Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 04:17 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,086,767 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear feedback on Cox cable, direct TV and Dish network. Any particularly one highly recommended or not? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 04:47 PM

267 posts, read 1,670,122 times
I'm in Loudoun, but we use Direct TV. Satellite is more an issue of where you're living and the height of other buildings and trees around you. I know people who have chopped the tops of trees out or put up 8 foot poles on their roof so the satellite dish can receive a signal. I find satellite tv cost less than the equivalent cable. But, each has their pros and cons.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:14 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,366,503 times
I've used Cox for a long time. We have two cable drops, one of which also carries the internet. It's a tad expensive I guess, but the service is pretty reliable, and the choices are good. Not a lot to complain about, which may be about as good as it gets in this industry...

Old 05-22-2007, 10:25 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,904,389 times
I had Directtv for years and it was very decent. It barely went out, even during most thunderstorms. The only reason why I switched to Dish Network was because of the option of more channels for a slightly similar price with direct. But whatever you do, don't do Comcast!!! Its the stereotypical example of a cable monopoly that has declining service for increasing prices.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:25 AM

26,677 posts, read 41,509,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I had Directtv for years and it was very decent. It barely went out, even during most thunderstorms. The only reason why I switched to Dish Network was because of the option of more channels for a slightly similar price with direct. But whatever you do, don't do Comcast!!! Its the stereotypical example of a cable monopoly that has declining service for increasing prices.
comcast is in arlington and city of alexandria, not fairfax county. Don't do comcast. i'm basically stuck with them b/c the direction my building faces. cox is alright, but i've always liked directv better. had cox back in Hampton decent experience. directv came right back on after hurricane isabel (when power came on of course). cox took a little while to get back on.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:47 AM

989 posts, read 2,842,945 times
Comcast took over for Adelphia here in Loudoun-then promptly proceeded to jack the prices. My first choice is always Dish Network-I can't get it due to trees, so we have DirectTV, which is great except for during big storms.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:32 PM

566 posts, read 2,975,090 times
I have had DirecTV for almost 6 years and can't say enough good things about it. My neighbor (he has comcast) is always having problems with the reception or sound and comcast wont do anything about it. Plus, if you are a football fan, there is nothing better than NFL Sunday Ticket.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:03 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,838,591 times
mdcrim...
I pay less for comcast than I did for adelphia! I got them to give me an intro rate for a year (instead of 3mo) 29.95 for cable (extended basic...no hbo etc..)and 27.95 for high speed internet. with taxes my bill is 60.26 per month!
I was paying 45.00 for cable with adelphia and 39.99 for internet with them!

Be careful with Dish network...the prices sounded good but I had to sign a 3 year contract with them or be charged aprox$150.00 if I broke service before then.

My advice get quotes from all your providers then call them and see if they will "outbid" the other. That's what i did and comcast met the price of Dish and lowered my internet fee.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:30 PM

267 posts, read 1,670,122 times
Cable or satellite you can lose service during big storms. Where do you think cable gets their product from? They use satellite dishes to get the programming and then send it out via cable. The difference I've found is cable can go out for hours after a storm, but satellite alone tends to only be out during and right before the heaviest rain/snow/sleet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia