U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:37 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,400,674 times

Advertisements

Suffice it to say, OP, that middle-class-to-'wealthy' D.C. suburbs have a very different feel from the middle-class-to-'wealthy' Chicago suburbs. (You guys - JEB77 and robbobobbo - are natives, AFAIK, so you're never going to back down, I have a feeling.) In short, different strokes for different folks. You'll see what I mean once you've lived here awhile.

And that's my final word on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 11:43 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,828,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I like Vienna quite a bit since I live here. The downtown and the homes are not as charming as those in that link to Wheaton that JEB posted. But the schools are good and the community is friendly. If you don't mind paying big bucks, Bethesda, MD is a great place. A wonderful, walkable downtown with many charming older homes, and great schools. Alexandria has a great downtown, but the schools are not rated so highly. Good luck with your move!
I like Vienna too, and I think it is charming. Different strokes for different folks, I guess--that's why I like the photo tours. You can make up your own mind what you find charming.

Vienna

Also, here's one of Alexandria

Alexandria-Old Town

Old 01-06-2010, 11:56 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,615,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Suffice it to say, OP, that middle-class-to-'wealthy' D.C. suburbs have a very different feel from the middle-class-to-'wealthy' Chicago suburbs. (You guys - JEB77 and robbobobbo - are natives, AFAIK, so you're never going to back down, I have a feeling.) In short, different strokes for different folks. You'll see what I mean once you've lived here awhile.

And that's my final word on the subject.
I don't think anyone on this thread disagrees with the observation that affluent Chicago suburbs have a different feel from their NoVa counterparts. Our suburbs are more sprawling, whereas the most affluent Chicago suburbs tend to be older, more self-contained, and less diverse.

However, a number of us did disagree with your suggestion that NoVa somehow developed in a unique, aberrational manner. The fact that affluent parts of Old Town are near some comparatively run-down sections of Alexandria is no more surprising than the fact that the Upper East Side of Manhattan borders East Harlem, or affluent Maplewood, New Jersey sits right next door to depressed Irvington. And strip malls sometimes can be convenient without necessarily being ugly or seedy.

FYI - It seems that you've suggested that the "natives" won't "back down" because we don't know any better, but the assumption is wrong. I have spent more time in this area than anywhere else, but I'm not a native of the DC area, have lived in a number of different states, and have spent a fair amount of time in the Midwest as well. There are things to like, and not like, about both Chicagoland and this area.

Last edited by JD984; 01-06-2010 at 12:21 PM..

Old 01-06-2010, 12:02 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,828,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
There are things I like, and don't like, about both Chicagoland and this area.
LOL, and I've seen you speak very openly when there's things you don't like, too. Same goes for me. Normally I encourage people to move here because I happen to like it here. But there have been times I tried to discourage someone if I felt it wasn't going to work out well for them. Nova's a great place, but not for everyone.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:54 PM

Just curious, JEB77 - where in the Midwest did you live? (And if you say "Pittsburgh," I'm going to fall out of my chair laughing. I'd never heard Pittsburgh described as being part of the Midwest before participating in this section of CD.)

Old 01-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Just curious, JEB77 - where in the Midwest did you live? (And if you say "Pittsburgh," I'm going to fall out of my chair laughing. I'd never heard Pittsburgh described as being part of the Midwest before participating in this section of CD.)
AB - Wouldn't want you to fall out of your chair, or off your bike for that matter. If you read my post, I never said I lived full-time in the Midwest, only that I'd spent time there (Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Missouri). Not sure if Kentucky counts, too, although I think Louisville is a neat town. In any event, I will have to depend on you to extol the virtues of Des Moines, Omaha and the Quad Cities.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:01 PM

What do you know about Des Moines and Omaha other than what you've heard some ****** comedian from Long Island say? In spite of being relatively small and having the (usually ignorance-fueled) sort of reputations that would make you reference them the way you just did, both those cities have tons of neighborhoods that are very, very cute. NoVA has a reputation that it can't live up to, sad to say (sad since I have to live here, and I was sort of snowed by the reputation back when I was still a [heh!] naive Midwesterner). Too late to say you've 'lived' or 'spent significant time' in either of those cities. But there's always the "My good buddy lived/s there" one.

And let's talk Missouri, please. I lived there for twenty years (minus my grad years in Evanston, IL), so I'll be happy to share stories, or extol virtues, or whatever.

And Kentucky? What, is WV Midwestern, too, now?

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 01-06-2010 at 04:48 PM..

Old 01-06-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
What do you know about Des Moines and Omaha other than what you've heard some ****** comedian from Long Island say? In spite of being relatively small and having the (usually ignorance-fueled) sort of reputations that would make you reference them the way you just did, both those cities have tons of neighborhoods that are very, very cute. NoVA has a reputation that it can't live up to, sad to say (sad since I have to live here, and I was sort of snowed by the reputation back when I was still a [heh!] naive Midwesterner). Too late to say you've 'lived' or 'spent significant time' in either of those cities. But there's always the "My good buddy lived/s there" one.

And let's talk Missouri, please. I lived there for twenty years (minus my grad years in Evanston, IL), so I'll be happy to share stories, or extol virtues, or whatever.

And Kentucky? What, is WV Midwestern, too, now?
I was simply conceding that, in comparson with some other places in the Midwest where I've spent time, I really don't know anything about Des Moines and Omaha, two other Midwestern cities you've praised in other posts. They may be great places but I'd have to rely on you or others to sing their praises. There's no need for you to be habitually defensive that everyone in this area thinks the Midwest is "flyover territory." It's not what I think, or what I sense to be the view of other posters on this sub-forum.

Re Missouri: St. Louis has some of the best 19th century architecture (particularly residential) in the country, and Washington University in St. Louis is a gem. St. Louis has lost much of its population over the past 50 years, just like Pittsburgh, but it's certainly a place with many neighborhoods that deserve to be cherished and that one would love to see renovated. As to Kentucky, you'd find quite a few posters on the Kentucky C-D forums debating whether their state should be considered Midwestern, or Southern, or a hybrid of the two.

To bring this back to the original post (and this will be my last post on this thread), I think that, whatever differences exist between a town like Wheaton and the NoVa suburbs, someone from that town ultimately could find a place here or in the Maryland suburbs of DC that would meet their needs well, unless they were extremely narrow-minded and parochial in their views. That's actually not the vibe the OP was conveying.

P.S. - Please study Yiddish a bit more before tossing out an odd phrase like "****** (sic) comedian from Long Island"! So you never watched or enjoyed "Seinfeld" (not that there's anything wrong with that)?

Last edited by JD984; 01-06-2010 at 07:17 PM..

Old 01-06-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
P.S. - Please study Yiddish a bit more before tossing out an odd phrase like "****** (sic) comedian from Long Island"! So you never watched or enjoyed "Seinfeld" (not that there's anything wrong with that)?
When I spelled the s-word properly, C-D turned it into asterisks - you're welcome to try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia