U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 05:39 PM

35 posts, read 110,061 times

Advertisements

I am a Chicago native, moved out to Florida in seven Looong years ago, I have three children 13, 11, and 9, I am a professional firefighter, working on a Masters degree in emergency management, then a PhD hopefully, I have a dream of retiring and going to work for FEMA or DHS. I have been considering a move to Prince William County Fire Department or maybe Fairfax Fire, I have been in my profession for over 16 years. I need advice about living in virginia, number one concern public schools, safety, everything else for me will fall into place after that, so I need some advice, my only experience was visiting Virginia when my aunt used to live in Roanoke. So any advice please pass it on, thanks in advance for all of your time and effort, and happy new year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 06:54 PM

845 posts, read 2,068,517 times
It's very difficult to get a job like that right now.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 PM

4,687 posts, read 5,524,435 times
If your primary concern is public schools, Fairfax County schools are widely acknowledged as being better than Prince William County schools. That's not to say there aren't good schools in Prince William, but on balance, Fairfax is your best bet for good public schools.

I checked the FC and PWC government websites for firefighter positions. Here's what I found:

http://www.pwcgov.org/jobs/Jobs2/vac...VacancyID=3725

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/jobs/l...sp?job=09-9023

Old 01-04-2010, 08:06 PM
TPL

136 posts, read 274,683 times
Well first off, thanks for the job which you do . I can't even begin to list the number of times which you Firefighters have helped out family members of mine in various situations. I even had the local station Captain stop by on Christmas this year lol, all because of a botched alarm system. It was great talking to him though, and it definitely made our day (My sister even ran after the engine with a plate full of cookies for the guys lol).

I can tell you that in my experience, Fairfax Co. Fire is a great institution, and they built a new station closer to my house a few years back (Station 39, Reston, VA). We also have two other stations relatively nearby (Station 25, Reston, VA, and Station 4, Herndon, VA). A great Hospital is also located here (Reston Hospital, highly noted for Orthopedics, and Northern VA's only accredited Chest Pain Center. Fairfax Hospital, which is not far away (A quick Medevac FLT), is highly noted for Cardiac Medicine, and especially Heart Surgery). We also have a Police Station, and a local Government Center located here.

I know I might be talking a little too specific in regards to Reston, VA only, but most of my experience is there. It is located in Western Fairfax County (FYI), which is about 20 miles west of Washington, D.C., and only five miles from Dulles International Airport.

Fairfax County is overall a safe place, although you of course have some areas here or there which I would avoid moving into. Our school system is pretty much second to none in terms of funding, size, and quality. I went through the entire system (K-12), and I enjoyed it tremendously.

If you want any specifics, or if you have anymore questions, please feel free to drop me a line, or post any further concerns/questions.

BTW, we have a unique set-up here in terms of a federal government presence, and especially so regarding DHS. There is a specialized center or two around here, which you will most likely never find mention of (Unless you work within a related field).

NoVa is definitely not Roanoke, but it is the place to go, for the field of work which you are interested in.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:34 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,849,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPL View Post
Well first off, thanks for the job which you do .
I totally agree, and thanks for saying that!

As for finding work, I don't know much about your field. But in general I'd be nervous about moving anywhere without a job offer these days. Yes, the economy is good in Nova right now--but that's when compared to the rest of the country. We're having problems like everywhere else and you could be looking for work for months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia