK, MARC & METRO all stop there.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:58 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post
One option would be for you to drive to the West Falls Church metro station and park in the parking garage. Then you can take Metro to Union Station and pick up your mom. She'll be on trains longer but you'll be with her for the changing part.

The "best" option may depend on what time she arrives. If it's during rush hour you may not want to be going into DC. But if it's in the early afternoon or on a Saturday traffic on the roads and Metro will be lighter.
The best part of this plan is that once she sees how to transfer from Amtrak to Metro she may be able to do this herself on her next visit.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:10 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,377,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
My mother in law will be visiting from CT (outside NYC) in January and she wants to come by train. I'm in Round Hill, way out in Western Loudoun, and I'm trying to determine which station she should come into. She's older and not city savvy anymore so I don't want her changing trains or taking the MARC train this time around at least, until she gets more familiar. So here are my options, which would be best to get to from Western Loudoun, considering traffic and ease of parking etc. This would be either on a Friday afternoon or a Saturday.

-Union Station, DC
-Alexandria, VA
-Baltimore, MD

or any other options? I'm leaning towards Baltimore since while it'll be a long trip for me, at least she'll have a shorter train ride and I'm worried about the traffic at the two other options...
thoughts?

My daughter takes the train in from NYC all the time -- so I am familiar. If it is EARLY Friday afternoon or Saturday -- I would take the Greenway East to the Dulles Toll Road East to Route 66 EAST -- takes you right across the Teddy Roosevelt Bridge to Constitution Ave and make a left on Louisiana Ave and Union Station is in front of you. Reverse that going home -- you will qualifiy for HOV lanes with two people in the car on Friday. Getting off at Union Station is very easy and you can pull up RIGHT out front with little stress to her. If she is taking the train -- the Amtrak Acela is extra nice -- makes it in under 3 hours from NYC -- tell her to get in the second car -- that is the "quiet" car -- no loud talking or cell phones. We love to use that car -- it is some much more peaceful.

The suggestion to park at West Falls Church is also a very good option -- you could take the trian in and meet her. Only problem is you have to change at Metro Center to the red line north towards Glenmont -- no big deal but it does involve another step. Also if she has a lot of luggage the metro can be a hassle on Friday.

Good Luck!

Old 12-26-2009, 12:47 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Amtrak also makes stops in Culpeper, so that's the closest option without having to change trains. IIRC, the Cardinal and Crescent routes make this stop, and I think that the regular Northeast Regional #145 does as well. If your MIL is traveling from Penn Station, she can catch the Cardinal or Crescent, though the Cardinal does not run every day. If she's coming from a station in CT, she will want to be on the Northeast Regional #145 train, and can book straight through to Culpeper.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-30-2009, 09:45 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times
ok she's coming over MLK day weekend, coming down on Saturday afternoon and back on Monday afternoon. Am I correct in assuming that because it's a holiday that Monday, my best bet is to do DC and drive in?

Old 12-30-2009, 10:10 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Assuming traffic is as light then as it has been this week, a run to DC would be convenient enough. If your mother leaves relatively early in the day (by noon?), you might avoid the returning holiday traffic coming back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia