U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 AM

16 posts, read 53,512 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job waiting for him in Arlington, but the thought of living on the east coast in a bit scary! My biggest question is what area should I be focusing on for house hunting? We will of course go visit, but right now we are trying to figure out if this is even financially possible--- everything is so expensive around Arlington. How far out should I look? Thank you so much-- Ann!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 11:07 AM

239 posts, read 634,262 times
When I move to a new local...including here to Arlington...I look on realtor.com to get an idea of homes, location, etc.
A ton of people have moved here from the west coast, depending on where you are from the prices are very similar.
You need to look in previous posts. You will get neighborhood info, price info, school info if needed.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:07 AM

486 posts, read 1,491,970 times
There are a lot of unanswered questions to help you figure out if this move would be right for your and your husband...

What is scary to you about moving to the east coast?

How long of a commute are you willing to tolerate?

What kind of community/suburb are you looking for?

Do you have kids/will you have kids soon?

What kind of housing situation are you looking for? Rent or buy?

Let's start there?

Old 01-05-2010, 11:16 AM

Default thank you!

What is scary to you about moving to the east coast? Everything! we've never lived east of the mississippi.... everything seems much more fast paced...money oriented. The crime is another thing, we've always lived in very safe, family oriented communities.

How long of a commute are you willing to tolerate? No longer than an hour.

What kind of community/suburb are you looking for? Something is simple. To give a snapshot of what are family is like: husband is currently military so we have a huge focus on our family since we have to seperated all the time..... we highly value me being a stay at home mom, church, part time homeschooling....sort of 1950s values here.

Do you have kids/will you have kids soon? We are in our mid-twenties and currently have one child, but would love to have more.

What kind of housing situation are you looking for? Rent or buy? After constant moving we would love to buy and just be settled!

Thank you so much for all your help-- I'm a little overwhelmed and didn't even know where to start! --Ann

Old 01-05-2010, 12:14 PM

486 posts, read 1,491,970 times
Ann,

These are just my opinions and I'm sure other people here can offer their opinions too... Yes, life is more fast paced and money oriented if you let that be part of your life. There are areas of higher crime than others, but overall Northern Virginia is pretty safe.

If you're willing to commute up to an hour, you have quite a few areas in which you could look. Plus since you have a child and want more, you should focus on the areas with good schools. Arlington, Fairfax and Loudoun counties have excellent schools overall, but there are better schools than others.

Given what you've mentioned, I'll suggest quite a few areas I think you might like, just know the prices will be all over the map. Try North Arlington, McLean, Vienna, Oakton, Reston, Fairfax, and the Del Ray area of Alexandria.

That's probably a good start... and as another poster said already, there are ton of other postings like yours from other people who moved here from the West Coast.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:20 PM

7,968 posts, read 18,087,474 times
Another very important question is: What is your housing budget?

You may like the West Springfield/Burke area. I would predict you would love Ashburn and its considerable SAHM population; the compromise there would be the likely hour-plus commute. At least your husband would have numerous kindred souls commuting with him.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:27 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,134,651 times
NoVa is relatively safe. There are far more good neighborhoods than bad, i.e., Fairfax County has over a million people and last year we had 11 murders, and most of that was due to domestic violence. You'd be hard-pressed to find another million-plus jurisdiction in the country that had a lower murder rate.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:36 PM

696 posts, read 1,499,172 times
We just moved from Seattle to Fairfax and settled on the Fairfax/Burke area. There are a number of moms groups on this area, good churches, good preschools and easy to shopping, etc. We looked at 37 houses and settled on a great neighborhood. If you'd like more info then PM me. BTW, I have two small children, 2 dogs, work 1/2 time...and get what you are going for!!!

Old 01-05-2010, 01:51 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,410,245 times
My main gripe with the East Coast can be expressed pretty succinctly with this Bob Seger lyric:

"I ain't got nothing 'gainst the East coast,
You want some people, well they got the most."

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 01-05-2010 at 02:02 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 03:01 PM

Thank you all so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Another very important question is: What is your housing budget?

You may like the West Springfield/Burke area. I would predict you would love Ashburn and its considerable SAHM population; the compromise there would be the likely hour-plus commute. At least your husband would have numerous kindred souls commuting with him.
We are still trying to figure that out....with the extra cost of commuting and just daily life that I am assuming will be more expensive I'm not too sure.....right now we are guessing 300K. Which from the little I've looked doesn't go far at all

Thanks again! -- Ann
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia